IGNORED

Season 13 ~ Week 17 ~ Paddle Week 1

Vocelli

Paddle weeks are always my least favourite part of HSC, due to the problem of trying to play via emulation using a mouse. If I could get retro USB paddles in the way I have a joystick that recreates the feel of an 80s joystick, it would be so much better.

As for the games themselves, I really like Night Driver. I love racing games, and this is pretty much the first game using the third person perspective. This version is challenging (but still fun). and I have played the slightly less hard versions more this week as a result of playing this in HSC.

Encounter is a funny one. In isolation, eveything about it is rubbish. The graphics are poor, the sound very limited, and the game play repetitive. It even has the ulrimate gameplay fun killer of frustrating cheap deaths. This should be an awful game. . . . . .and yet it isn't. It's far from a classic, and I doubt I'll return to it after the week is out. BUt it's a fun game that I'd never tried, and I'm glad to be giviing this a try through HSC. 

Anyway, it's midnight here in London, and I'm tired. So that's enough from me, here are some scores

Encounter at L-5 (1982) (Data Age)_2.png

Night Driver (1980) (Atari) (4K)_4.png

• Like 8

On 12/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, Jasonhrb said:

Paddle weeks are always my least favourite part of HSC, due to the problem of trying to play via emulation using a mouse. If I could get retro USB paddles in the way I have a joystick that recreates the feel of an 80s joystick, it would be so much better.

me too. I scored 143 and didn't bother to take a snapshot

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Doesn’t change my bonus, but my pb on Night Driver increased. I tried to focus on the middle or top of the screen to anticipate the turns.

Something I figured out with Night Driver is the road is the same sequence of 3 or 4 turns that repeat.  Recognizing this pattern really helps to anticipate the next move. Even after knowing the path, I think there are a couple turns in each lap where crashing is inevitable.

• Like 3