IGNORED

It took 29 years, but I think I finally kinda 'get' and like Cyber Morph

T.A.P.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 8:20 AM, alucardX said:

Imagine a StarFox 2 game running in the Cybermorph engine.

As huge StarFox fans, eh, no thanks. After waiting years for StarFox 2, my brother and I got the ROM, loaded it up, and tried to play. We thought maybe we'd gotten a fake ROM. In my opinion, it's terrible. Should have stayed unreleased. I'll take Cybermorph over that any day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cubanismo said:

As huge StarFox fans, eh, no thanks. After waiting years for StarFox 2, my brother and I got the ROM, loaded it up, and tried to play. We thought maybe we'd gotten a fake ROM. In my opinion, it's terrible. Should have stayed unreleased. I'll take Cybermorph over that any day.

To hijack the thread just a bit, which StarFox game did you like the most? Which one did you like the least (if it isn't the latent release of StarFox 2)?

I've only really played the original, StarFox. I never had an n64, a GameCube, a Wii, or a Wii U. I more or less played SNES straight through all those generations and got my nextgen fix through Saturn and PC gaming.

Trying to bring it back around, IMHO, comparing Cybermorph to StarFox only makes sense because when you see a picture or a 5-second video clip of both, they look like similar concepts in that they have space ship airplane things you fly around in, and are in similar 3D artistic styles, so you had to address it at the time because that's how people generally encountered console games back then before purchase or rental: Magazine ads or clips from TV commercials. Sometimes you'd get lucky and your friend would have the game so you could actually try it out, or it'd be in a kiosk if it was a big title, but that was rare overall and if your toy/video game stores were like mine, there was always some damn kid or expressionless young adult monopolizing the hell out of that kiosk for your entire allotted toy store or mall visiting time, but I digress. If you actually play both, it's clear they're not even comparable. I like both a lot, but they're just different games. It's like comparing Street Fighter II to a JRPG. There's fighting of sorts in both and some of the art might bear a resemblance, but they're nothing like each-other.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

I've only really played the original, StarFox. I never had an n64, a GameCube, a Wii, or a Wii U. I more or less played SNES straight through all those generations and got my nextgen fix through Saturn and PC gaming.

Trying to bring it back around, IMHO, comparing Cybermorph to StarFox only makes sense because when you see a picture or a 5-second video clip of both, they look like similar concepts in that they have space ship airplane things you fly around in, and are in similar 3D artistic styles, so you had to address it at the time because that's how people generally encountered console games back then before purchase or rental: Magazine ads or clips from TV commercials. Sometimes you'd get lucky and your friend would have the game so you could actually try it out, or it'd be in a kiosk if it was a big title, but that was rare overall and if your toy/video game stores were like mine, there was always some damn kid or expressionless young adult monopolizing the hell out of that kiosk for your entire allotted toy store or mall visiting time, but I digress. If you actually play both, it's clear they're not even comparable. I like both a lot, but they're just different games. It's like comparing Street Fighter II to a JRPG. There's fighting of sorts in both and some of the art might bear a resemblance, but they're nothing like each-other.

I actually enjoyed the StarFox 2 experience for what it was. StarFox 64 was great. There was one on the DS that incorporated some of the elements from StarFox 2 such as selecting a flight path on the map and attacking incoming missiles. It was okay. StarFox Zero on the Wii U, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. I had a lot of fun with that game.

I remember back in the day waiting for new game magazines to hit the shelves because that was most of where we got our gaming info. I remember some attempt at a gaming related show on ZDtv (remember that shit?!) in the late 90s. The similarities in graphical style (only in stills) is where the comparison really should stop. Obviously StarFox and the FX chip are rendering a lot less polys and doing it on rails. There is a ton of dithering and the area of play was made smaller. Graphically Cybermorph is just doing more. Gameplay wise I had a really hard time getting into CyberMorph originally. The structure of the objectives is just a little boring. It seems suited for a tech demo, not a real game. I'm not saying there isn't fun to be had but it just doesn't compare to what Miyamoto and company were doing with game play. It would be a real treat to see a game come along for the Jaguar that pays homage to Star Fox but really leverages the power of what the Jaguar hardware was capable of. I'm not suggesting it should hold up to the PSX, N64 or Saturn, but that it should put its original contemporaries to shame AND be really fun to play.

• Like 3

Cybermorph is my favorite Jaguar-exclusive game. It's like Doom in a spaceship. I've never found the StarFox comparisons to be quite fitting, as that's more of a shooting gallery with a forced scroll, like Space Harrier and that type of thing. You can't change directions, unless there's something I'm missing (I confess that I've never given it much of a chance).

In Cybermorph, you can stop, turn to any heading, fly somewhere else and return to find the same enemies, objects, etc. that you've left there. It's more of an exploration game than anything else. You can completely orbit any of the numerous planets on whichever trajectory you like. I remember finding this mind-blowing when I first played it in 1997 or '98. I have fun with it to this day.

(Granted, StarFox 64 has a multi-player option that allows for free movement, if I've got that right.)

When possible, I've always muted music in favor of exclusively digging the sound effects in any game, so the lack of music doesn't bug me a bit. I'm simply not a fan of in-game soundtracks. And thankfully, Skylar can be muted, so she becomes a good woman: seen and not heard. :D

Edit: I'm certainly not putting down the StarFox games. They're just quite different from this one, 3-D spaceship stuff notwithstanding.

Edited by Chris+++
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

It has been a while since I had played Cybermorph, but it has aged like a fine wine.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game during the 1993-1999 time period but had not played since then, until the Atari 50.  Remapping the controls to the Switch Pro Controller, allows me to have the R button increase speed, the L button decrease speed,  Fire as the B button, A toggle through main weapons, and super weapon as Y, it has been a joy to revisit these worlds.  It is a game that I still get the type of enjoyment and relaxation that I did then, but now I have committed to finishing it finally, and wish me luck, I've made it up to Sector 4, which is getting very tough, I've never made it to Sector 5, but this time, I will triumph.  

This game is certainly underappreciated.  I urge you to give it time and keep playing the first levels until you get good at flying.  You really shouldn't be hearing Skylar criticize on any regular basis.  It should be rare, and by that point, you will agree, with her that you deserve it.  When you get ambushed, just get the hell out of the area, and come back with a plan.  Pick them off from a distance, line yourself up, and fly in full speed to steal pods before anyone can touch you, find and destroy the Pernitian's radar whenever possible.  

Most brilliantly, you can save at any time on the switch, which makes it easy to mulligan dumb mistakes.  Even though I had the codes before, it just didn't feel the same as playing through one continuous game.  Perhaps there is something odd about my mammal brain, but it makes a difference to me and I like it.   The more you play this game, the more you love it.

I find the bright colors and effects of the gouraud-shaded polygons hypnotically beautiful.  

After I finish it, I will look forward to playing it again in a year, when an upgraded version will be given to mankind.  It will be powered by BigPemu and feature greater draw distances and run at 30+ fps.  New challenges can be built and shared. It will truly be a living and breathing Cybermorph world.  I look forward to seeing you there, in the future. 

Edited by scrummy
  • Like 4

I've always enjoyed Cybermorph. When I got my Jag back in '96 it was ahead of what was available on the Megadrive and SNES. As has previously been stated, it's a 3d exploration and combat game not a rails shooter. It's more akin to Carrier Command than Starfox IMHO. 

The gameplay does get repetitive after a while but there's a lot of mileage in it. Try playing it all rhe way through in one sitting. It'd take many hours.  All that in a 1 Meg cart.

Battlemorph was a very worthy sequel.

• Like 3