IGNORED

Akka Arrh (Llamasoft for Atari) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

I tried it out last night, and was having a lot of fun with it. I appreciate that the whole point is to be reserved with your ammo, and not a trigger happy nut. 

That said, my fiance watched me play for about 30 seconds, and said she couldn't look at the TV anymore, and left the room. Seems like that's the definition of a good llamasoft game.

Edited by RollOut
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

I don't like the Violet/Pink, Yellow, and Blue colors so often depicted in recent works. Keep me close to the more appealing and pure Reds, Greens, and Blues. To be fair the VPYB scheme is now showing up in other games. And I don't like that either. I don't mind visual overload from time to time either, but let's not vibrate the screen unnecessarily - because that shakes-up the overload too much to enjoy. If that makes sense..

16 minutes ago, RollOut said:

That said, my fiance watched me play for about 30 seconds, and said she couldn't look at the TV anymore, and left

the room. Seems like that's the definition of a good llamasoft game.

Same. The wife here thinks that most llamasoft games are visually cacophonous or just plain annoying. Won't play much beyond Tempest 2000. Or it's PC remake, Typhoon 2000.

19 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Same. The wife here thinks that most llamasoft games are visually cacophonous or just plain annoying.

There's a huge difference between watching someone play and actually playing though.  You don't get "in the zone" watching a video.  You get that only when you play and get immersed in the game.  Everyone always seems to overlook his use of sounds for in game cues as well.  It's not all just visual - again, something lost if you're just watching someone play or a video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Keatah said:

As another note, perhaps old arcade games that were too complex and "before their time" can find a home in the hearts of today's gamers. Especially if they are gussied up with extra noise and vibratory effects.

Let's do I, Robot next! Or not..

I believe Minter wanted to do a "2000" reboot of I, Robot after he did T2K some 30 years ago.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I believe Minter wanted to do a "2000" reboot of I, Robot

There's still time for that.

I believe many of those "ahead of their time" low-production count games are good IP and ripe for remakes. I also want to see a modernization of TAC-SCAN. The game is visually nice but way too simple - a sign of the early times when memory was still expensive I guess.

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

As another note, perhaps old arcade games that were too complex and "before their time" can find a home in the hearts of today's gamers. Especially if they are gussied up with extra noise and vibratory effects.

Let's do I, Robot next! Or not..

I, Robot is pretty much perfect in its 1984 form, any attempts to remake it could ruin it. The game is in the Atari 50 collection and everyone should play it. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I, Robot is pretty much perfect in its 1984 form, any attempts to remake it could ruin it. The game is in the Atari 50 collection and everyone should play it. 

I suppose it is. The pure-colored polygons are visually simple and not overdone like most games are now.

I  was surprised at the amount of levels the game has. And didn't discover them till I played through emulation at home. There's no way I could progress through them in the arcades. I needed the occasional pause break - and more comfortable controls. Playing at home is so much better.

• Like 2

I admit it, I'm a total whimp.  I have to play Akka Arrh in Subdued graphics mode.  I value the cones in the back of my eyes too much.

I am enjoying the game to a point.  What gets me flustered is when I hit a level that overwhelms me (which most do on the first play) but I feel I have to backwards a level or two to build up bullets in order to take on the level that I'm getting whomped at.  Restarting a level with only 5 bullets in the chamber is a really steep hill to climb on certain levels.

Outside of that (and turning down the flashing) I'm enjoying my Akka Arrh experience.  It takes getting use to but it is fun to get into that groove and blast things, even if others can't understand what the hell is going on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

What is this game about anyways?

It's about $20 on Steam :D

Think of it as kind of a reverse Star Castle.  You're the cannon in the middle of the screen, destroying things trying to kill you.

I haven't played the game in months, so my memory is a bit hazy, but that's about what I recall of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished it on xbox one, normal mode.

took a little longer, because the controls arent as good, so it seems harder.

anyways, i've posted various videos:

level 13,14

levels 35-39

levels 46,47

and the best for the last, the last 2 atari modes, level 48, and 49 the end of the game.

later

|| | || | ||

negative 1

• Like 3