IGNORED

Full screen video?

Ecernosoft

Hello!

Before you say, "@Ecernosoft, there is LITERALLY something on the LZ4 depacker and other depackers  right below" I know. But how good are those for video?

I want ICT4 to come on a 128K cart, and with the lynx having 64K of RAM (And some of that needing to be used up by the frame buffer) I was wondering how fast I could render?

But, of course, I'm probably going to have 48K of RAM left after the double buffer screen and some of that will be used by the music/decompressor, so I'm thinking ~40K of compressed video.

If I need to, I'll do 512K but it's probably going to be a quick FMV like sonic CD (Only, higher quality than sonic CD). I'll probably use the speed shoes song from this video (Start at 1:45) (67) Sonic vs Sanic - YouTube(67) Sonic vs Sanic - YouTube (Origonally I intended to use Sonic warrior but that's way too long) 

(Also really good) and if that's not possible I'll make something myself. (and before you say it, yes, I know origonal is better, but then again, it's not going to be nearly as good. I am pretty good at composing music, I can upload some of my auxy music to you if you want a listen, but that's auxy.)

I think ICT4 and ICT5 will be lynx games (I want ICT4 to have 2 player support) so having an FMV would be awesome. If I can't have that, I'll see if I can get some Sonic 2 sms like titlecards instead (And you'll get to see my laughable hi-res drawing skills ;) ) I mean, just look at this:

image.thumb.png.aadbfd43b3e8a258b505d7e9f5ac518b.png; That actually turned out better than I thought.

This is a 160*102 pixel screen so this would appear in the lynx but comeon, that's bloody awful!!! :D :D :D It's funny just how bad it is!

If I took more time (This was made in 5 minutes) it would look much better, but I'm going to bed in 45 minutes (It's 9:41 at the time of writing this) so I don't have an hour to spare. 

So, what are my options? Should I go with 512K (But then again, if 384K is just the FMV then what's the point?? it's probably going to be a short FMV. )

So, some questions:

1. What's the best depacker to use?

2. How much storage for the FMV, Depacker, and Music?

3. How many frames can I get?

4. How fast is it?

5. Is this practical?

Thanks guys. ICT3 is almost done so I am very excited to get to work with this, especially if you guys are willing to help me. Big thanks to @Igor for helping me understand this machine!

Taxi Movie Demo did it - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/LynxTaxiMovieDemo/442159240

Not sure if the website of the dev has the source or not, you could try to reach out to him, though he is in Japan so might need to use Google Translate.

As for carts - there is no 128K cart, the current de facto home-brew carts are all 512K+128B EEPROM, there is no point getting smaller ones. Both Karri and myself carry stock of cart PCBs and I have fully assembled "blank" carts in our K-Retro store if you're interested. We have two different cart programmers too, you just need to supply your own Lynx cart connector.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 42bs said:

sage mad Bad Apple for the Lynx, so it is possible. Or you stream it from LynxGD.

Surprise us ;-)

I saw that! It was very cool. Unfortunately, that consumed the entire 512k. And while it was almost 4 minutes long, it was only 2nd if I’m not wrong. ICT4’s intro will be 4bpp if it even comes to exist.

11 hours ago, Igor said:

Taxi Movie Demo did it - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/LynxTaxiMovieDemo/442159240

Not sure if the website of the dev has the source or not, you could try to reach out to him, though he is in Japan so might need to use Google Translate.

As for carts - there is no 128K cart, the current de facto home-brew carts are all 512K+128B EEPROM, there is no point getting smaller ones. Both Karri and myself carry stock of cart PCBs and I have fully assembled "blank" carts in our K-Retro store if you're interested. We have two different cart programmers too, you just need to supply your own Lynx cart connector.

I haven’t seen that- I’ll  be sure to check it out!

In fact, ICT4 might just be more than 512k but then again, I’ll see as I develop it.

10 hours ago, 42bs said:

Three, you can program them directly via Lynx ;-)

???? 

7 hours ago, LordKraken said:

One thing you might want to consider if you want more colours and/or a longuer video is to lower the resolution and use the nice hardware zoom. Sure it will get pixelated, but if it improves the frame rate, could be an option to explore

I agree, although I'm going for resolution over framerate, as long as I can at least have 15 fps. 20 would be nice- 15 is ok.