ROM File: xsleena

Picked by: S.BAZ

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED ) :

Difficulty: easy

Game time: slow

Bonus: 20k 70k plus every 70k

Lives: 3

Console Side-Quest:

What is a console game you enjoyed as a kid but now you feel has aged poorly and is actually kind of bad?  Post a score for 2 bonus points. 

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday December 18, 11:59pm PST

Previous Round Results:

Popeye

Score

Cynicaster

MAME Offender

S.BAZ

evan04

Floyd Turbo

Hero2millions

jblenkle

NE146

RuySan

Bank Panic

Score

evan04

S.BAZ

MAME Offender

Cynicaster

Hero2millions

Floyd Turbo

jblenkle

NE146

RuySan

CSQ Bonus

Hero2millions

Floyd Turbo

Cynicaster

MAME Offender

S.BAZ

evan04

jblenkle

NE146

RuySan

Standings to Date:

Cynicaster

MAME Offender

evan04

Floyd Turbo

S.BAZ

Hero2millions

NE146

jblenkle

RuySan

intrepid.zip xsleena.zip

• Like 1

For the side quest, I'm going to go with Pole Position II on Atari 7800.  We got the 7800 for Christmas in 1987 - in large part because we wanted Pole Position II.  It was great fun at first but playing that game now, it's kind of... ass. 

IMG_E7452.thumb.JPG.a971a40dbe0268a6cb30449fd38d24a7.JPG

For a bonus, here is a screen grab from our home video of Christmas '87.  That's our own MAME Offender holding up the PP2 cartridge for the camera.  I'm in the background wearing the red pajama shirt.  

PP2.PNG

On 12/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, Cynicaster said:

For the side quest, I'm going to go with Pole Position II on Atari 7800.  We got the 7800 for Christmas in 1987 - in large part because we wanted Pole Position II.  It was great fun at first but playing that game now, it's kind of... ass. 

IMG_E7452.thumb.JPG.a971a40dbe0268a6cb30449fd38d24a7.JPG

For a bonus, here is a screen grab from our home video of Christmas '87.  That's our own MAME Offender holding up the PP2 cartridge for the camera.  I'm in the background wearing the red pajama shirt.  

PP2.PNG

Are you and MAME Offender related?

4 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

Is Xain'd Sleena specific to certain versions of MAME?

I'm getting the message about a missing rom file.

If you download the version of mame linked in the original post (v139) it should work with the rom provided. All ROMs I post for the competition come from a v139 romset.  I make sure to test all games before posting and Xain’d worked for me.  

• Like 1

For Intrepid, you can do the doors in any order.  I find it's pretty much mandatory to go up to the 4th floor first (the one just under the locked door) because this is where the boots are always hidden.  Getting the boots enables you to walk much faster and avoid the guards.  

Another thing is I kept dying really cheap deaths going in/out of doors, where the guards would either appear a split second before I tried to exit or they would appear right on top of me once exiting a door.  From what I can tell the best way to avoid this is to always wait for all guards to enter the room before you try the door, so you know where all of them are.  

Xain'd Sleena (10th attempt):  104,530

Man, this would've probably been one of my favorite games if I'd ever had it around back in the day.

104530 (10) [10].png

Console Sidequest -- This was a hard one for me.  I can usually still find some fun in games I liked as a kid.  Some games I don't want to play anymore but I still hold in high regard, like RPGs or etc., something I think has aged just fine, I'm just done playing it.  If it weren't limited to consoles I would pick Daedalian Opus on Game Boy for sure.  I played tons of that and always thought highly of it during my middle school & high school years, but ever since I got back into gaming, I just could care less about that game.  I tried, but... yeah no thanks.

After a good deal of thought, I've decided to go with Tagin' Dragon (NES).  This game was always bad, but for me got even worse with time.  My brother and I had a low opinion of it, but we actually had a lot of fun with the 2-player mode, chasing each others' tails.  We got a kick out of making fun of the game and making fun of Color Dreams for their low quality games and stupid-looking cartridges.  We actually rented Tagin' Dragon 2 or 3 times, which I can't say of any other Color Dreams game (I'm pretty sure any others got promptly brought back & swapped out with something else after the 1st try!)  I even put a good deal of time into getting as far as I could in 1-player Tagin' Dragon back then, at least the 1st time we rented it.  Nowadays, it just seems like nothing but a crap game like one might find on one of those famiclones preloaded with unlicensed stinkers.  Except for collecting of course.  I still want that cartridge!

810 pts endured:

Untitled.png

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 1

Side Quest

This game seemed so awesome back in the 80s.

Then I played the original arcade version and realized how bad this port really is.

No score, one board and done, limited enemies.  This game just sucks asscrack.

It was a big 'swing and a miss.'

16714208762734356446782969711425.jpg

Edited by M.A.M.E Offender