IGNORED

How much were Jaguar games when they were new?

T.A.P.

I remember seeing the games new on the shelf in Babbage's and Electronics Boutique when I was a kid and the Jaguar was current, but I don't remember how much the games were.

Does anyone remember what the MSRP was for them? Was it pretty much just a flat rate, like modern video games, or did the cost vary based on the size of the game's ROM?

I don't have an Atari Canada price list from that period, but the few times that I saw new Jag games for sale in 1994-95 (I was not a Jaguar owner at the time), they were listed at $59.99. I think that they had a general pricing continuum with their existing systems: Lynx games were almost always $39.99 or $44.99 at the time.

The last time I bought Jag games new at a game store in Calgary, though, was in 2002. I bought a bunch of them, even though I already had the titles, as they were being sold for $10 each.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ls650 said:

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

According to that, $69.99 in 1994 would be equivalent to $140 today...

Yeah it's amazing,  in modern game forums I see tons of complaining about modern game prices, and DLC prices.  It's a bargain compared to what we used to pay.  And today's games give you way way way way more content than the old games.

Man, we really were spoiled for variety when it came to game and console choices back in the 90s.

So many different systems with so many unique aspects to them. Now you basically just have Nintendo, and the fairly interchangeable Xbox, PC, and Playstation.

Edited by T.A.P.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

Man, we really were spoiled for variety when it came to game and console choices back in the 90s.

So many different systems with so many unique aspects to them. Now you basically just have Nintendo, and the fairly interchangeable Xbox, PC, and Playstation.

Thank you for pointing this out, I totally agree!

• Like 1