IGNORED

Wyvern Tales Gaiden

Ninjabba

Greetings fellow Atarians!

Today marks exactly 10 years since I announced Wyvern Tales for the Atari Lynx! The development took much longer than anticipated and due to hardware constraints the final game was shorter than I envisioned. As a result, the original story that I was planning never made it into the original game and I had to cut a lot of corners to create the final game.

I am here to announce the official prequel, Wyvern Tales Gaiden! This game will be more story focused than the previous entry and will focus events leading up to the original Wyvern Tales.

I'm planning to reuse the original engine with minor tweaks and hopefully it'll take much less time to complete than the previous entry.

Thank you for your attention!
Ninjabba
Poster_Lynx.thumb.png.8da3405eb8d1b113cf128f602d7ce1b7.png
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

This is awesome.  I avoided RPGs my whole life because I didn't care for the turn-based gameplay.  But I love the Lynx, and I try to put some time into everything that comes out on it.  Wyvern Tales is largely the game that reversed my attitude toward jRPGs.  I played it to the end and loved it, and since then, I've finally been able to enjoy Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 1, Chrono Trigger, and (currently) Final Fantasy 7.  

To me, this announcement is amazing news (as is the announcement of Wyvern Tales 2).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WesleyrpgAust said:

Excellent news! Can't wait for the release.

Reminds me that i must start the original Wyvern Tales but i'm still waiting on the Cart adapters on the Analogue Pocket.

I suppose i could go old school and play on original hardware, but i don't have a McWill screen!

Well, this is the right title for the original hardware -- McWill is certainly not required to play (and enjoy). :)

I can't wait for Wyvern Tales Gaiden! I've been waiting years for a followup title.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, PFG 9000 said:

I played it to the end and loved it, and since then, I've finally been able to enjoy Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 1, Chrono Trigger, and (currently) Final Fantasy 7. 

This is really great to read! FF6 is my all-time favorite and the others on the list are amazing as well. I could also suggest Tactics Ogre, together with FF6 are my corner stones for endless inspiration; they recently did a new release (Tactics Ogre Reborn) which is available on all platforms these days.

Thanks for the excitement everyone! I'm looking forward to share more details on this project. With the years of experience I feel like its all much more manageable this time around.

• Like 2

Great news! Just when I was thinking that the Lynx hype from the last few years was seriously slowing down... :)

If I may ask, as a fellow programmer, I imagine that you will reuse WT engine, or at least part of it? In that event, will you consider:

- to give the opportunity to choose between random or non-random encounters. As much as I like J-RPG, this is something that really gets on my nerve today :D

- Giving the battleground backgrounds the revamp treatment? WT is a super cute game, but I always thought that the battlegrounds were a bit off, too "flat" maybe?

But whether there will be some engine improvements or not, this will be high up on my waiting list!!!

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

I had a look to see how much it would take to port the original code to a newer template and quickly closed my editor once I saw the hexadecimal nightmare I created in the memory layout again.

Everything that you would flag for improvements have been done for good memory reasons in the past.. the background is scaled up for example to allow it in memory within the battle module. In retrospect, maybe some loading/unloading of sprite data while rendering the scene could overcome this issue (never tried this), but then there is the hard limit of the 256kb ROM size to which I'm very close to already in the original state.

My aim is to first create the story/maps/sprites and then see if I can make graphics/sfx and other improvements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MichelS said:

256kb ROM... why not 512?

Because I use a specific compiler with a specific template that was not made for 512kb ROM. It's not that straightforward (at least not to me) to update this. I've tried this in the past and failed miserably.

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

That's exactly where I'm at with Odynexus code at the moment :D Adding nightmarish code to save a few bytes here and there ^^

Good luck with that ;) the nightmare code is what made me stay away for years from the enging :D

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 3:55 AM, Ninjabba said:

I could also suggest Tactics Ogre, together with FF6 are my corner stones for endless inspiration; they recently did a new release (Tactics Ogre Reborn) which is available on all platforms these days.

I've played an hour or two of the SNES Ogre Battle game, and I have Let Us Cling Together on the PSP.  I can't really get I to them, but man, that artwork...the amazing art of the PSP game is what made me interested.  I bought the art book even though the game itself isn't my thing.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Ninjabba said:

Because I use a specific compiler with a specific template that was not made for 512kb ROM. It's not that straightforward (at least not to me) to update this. I've tried this in the past and failed miserably.

256KB vs 512KB is "just" a difference in the ROM blocksize and thus affects the offsets into the ROM to find the file you want to load to RAM.

If nothing else, once you get to the point of having some binary ROM assets (code, music, story screens, etc.) which would feed into a directory layout for the ROM, you could get help repackaging that into the 512KB layout. For example, I use a Python script to insert binary ROM assets into the desired ROM location. For Quadromania, I used a Python script to change the ROM from a 128KB to 256KB layout without reassembling the source code (ROM hack only).

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:00 PM, Songbird said:

256KB vs 512KB is "just" a difference in the ROM blocksize and thus affects the offsets into the ROM to find the file you want to load to RAM.

If nothing else, once you get to the point of having some binary ROM assets (code, music, story screens, etc.) which would feed into a directory layout for the ROM, you could get help repackaging that into the 512KB layout. For example, I use a Python script to insert binary ROM assets into the desired ROM location. For Quadromania, I used a Python script to change the ROM from a 128KB to 256KB layout without reassembling the source code (ROM hack only).

Thanks for the tip Carl! I have never tried this, but when the time is right I'll start asking around :)

• Like 2