IGNORED

Telegames Lynx cartridge question

T.A.P.

I picked up a complete and supposedly new copy of Fidelity Chess Challenge last year from a seller on ebay and noticed it doesn't have the Fuji logo on the back of the cart. It was the first Telegames Lynx game I had purchased, so I thought nothing of it, but then, a few months later, my brother showed me his copy of the cart (which he's had since the early 90s when the Lynx was new), and it does have the Fuji on the cartridge.

Does this mean mine is a fake? I never really thought Lynx stuff was valuable enough to warrant bootlegging.

Mine is also Fuji-less.  I bought mine sealed around 15 years ago, when the Lynx market was so cheap that repro's were even more cost prohibitive than now.  I'm far from an expert on Atari authenticity matters, but I would bet it just comes down to Telegames and their lack of consistency/quality among releases.

It may depend on when it was produced. I know that Telegames continued to make and release some Lynx/Jaguar stuff after the demise of Atari and it subsequent repeated purchases/sales by other companies.

After the demise of Atari any previous licence to use anything trademarked/copyrighted to Atari would probably have ceased, thus for items produced post Atari it would be simpler, faster and cheaper to make cases without the Atari logo than to negotiate a new contract with whomever held the rights at the time just to be able to make cases with the Atari logo on it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 7:56 AM, T.A.P. said:

I picked up a complete and supposedly new copy of Fidelity Chess Challenge last year from a seller on ebay and noticed it doesn't have the Fuji logo on the back of the cart. It was the first Telegames Lynx game I had purchased, so I thought nothing of it, but then, a few months later, my brother showed me his copy of the cart (which he's had since the early 90s when the Lynx was new), and it does have the Fuji on the cartridge.

Does this mean mine is a fake? I never really thought Lynx stuff was valuable enough to warrant bootlegging.

My copy doesn't have a logo either, and neither does my original Desert Strike which was purchased from Telegames. As PFG 9000 said, it's probably more to do with Telegames and their lack of consistency/quality vs a fake copy. Although fake lynx games do exist, they are pretty rare and tend to be of the harder to find, expensive games.

• Like 1