IGNORED

Interest in a 4MB Axlon Compatible SRAM Card for the Atari 800

reifsnyderb

36 minutes ago, Vyvyan B. said:

I'd be in for one of these just to have the extra memory available. I was looking at the Incognito, but the idea of hacking up a near 50 year old archeological relic doesn't sit well with me.

I know what you mean and this potential plug and play 800 upgrade will make for a great alternative. I would say though that having installed several Incognito units in 800s, there is very little hacking involved at all. Virtually none if you don't do the ATR light emiter mod, it's just a few passive component swaps, (3 of them from memory and even then some are optional), a few additional wires and clever cable routing.

All totally reverseable and no alterations to the 800's casing, light emitter, etc. Great thing about the 800 is the logic chip you replace with the ribbon cable/harting connector is already socketed and all the boards, ram, OS are plug in modules anyway:) 

Edited by Beeblebrox

I know this is out there.....but give me 5 minutes...

Everyone knows Moore's law, whereby Gordon Moore posited that there would be a doubling of transistors every 2 years.

Compare that velocity with Reifsnyderb released his 1mb upgrade only a few months ago, and is now set to quadruple that, with a 4mb upgrade.

Which means we are now on a development velocity that far outpaces the PC world.  Should that continue, it follows logically, eventually achieving parity and even someday surpassing PC's in the years ahead.

Hmm, that only took 1 minute, you may have your 4 minutes back.   archeological relic, oh my....

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

I know this is out there.....but give me 5 minutes...

Everyone knows Moore's law, whereby Gordon Moore posited that there would be a doubling of transistors every 2 years.

Compare that velocity with Reifsnyderb released his 1mb upgrade only a few months ago, and is now set to quadruple that, with a 4mb upgrade.

Which means we are now on a development velocity that far outpaces the PC world.  Should that continue, it follows logically, eventually achieving parity and even someday surpassing PC's in the years ahead.

Hmm, that only took 1 minute, you may have your 4 minutes back.   archeological relic, oh my....

Now if we could manage a plug in card for VBXE / Rapidus for the 800... don't both of thos carry their own memory chunks as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Boards arrived on Monday and chips arrived today.  Here is the Mega 4.  4,128K of SRAM for the Atari 800.   😎

Board.thumb.JPG.dc5f36f2b30fd6086b2f669d72773982.JPG

(Yes, I need to clean the flux off yet.   🙂   )

TotalMemory.thumb.JPG.c5f3ef63746aa9340916f9a8dd455038.JPG

AxlonBanks.thumb.JPG.b125b134c6868b4e80b313d0711d594d.JPG

SpartaDOS.thumb.JPG.e7f3cace0a4b6e634273f7b329f7ac21.JPG

I'll post the new pictures up to my website (https://www.5cfab.com) today yet.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 9

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

Ok, finally catching up with old projects.

Is this board ready, tested and good to go? Are they available?

If so, I would definitely like one.

Cheers!

Hello,

They are tested and working.   🙂   I have them on ebay and Tindie.  Many times, however, I do buy the chips as I need them due to the cost.  So, sometimes it's an extra 3 days, or so, until I can ship.

Future boards will have the DS1210 (or equivalent) as a user-supplied option due to that chip being optional for the battery backed RAM and due them being available used from China.  But, I designed the boards so that that chip is optional anyhow as there are jumpers on the back to bypass the feature.  It also helps to troubleshoot the board as I've found the used DS1210 chips don't always work, either.

But, it all works really nice. 

Best Regards,

Brian

• Like 2

THANKS!!

Where on eBay? I can't find them...

(never mind, just found it!!!)

UPDATE: ordered the Mega4 and the last RamRom-2022, perfect combo for what the little "monster" I am finishing here (will test the whole thing with Bit3/FullView on Slot-03).

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

THANKS!!

Where on eBay? I can't find them...

(never mind, just found it!!!)

UPDATE: ordered the Mega4 and the last RamRom-2022, perfect combo for what the little "monster" I am finishing here (will test the whole thing with Bit3/FullView on Slot-03).

Cheers!

Thank you!  I just checked to see what chips I needed and have them coming.  I'll start assembling your boards, with the chips I have, later tonight or tomorrow.  I am waiting on the 1MB chips and they should, theoretically, be in Friday.  (For some reason, two day shipping is currently three day shipping.)

• Like 1