IGNORED

Can’t use NCOPY with wildcards

andyhants

I’m trying to use NCOPY from the SDX command processor running under the Altirra emulator to copy multiple files from an FTP site on the N: device to a Dx: Drive (eg D3: which is an APT drive partition running on a virtual HD via Ult1Mb / SIDE3 ) using wildcards. So for example NCOPY N:FTP://FTP.PIGWA.NET/stuff/collections/holmes cd/Holmes 2/Atari Archives/*.txt,D3:*.txt

When I use NCOPY to copy a single file - so with fully defined filenames it works fine but whenever I try any combination using wildcards I get an ‘Error 144’ error - presumably from SDX. looking up the error in the SDX manual it states it’s a write protected or bad sector error.

Cn anyone please advise what may be going wrong? Presumably others are using NCOPY from N: to Dx: drives with wildcards without a problem.

Thanks for any help or advice offered.

Yes you are both right - thanks it's my inappropriate use of the destination filename. D3: is indeed sufficient.

Also for enyone else in a similar situation - bear in mind the SDX filenaming conventions are quite limited  - only 8.3 alphanumerics allowed plus '_' and '@'. So where I've been trying to do wildcard NCOPY of ANTIC files like '85-10.ARC' it won't work as the '-' is an invalid character. So the moral is be careful to visually parse a FTP directory contents in advance to ensure it doesn't contain non SDX acceptable filenames before trying to NCOPY etc.

• 2 weeks later...