IGNORED

Which accessories for old consoles do you wish a company would make nowadays?

M-S

8 hours ago, M-S said:

Why paddles? Aren't there many modern paddle controllers like the Hyperkin one? Do these have some kind of problem?

Aside from the ATGames Paddles,  which were an old, obscure release (or available with the Flashbacks, the Good ones, not the Walmart / GameStop versions because (until recently) they carried only the "Impulse buy" composite Crap versions)...The only one I even know of is the Hyperkin.  And even as a general fan of Hyperkin (Never an issue from me),  the design of these just doesn't appeal to me.  Maybe they're better than they look,  or move a full screen with less than half a twist or something, but it looks to me like the controller itself gets in the way of the paddle moving fully...

I think there would be a market for new crt tvs. If nothing else, a boutique thing. Nothing super fancy like HD or wide screen, just standard 3/4 tv in the 13-25" range. Plenty of older (almost all pre 2k) systems simply look/work better on them. Yes I know old sets are still somewhat common, but the newest ones are going on two decades old now.

Magnafiers, and lighting options for handhelds. Some of the newest ones are fine, but there's plenty of older stuff that could benefit, gba, novel pockets, etc, and they made millions of them, I KNOW I'm not the only one actively playing them still.

Paddles, yes you can clean them, to an extent, but many are simply worn out. I'd love go try marble craze 2 playered sometime, and there's actually a decent number of paddle games for 2600. I'm sure these would work for other systems with a db9 plug, though I don't know of paddle games outside Atari.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Video said:

I think there would be a market for new crt tvs. If nothing else, a boutique thing. Nothing super fancy like HD or wide screen, just standard 3/4 tv in the 13-25" range. Plenty of older (almost all pre 2k) systems simply look/work better on them. Yes I know old sets are still somewhat common, but the newest ones are going on two decades old now.

Magnafiers, and lighting options for handhelds. Some of the newest ones are fine, but there's plenty of older stuff that could benefit, gba, novel pockets, etc, and they made millions of them, I KNOW I'm not the only one actively playing them still.

Paddles, yes you can clean them, to an extent, but many are simply worn out. I'd love go try marble craze 2 playered sometime, and there's actually a decent number of paddle games for 2600. I'm sure these would work for other systems with a db9 plug, though I don't know of paddle games outside Atari.

crapload of paddle games for C64 and Vic20. They used a slightly narrower resistance range on C= paddles, but they do interchange.

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I just thought of something I don't think exists...Someone should make an adapter to let you use an Atari Paddle to play NES Arkanoid!  Now that would be cool!

There was one, and also similar for the SMS

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

The only one I even know of is the Hyperkin.  And even as a general fan of Hyperkin (Never an issue from me),  the design of these just doesn't appeal to me.  Maybe they're better than they look,  or move a full screen with less than half a twist or something, but it looks to me like the controller itself gets in the way of the paddle moving fully...

Maybe you should look at a review of that controller, I never tested it but it doesn't look that uncomfortable.

5 hours ago, Video said:

I think there are only two brands that still make CRTs, Bang&Olufsen and Dotronix, you can also buy some brand new tubes from Aliexpress, I don't know if they are actually new or just new old stock, the shipping is quite expensive since they are so heavy.

One of the challenges of making affordable CRTs nowadays would be opening entire factories just for making the tubes and the electron cannon that projects the image. While if a company wanted to make a portable console or a screen for the PSOne they would just buy a pack of screens and update it with their own control boards.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:21 PM, Pixelboy said:

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, like a boardgame similar to Thief, Scotland Yard or Dark Tower, or a card battle game à la Yu-Gi-Oh, or a tactical RPG in which you could scan in your "soldier creatures" whose characteristics would be encoded in the barcode (so you could try different barcodes from all kinds of real-life products and see what you get in the game).

So, Barcode Battler?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’d love to have had a home computer add on for my Sega Genesis. Imagine if the Sega model one CD add on came with a KB and mouse and you could use it to write papers for school or learn typing or basic. It would be like a modern Coleco Adam. 

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

Yeah a crt would be nice, but with modern tech, there's no reason not to have a 320x240, or 640x480 LCD with a great analog tuner. They used to sell digital tuner boxes so you could use old TVs for the encroaching digital shift in ota signals, why not something similar but for analog consoles? Many modern TVs don't even have composite or component hookups, its literally HDMI or nothing, or cable, but how many support analog through that?

I don't think the problem is oddball resolution, even with the funkalicious Atari 2600, especially with a 1080 p or 4k set. Its the lack of a good tuner.