IGNORED

PlusCart - Explain it to me like I was five

uosipa llamxew

I'm just back from a bit of a break from gaming and I am seeing things about a PlusCart.  I visited the webpage and it seems to be a flashcart with internet connectivity so that you can download and share ROMs.  I have two other flascharts for my 2600 and this doesn't seem hugely beneficial to me.  Now, if there is netplay I would be sold.  I also noticed there is a separate hi-score club for the PlusCart, so there must be something I am missing!

Are there any salesmen here to can explain the Pros and Cons of the PlusCart over the Krokocart and the Melody cart?  I'm very curious and have tried to find more information on the webpage and these boards, but I am still confused and I keep getting the "wait 48 seconds before you conduct another search" message.  Thanks in advance for any information.  :)

23 minutes ago, uosipa llamxew said:

Now, if there is netplay I would be sold.  I also noticed there is a separate hi-score club for the PlusCart, so there must be something I am missing!

The internet connection of the PlusCart can be used in the 2600 ROM, this feature is called PlusROM function. The PlusROM HSC games are using these function to sent the scores to an internet backend (https://highscore.firmaplus.de/index.php). But these functions can also be used to receive data from an internet backend. An example for reading data from the Internet is my game C.A.V.E. Apocalypse

23 minutes ago, uosipa llamxew said:

Are there any salesmen here to can explain the Pros and Cons of the PlusCart over the Krokocart and the Melody cart?  I'm very curious and have tried to find more information on the webpage and these boards, but I am still confused and I keep getting the "wait 48 seconds before you conduct another search" message.  Thanks in advance for any information.  :)

The PlusCart uses a community maintained repository (PlusStore), so the users don't need to search and download new (homebrew) ROMs themselves and there is no need for fumbling around with SD-Cards anymore.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Online gaming is already possible with new games, but netplay with unaltered existing 2 player games is not possible.

That's excellent!  I saw some mention of ROMs being altered for use with the PlusCart and wondered.

10 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

It's "piqued"

You know, I thought it was.  I didn't want to use it wrong last night, so I looked it up.  Apparently, I didn't read the whole page though because I didn't get to piqued.  I landed on the definition for peaked and thought "reached a maximum" fit what I was trying to say.  Instead, I look like an idiot anyway.  Haha.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peek

Anyway, thanks.  

On 12/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, uosipa llamxew said:

I see that it is currently sold out on the website.  I will keep watching these threads and I may pick one up when they are available again.  :)

A new batch of PlusCarts arrived today. A few are already available in the online shop.

• Like 1