IGNORED

Colecovision Robotron 2084 Released!

AnalogKid

For those who have been patiently waiting for Robotron to be released, it's now available for ordering: ROBOTRON 2084

I'd like to thank everyone for their constructive input and for their beta-testing.  The CollectorVision team did a really fantastic job on the packaging and media, shout out Robb, shout out Toby.  I hope the game lives up to people's expectations and most of all, that you all have fun playing it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Next to Dino Eggs, your game has been my most anticipated CV release ever! It's a great day this has finally come to fruition.

For those who can't afford to pay $65 for the full physical cart and game at the moment, is a ROM download available as a less expensive option?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AnalogKid said:

For those who have been patiently waiting for Robotron to be released, it's now available for ordering: ROBOTRON 2084

I'd like to thank everyone for their constructive input and for their beta-testing.  The CollectorVision team did a really fantastic job on the packaging and media, shout out Robb, shout out Toby.  I hope the game lives up to people's expectations and most of all, that you all have fun playing it.

Ordered!  

Thanks to everyone involved with making this game.

Edited by sramirez2008

12 hours ago, zyzzle said:

Next to Dino Eggs, your game has been my most anticipated CV release ever! It's a great day this has finally come to fruition.

For those who can't afford to pay $65 for the full physical cart and game at the moment, is a ROM download available as a less expensive option?

The retailer, CollectorVision, only sells physical media.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, AnalogKid said:

The retailer, CollectorVision, only sells physical media.

They also have ROM collections of some of their games at 75 dollars (search vault on their store), as well as a more expensive club that has a combination of ROMs and physical games. Some of the roms were available on the AA forums and Pang isn't actually in the first vault despite being listed (it's in the second one instead).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just want to give a heads up and check in with others that have ordered and played Robotron 2084 for the Colecovision.   I  am a big supporter of Collectorvision and the homebrew scene.    Upon getting the game and playing it, I am having my game crash at/near Wave 20 each time I play.    This bug can be repeated on both original hardware and the Phoenix.   

Here is  the video and around the 8:09 mark you can see my issue I am having  with the cart.   Anyone else have this issue?   I also have reached out to Collectorvision and they are looking into the matter.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swlovinist said:

Just want to give a heads up and check in with others that have ordered and played Robotron 2084 for the Colecovision.   I  am a big supporter of Collectorvision and the homebrew scene.    Upon getting the game and playing it, I am having my game crash at/near Wave 20 each time I play.    This bug can be repeated on both original hardware and the Phoenix.   

Here is  the video and around the 8:09 mark you can see my issue I am having  with the cart.   Anyone else have this issue?   I also have reached out to Collectorvision and they are looking into the matter.

Do you have the means to dump the cartridge (need the AtariMax MaxFlash Cart with CV Adapter) to a rom image that can be played via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart? Seems there are a slowly growing number of games that experience issues when the actual cartridge is used versus played via a rom file. It actually makes sense that this could be the case seeing as I can only assume that beta testers are playing the rom file via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart and to lesser extent using an emulator like CoolCV.

3 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Well at least they responded back to you regarding the issue to look into it. I never did get a reply to my issues regarding my physical copy of Suite Macabre that doesn't go beyond the 3rd screen on actual CV consoles. Someone sent me the ROM of the game a while back and that seems to play without issue through my AMax SD so I at least have a way to play it, but not likely to ever purchase another game from Collectorvision in the future given the lack of response I received to my issue.

I am not 100% sure but I had the same similar thing happen with Mr. Do's Castle.
Look at your score...   It may have to do with it going past 16 bit BCD math.
I suspect the first two numbers are there just for show?

The game looks solid but was there an expectation that anyone would last that long in the game?  Tested thoroughly?
If I were searching through the code for a bug I would start there.

11 hours ago, NIAD said:

Do you have the means to dump the cartridge (need the AtariMax MaxFlash Cart with CV Adapter) to a rom image that can be played via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart? Seems there are a slowly growing number of games that experience issues when the actual cartridge is used versus played via a rom file. It actually makes sense that this could be the case seeing as I can only assume that beta testers are playing the rom file via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart and to lesser extent using an emulator like CoolCV.

I have an AtariMax with Coleco Addon and I do have an AtariMax Ultimate SD cart.   I guess I can dump the game and see if the rom does not have issues.   I will TRY to do this this weekend if I have time.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I have an AtariMax with Coleco Addon and I do have an AtariMax Ultimate SD cart.   I guess I can dump the game and see if the rom does not have issues.   I will TRY to do this this weekend if I have time.  

That would be the best option or if CollectorVision would send you the rom image and save you some time dumping the cartridge.

Them sending you the rom image would probably be BEST seeing as it is the game code that they used to burn to a rom chip in your cartridge. If the code on the rom chip in your cartridge was corrupted (even by 1 bit), then any dump you make will have the same issue.

BTW, you’ll have to dump a couple times as the size is unknown… it might be a standard 32K rom or a larger MegaCart rom.

11 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

They were also looking into one of the secret games that has a bug, and all went silent there since October 25th...

Seeing as there are more example of this happening, Homebrewers should look into expanding their beta testing methods ESPECIALLY for games that are sold on physical cartridges and not just sold as a rom image. Once burnt to a chip and assembled as a cartridge, it can be very expensive to fix and replace compared to sending out a new/patched rom image.

I can only guess that the heavy load of beta testing is accomplished using the rom image on a CV & AtariMax Ultimate SD Card, on a Phoenix and to a smaller extent thru emulation. I can only guess that minimal testing is done using an actual cartridge… probably inserting into system and powering on to make sure the game works.

So to avoid some of these issues that have been occurring, the beta testing needs to be expanded to allow for more time to test with cartridge as well as to test on as many possible hardware setups… CV, modded CV, Phoenix, EM#3 ADAM, Stand-Alone ADAM, etc.

Better to do the above than to have to deal with 100, 150, 200 or more physical cartridges that have a bug or corruption in the code seeing as no Homebrewer can afford to take that hit financially to fix and replace.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that the game looks AWESOME and love all the included controller options.

Everyone hates when situations like these arise and then you read all the posts that can diminish the excitement of seeing your game released.

Great job AnalogKid.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I just played 2 games and made it to Waves 36 and 40, so I'm not experiencing your issue. However, I did get stuck on waves 29 (1st game) and 31 (2nd game) with only the Hulks roaming around. I had to kill myself and then the game continued as expected. I apologize for the crappy video, but I don't have a capture device setup.  Note: I played both games using actual hardware. I'll try it on my Phoenix later.  Btw, Twin-Stick is the way to play. I honestly wouldn't purchased this game if this were not a controller option.

Wave 36.jpg

34480FD1-AD3C-4A42-BDF7-96D4B85AA291.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

Here is a troubling/confusing thing for me. A friend and I each have most or all of the secret games from Collectorvision. We each tested them on my two modded Colecovisions and then tested the same carts on his Phoenix and also on his Adam. We got different results from the same games on the same console but all the secret games worked on his Phoenix. We do need to test a few more but these are some examples of most of them. It is odd that the same game but different physical cartridge has different results on the same system. Do certain carts have different parts or something? I notice most or all of the secret games have on the front of the box that they work on the Adam, but not all of them do. 

His Star Fire does not work on his Adam but works on his Phoenix. My Star Fire Works on his Adam and on my modded original Colecovision. 

His secret game #1 from this year does not work on his Adam but works on his Phoenix. My secret game #1 does not work on my original modded Colecovision or his Adam but works on the Phoenix

His secret game #2 works on his Adam and also on his Phoenix. My secret game #2 does not work on his Adam nor works on my modded original Colecovision.

Our secret game #1 from last year still needs to be tested.

Our secret game #2 from last year worked on all consoles, both his and my game.

His secret game from 2 years ago does not work on his Adam but worked on his Phoenix. My secret game did not work on his Adam but worked on my modded original Colecovision. Not sure if we tried his on my modded Colecovision. 

Edited by AtariBrian

2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Bad news :(.   I was able to dump the Robotron cart with an Atarimax and play the rom on my Phoenix.   I died a few times but at Wave 22 it did the same crash and abruptly ended my game :(.  

To try to narrow the issue, I would recommend putting the rom file on the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart and playing on a ColecoVision. The more info that can be passed onto AnalogKid or CollectorVision, the better.