IGNORED

What's the worst NES game you would play for $4000?

The point of this thought experiment escapes me. Why would you not play game X for $4000 would make a little more sense, if there is some twisted aversion to free money.

Throw in a couple of bucks more and I'll say Dragon's Lair is the greatest game ever created, my soul is cheap.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Try asking in a Would You Rather? format so that your question is balanced...

Would you rather play NES Dragon's Lair through to completion, or have the constant smell of vinegar in your nose for a year?

Would you rather play Silver Surfer blindfolded for 24 hours, or eat a vomit omelet?

Ya know, get creative!  No one here is going to turn to $4000 to play a game no matter how terrible it is :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For $4000 $400 $40 $4 I'll give anything a shot.  Odd question.

I'm curious, though -- just a glance at the threads that load immediately (no searching required) in the NES category, you have --

Worst NES game you got for Christmas...

Horrid NES games not published by...

Famicom games that got butchered...

Worst NES game you would play for...

Nothing I can see asking things like your favorite, top ten, highest quality, best of the best, etc

Why the continued focus on negatives?   Actively looking to play the worst of the worst?  Nothing wrong that, if that's the case... lots of people enjoy "bad" media, whether games, films, or whatever.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

For $4000 $400 $40 $4 I'll give anything a shot.  Odd question.

I'm curious, though -- just a glance at the threads that load immediately (no searching required) in the NES category, you have --

Worst NES game you got for Christmas...

Horrid NES games not published by...

Famicom games that got butchered...

Worst NES game you would play for...

Nothing I can see asking things like your favorite, top ten, highest quality, best of the best, etc

Why the continued focus on negatives?   Actively looking to play the worst of the worst?  Nothing wrong that, if that's the case... lots of people enjoy "bad" media, whether games, films, or whatever.

Growing up, I got rare chances to play the NES. Of the games I played (Terminator, Bible adventures), I have bad memories. For every star tropics, there was a Ghosts N Goblins. Whenever there is a thread to post your top 20, I can barely think of one, I have so many bad memories of the console. The only games I really liked were Mario and Zelda. Milon's secret Castle nearly made me break the console.  Hudsons adventure island was ok and Metroid is still my favorite but I honestly thought that all NES games were crap at the time. I'm just now starting to enjoy Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong and Mario 3. It was...traumatizing back then. Genesis was no better. Jurassic park sucked and Bugs Bunny Double trouble is awful Thank god for Road Rage and NHL 97. Tommy Lasorda baseball is great, screw you VideoGameCritic

23 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

Milon's secret Castle nearly made me break the console. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for  🤣  No judgement there.

I enjoyed that game, for the most part, but it's one of those that I had no idea what the heck was going on, and came nowhere close to ever beating it.   I may need to revisit now that the internet is here to help 'splain it to me and see where it stands with me today.

• Like 1

I would play Legacy of the Wizard for $4000, (but of course I would also play other bad games, ANY of them)..B u t ,   Somehow an answer to the question is what popped into my head.   (Might as well run with it).   And I thought I'd play Legacy of the Wizard for $4000,  Hell I used to play it for free! 

And yet...There are those who try to explain that it is supposed to be a Deadly Towers sequel?   My beloved Deadly Towers has a possible sequel?  And yet it makes no goddanged sense?   It's really not a bad game.  Not if you understand it, (but no one understands it so),  It's like that "Dry Heat" thing to say in Arizona to make you think it's not a boiling hellhole,  I don't know.  DO dark horses dream of nightmares?  Most "bad" games are not bad (there's a whole ET thread here on AtariAge about how it isn't bad, so there ya go),  and Yes Deadly Towers is my Favorite Game on NES! (Technically,  it's a tie with Faxanadu, but let's not split hairs for whatever this is....I mean,   sadomasochism  aside, Is there a reason I'm responding to a weird (yet not uncommon) negative Frozone-ism?  again?)   Not any normal one I suppose))   Somehow, I guess I liked the wording on this puzzling enigma of a thread better than your usual negative-NESisms.

Like how bad would you go?  Is it a sliding scale?   Deadly Towers?  (Hell and YES!)  But...Back to the Future? Oh man!   Look,  I'll go as high as Legacy of the Wizard but not one game worse!   Now it's been a while,  but I don't remember the game making one ounce of sense....And then one day back in '91 my then college roommate and his girlfriend had it loaded up,  I walked into the living room and they said, "How Do you play this game?"  "Beats the hell out of me!"  I replied.  They asked if I read the manual.  "Yep!  And I'm still as confused as you are right now!"   I said (as if I was about to offer helpful advice) "Ya see your character on the screen there?"  "Yeah",..."Just keep him going and going I guess and see if anything ever happens".  They put in Adventures of Bayou Billy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ouch leave Sachen out of it.  And yeah, bootlegs can be impressive fun too.  And good job thugging on micronics, you have to dig to find out if they had a hand as it's not evident on its own, more like you find out after needing a reason to hate on a game to see they did something. :)

The question stinks, who wouldn't take $4000 to play crap on a NES?  I like that one post up there, no more than 40 hours for $4k... ooh I'll take that hourly pay...gimme.  I've got an everdrive and I can re-develop my high tolerance for crap at that pay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 12:04 PM, mbd39 said:

I'd happily become a professional terrible game player for $4000 a pop.

You mean like Vinesauce d:

I'd play Super Pitfall full time till I beat it for $4k. This is just a more roundabout "what's the worst NES game" thread lol.

Edited by Astro Rabby

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding unless I'm totally mis-remembering this, no you can't be 100% certain in a sealed CD game if it's black or light blue.  Maybe there is some tell all those geniuses out there haven't figured out yet, but I haven't seen it since I don't touch those terrible titles. :D

I will add this nugget from an old stomping ground of mine on the thing, maybe you can use this as a starting point on the blue and black carts.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?91371-Color-Dreams-Theory

I mean, it seems that the color change is a time point, but also production point, and not singular but double between CD and Bunch Games.  Since they unlike NIntendo, kept games in circulation until they failed, not a window of time, you'll end up with what looks like the same box, same manual, same label, but the cart plastic isn't always set in stone.  Perhaps you could use the color to decide WHEN the game was assembled before/after X year but that's about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1