IGNORED

Fluid simulation for new 2600 game concept

8bitPoet

Quite an interesting demo. I'd love to see it in action in a full game! As said previously, with LUTs and stuff with pre-done math, it very well could be feasible. I'd love to see this running on hardware.

Edited by Astal4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZackAttack said:

Do you have a title or project name for it?

Not yet. Some possible candidates are:

- Bedroom Bedlam

- Monkey Mayhem

- Bouncing Bedlam

- Two Little Monkeys

- Waterbed Bouncers

- Monkey Mischief 

Maybe I’ll post a poll after narrowing it down and having a playable demo. 

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:46 AM, 8bitPoet said:

MonkeyMayhem2600-animated-gamplay.thumb.gif.6248330b38c598c77ea97631542fc430.gif

Any other thoughts or comments?

This is a unique take on Circus! I guess the player must try to land the monkey on the top of the wave to increase the amplitude, similar to Circus where you must land on the far end of the seesaw to be able to reach the balloons? The animated mockup seems feasible, probably even as a 4K ROM.

Love the animation of the fan, by the way.

Looking forward to the playable demo!

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

I guess the player must try to land the monkey on the top of the wave to increase the amplitude, similar to Circus where you must land on the far end of the seesaw to be able to reach the balloons?

That’s correct. The player on the bed will be able to move horizontally, to position themselves for the most lift by predicting where the other player will land. A player’s trajectory will also be effected by their position of the wave. 

39 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Thanks!

12 hours ago, glurk said:

I was playing with a little mockup of this, it doesn't actually do anything, and its super incomplete, and I'm not a real 2600 programmer anyways, but here's something...

So cool to see it begin to take shape!

21 hours ago, 8bitPoet said:

Not yet. Some possible candidates are:

- Bedroom Bedlam

- Monkey Mayhem

- Bouncing Bedlam

- Two Little Monkeys

- Waterbed Bouncers

- Monkey Mischief 

Maybe I’ll post a poll after narrowing it down and having a playable demo. 

I was asking so we could create a repository for the code in github. How about waterbed-bouncers for the project name?

The title can be whatever you decide on later. You're the one making the title screen, right? 😁

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ZackAttack said:

I was asking so we could create a repository for the code in github. How about waterbed-bouncers for the project name?

Yep. That’ll be the working title :)

37 minutes ago, ZackAttack said:

You're the one making the title screen, right?

Of course :) 

I’m drafting up the game design doc and will post a link to it here. 

Will also start producing some of the graphical assets. 

I’ve decided that the best way to add an increasing challenge is to narrow the bed at higher stages. So I’ll design three different bed sizes. 

6 hours ago, glurk said:

Mostly as a programming experience 'self-challenge' I got the fan blades working in my mockup.  I like calling it "Mattress Monkies" hahaha...  New mockup:

mattress_monkies.bin 2 kB · 13 downloads  

Nice! Mattress Monkeys is fun. Kinda like Bed Bugs... only visible... and they can eat your face off.

6 hours ago, glurk said:

I'm not volunteering myself for this game, but I might try to help a bit if time allows.  I'm not a "real" 2600 guy, I just noodle with it...

No worries. I enjoy seeing your mockups. Which language are you programming in?

I'll be posting a design document as well as some assets that will make translating the screen and sprites easier. In case you wanna keep testing yourself.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, 8bitPoet said:

I adjusted the screen height and moved the scores and player lives down. Hopefully this is meets the proper atari spec for placement.

BedMonkeys-concept-screenshot.thumb.jpg.7d86cf5f75bf40666476fe631cd25b76.jpg

At first sight, displaying two 4-digit scores side by side without flickering, didn't seem feasible on the Atari 2600.

But after playing around with the RESP trick (i.e., setting the player objects to two or three copies and hitting RESP0/RESP1 multiple times on the same scanline), I found a way to display the two scores side by side without flickering.

two-4-digit-scores.png.d876d634b0ccd945532e9adedd9beac0.png

The ROM and source code displaying the above screen:

Note that this proof-of-concept kernel uses a hardcoded score. If you want to use this for Waterbed Bouncers/Mattress Monkeys, your developer needs to use some sort of fast-fetch mode (i.e. ARM overriding immediate loads) for feeding the score graphics. Or otherwise make changes to the code to get it working without immediate loads (+ using RAM?); there are still 24 free cycles in the kernel, so there should be some wiggle room there.

While I'm not available for a collaboration, this proof-of-concept was just something which I wanted to investigate and maybe/hopefully it can help the devs of your game.

[Edit: I think the same "two groups of 4 digits"-trick was also used for showing score+timer in Boulderdash 2600, programmed by @Thomas Jentzsch and @Andrew Davie. So I'm definitely not the first to come up with this.]

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

While I'm not available for a collaboration, this proof-of-concept was just something which I wanted to investigate and maybe/hopefully it can help the devs of your game.

Wow! Thanks for figuring this out. It's great to see the community view this as a challenge.

• Like 1

Still working on the Game Design Document, but thought I'd share how the difficulty will increase throughout the gameplay.

There will be three stages. The bed size starts off as a king size in phase 1. Then shrinks to a full size in phase 2. And finally a twin size in phase 3.

Falling off the bed or touching the fan results in a lost life.

BedMonkeys-stages-mockup.thumb.jpg.46d14dc1e09e6ce29661d54dc26b2642.jpg

BTW, I consulted with @ZackAttack regarding the different carpet and blanket colors on the same line and he confirmed that it can be achieved with bus-stuffing. Let's hear it for bus-stuffing! I also just like saying "bus-stuffing".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 8bitPoet said:

BTW, I consulted with @ZackAttack regarding the different carpet and blanket colors on the same line and he confirmed that it can be achieved with bus-stuffing. Let's hear it for bus-stuffing! I also just like saying "bus-stuffing

I think it's probably possible without bus-stuffing, but it's nice to know we can!

• Like 1

Why the heck did I have an apple as the bonus fruit!? This is why iteration is so important. Sometimes the most obvious solution isn't immediately obvious.

The bonus fruit is now a banana. Which has inspired yet another name for this game... Bounce Bounce Bananas! 

Bounce-Bounce-Bananas.thumb.png.0cb685d8c56f474e322482e1f25f332b.png

(Don't get too attached to the name. I could change it tomorrow :P )

On 1/5/2023 at 7:32 AM, Dionoid said:

It looks 3D'ish even!

Mattress Monkeys sounds comical, edgy, funny, and is descriptive about the main theme.

Bedroom Bedlam is a good 2nd option. Describes the chaos going on and is also lighthearted.

Not sure I like Bounce Bounce Banana. Seems a little long and only glorifies the power-up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Mattress Monkeys sounds comical, edgy, funny, and is descriptive about the main theme.

Bedroom Bedlam is a good 2nd option. Describes the chaos going on and is also lighthearted.

Not sure I like Bounce Bounce Banana. Seems a little long and only glorifies the power-up.

Thanks for the feedback! Naming a game is harder than I thought.

It seems like Atari games were typically reduced to one or two words. Just enough to describe the game and probably so they would fit on the label.

One-Word games: Adventure, Combat, Asteroids, Circus, Pitfall, Frogger, Qbert, Centipede, Pitfall, Kaboom, Pacman, DigDug, etc.

Two-Word games: Space Invaders, Missile Command, Pole Position, River Raid, Night Driver, Sky Diver, Haunted House, etc.

It's not even tomorrow and I'm already rethinking the name!

CHALLENGE TO ALL: Name this game using one or two words.

• Like 1