IGNORED

Bought a Switch for my daughter for Christmas, questions...

82-T/A

So, my daughter never really played console systems growing up. She got right into computers, and that's what she grew up with. We had a Wii, and she's occasionally seen me play my Atari Jaguar and my VCS... but other than playing the Wii with the wife, she's not had one. She kind of hinted that she wanted a Switch, so I picked one up. I bought her a Switch Lite (pink one) simply because I didn't really understand or get the whole point of all that disconnecting crap. Can someone explain that to me? 

If it's a handheld system, why do I want all this crap that disconnects... what is the benefit of that? And second, if they're going to make a console system... why not just make a console? It's not that I didn't want to spend the money, but I was thinking about back in the day when I had a GameBoy... do I really want a GameBoy where all the shit's disconnecting from it when I'm trying to play it? I just don't understand the point. Is it a Wii, or is it a handheld system?

Anyway, I got her the Switch Lite. I also bought her several games including Among Us, some Dragon Quest game (which looks like some modern kids version of the Dragon Warrior game I played on the NES when I was 12), and then some emo-emotional teenager girl game called Life is Strange.

I heard something about not all games working on the Lite because they need those detachable controllers. Is this true? Or will she be just fine? I have a feeling this will be like her Oculus Quest 2, which I bought for her, and she plays only when her friends come over, otherwise she has no interest whatsoever in it...

Are there any other good games that a 13 year old girl would like?

Thanks!

• Confused 2

Most games will work fine. Some rare ones use the infrared sensor on a joycon. It also doesn't have rumble.

The disconnecting controllers (joycons) on the full size Switch can be used for different control options like used as two separate small controllers or as one somewhat normal controller with the built in hunk of plastic.

I got my daughter one when she was 12 and she still uses it at 15. She likes Fortnite (free), Mario Kart 8, Minecraft, Rayman and Rocket League (free).

• Like 1

@82-T/A

I bought her a Switch Lite (pink one) simply because I didn't really understand or get the whole point of all that disconnecting crap. Can someone explain that to me?

If it's a handheld system, why do I want all this crap that disconnects... what is the benefit of that? And second, if they're going to make a console system... why not just make a console?

-- The idea is a few, but largely versatility.  The system was meant as a handheld but equally as a console, a hybrid in every sense.  With the detached controllers, on a non-LITE you get a kickstand, it basically works on a flat surface like a portable mini TV console.  Each joycon has hidden top buttons, not the full load, but enough to be like a Super Nintendo pad (L+R+4 face+directions and pause.)  Many games will work using the little controllers, so you slide them off, and off you go doing SMash, Mario kart, various party games etc.  Some games are tweaked only really to work, few though, gimmicky, so no loss.  Is it a Wii or a handheld, it's more like is it a PS3 or a Vita I guess, and, it's both and neither.  It's what you choose to make of it, with the LITE you just went handheld only, no tv play, which is fine, she won't suffer for it as a personal device.

I heard something about not all games working on the Lite because they need those detachable controllers. Is this true? Or will she be just fine?

-- She's fine, there are very very very few that require using detached controllers, largely they're party games meant for a few people to toss around the little controllers to goof off with, and largely, they're crap.

As far as 13 goes, I'd feel out what you think she enjoyed on Wii, what you know she did like about PC games and look.  There are a lot of unique first and second party games, but also a good amount of very very solid ports from other systems and PC too since it's very capable.  There are also old games you recall like DragonQuest which are alive again on there with the fantastic DQ 11S.

Also for $20/yr you have the online membership, cloud saves are big if anything every fails, but equally so the large library of NES+SNES games free with their app right there off the menu, which gives her an instant library of over 100 games to enjoy at no added cost.

• Like 1

They have Switch Sports, but that's only for the regular console I guess, as you'd need to use the joy con controllers with it. I loved Wii Sports, and that was a huge massive hit when people came over to our house. I should've kept my Wii. Ended up giving it to the neighbor kids like 5 years ago.

Your daughter may like Animal Crossing New Horizons. Also I'd definitely look into that online membership for all the games available on there. She might like some of the classic games.

i opine on this all the time, but i feel like both consoles have their use-cases. 

My Lite gets way more use traveling or for doctor appointments since it's just easier to cart around.  I haven't played any games yet (and i play a LOT of Switch) that really couldn't be played on either console.

If I'm propped up in bed, though, or sitting on the living room couch, I'd much rather use my 'big' Switch handheld with its Hori grips or docked to the tv.  For me it's just a better experience.

For games, it just really depends on the player.  I do feel like, though, the Switch truly does have 'something for everyone' so I couldn't even begin to give recommendations.   I think in another thread I did give some breakdowns by genre at the time, though.

I’ve got a few step- daughters and my daughter who are in that age range (twins at 14, one at 12 and mine also 12). They mostly play on the Wii U but most of the titles there are on Switch.  The big games for them are Zelda:Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Fall Guys (they played more on PC but some did grab my Switch), Super Smash zbros, and Rayman Legends.  Recently I got a twin and my 12YO step daughter into Castle Crashers (who also likes FPS games and wants to deeply murder me and an elder sibling in Quake).

As always, YMMV. 

My kid's Switch Lite had to be sent in twice for repairs,  I'm not impressed with the quality of the lite,   if money's not an issue, I'd go for the regular Switch.

I'd also second the recommendation of Animal Crossing.

I think Among Us is online only, in case that's an issue for you.

• 4 weeks later...