IGNORED

What the heck is "CALL GRAPHICS?" Why don't I have it available?

CLBrown

I've found a series of programs...  notably, the majority written by our friend here, Tursi...  which use a command called "CALL GRAPHICS."  It seems to be a call which has two inputs (say, "CALL GRAPHICS (3,3)").

I have found a reference to this in the Geneve documentation, but there seems not to be any 4A software which allows for that.   I've tried all the "updated" BASIC flavors, and all simply respond "bad program in line"...  when it encounters that.  I also tried "The Missing Link" and a few other utilities.

So... it this EXPLICITLY a "Geneve Only" function?  Or, perhaps, something that works only on a 99/4A if you have the F18A mod (which I don't...  I would if I could but they've been unavailable, as far as I can tell, for several years now, since before I started getting back into this.)

If there's some way to make these work on the "stock 99/4a" (or in an emulation of a stock 99/4A, for that matter)...  I'd be fascinated to hear about it.

And if it's Geneve-only, I'd suggest that people putting software out for that include some reference (either in program comment headers, or an attached file, or in the file name itself) saying so.

I've tried just about everything I can think of and "no joy" on this end.

I suspect most of the other users/readers/posters/whatever here already know this, but I don't, and I can't find any reference to it ANYWHERE outside of the Geneve documentation, sooo...

Well, I'm not sure where he said that...  I have a DSK image file, and by expanding it out using TIDir, I found out that it was his...   but there's no description of what he used in the disk proper (file name is "BASICDEM.dsk").

Using Classic99, running XB GEM and TML, I still get that program-not-found error message.

I've attached a couple of images.  The first one shows my setup.  I'm in Classic99, using XB29 GEM, in "The Missing Link" mode.  And you can see the error message I'm getting...  "subprogram not found" in a line with the "CALL GRAPHICS(3,3)" being the only item in that line.

So, clearly, even in "The Missing Link" under XB 2.9 GEM, in a "stock" Classic99 setup, this command apparently simply does not exist.

So, there's got to be more to it than just this.

Clip0001.jpg

program missing message.jpg

I wish I could be more specific, but I've been "rounding up" lots of TI-99 files from as many sources as I can find, and this one came in a big "zipped up" archive I downloaded off of Archive.org.  I found a few items in there which weren't in the WHTech FTP site, and I've been collecting files from other sources as well.  My goal is to get a single, well-organized, archive where you can find whatever you need quickly.  For my own use, and potentially for others as well.

I'm usually a really organized guy, and the chaotic way stuff is scattered around the 'net just bugs me, so I've been trying to get my own collection really nicely cleaned up.  It's a work-in-progress, of course, but one entry which is fully completed is the TI Extended BASIC group, which looks like below.

I do plan to change some callouts eventually...  right now I'm calling the two disk formats "PC99" and "v9t9" and the two file formats "TIFiles" and "v9t9 Files" but I'm certain that the disk formats will be renamed to reflect their structure rather than the program that first used that structure, and I may well rename the "v9t9" files in some other way as well, as other programs use that as well.  "TIFiles" may become "TI Native File Format" or something along those lines, but otherwise will remain as you see here.

This would be sort of a "source library" for everything in my emulation collection... so I can just keep one copy of each file type for each item of content, and access it from each emulator.  And when I need to put something together for TIPI or FinalGROM, or even for writing to an actual floppy or cassette?  Well...  that should be straightforward, too.

Note, I've got multiple copies of program files by dates if there's no revision listed and the files are not bitwise identical, too.  For documents, like you see here, I keep different versions if they are also not bitwise-identical.  I've managed to pare down my collection to maybe 10% of what it was before, and then, I could never find anything anyway.  :)

Shot0003.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CLBrown said:

I've found a series of programs...  notably, the majority written by our friend here, Tursi...  which use a command called "CALL GRAPHICS."  It seems to be a call which has two inputs (say, "CALL GRAPHICS (3,3)").

While I appreciate the callout, I've never heard of CALL GRAPHICS, so it's most certainly not my software you saw it in. :)

• Like 1

Since you didn’t mention the program originally, I pulled up this thread that Tursi published today or yesterday about the Death Star where he used XB GEM and TML.

It would be really helpful if you could be more specific about the program, because most of us will assume that if you aren’t, you’re talking about the latest post.  😀

CALL GRAPHICS(x,x) is from Geneve Advanced BASIC. A similar command is also in Myarc XBII but has only TI99 graphics mode options.  

Here is the page on the command from the Geneve ABASIC manual:

GRAPHICS
Format
CALL GRAPHICS(graphics-mode1,graphics mode2)
Cross Reference
CHAR,CIRCLE,COLOR,DCOLOR,DRAW,DRAWTO,FILL,MARGINS,POINT,RECTANGLE,
SCREEN
Description
The CALL GRAPHICS command selects the default graphic capabilities for a
program or sub-program.
When CALL GRAPHICS is executed it clear the screen, restores the default
characters and colors, resets all sprites, clears MARGINS and turns off
all sound.
THE GRAPHIC MODES:
CALL GRAPHICS(1,1)
This is the standard TI99 32 column Pattern Mode with a slightly altered
character set. Refer to the TI99 BASIC programmers manual of the TI99
Extended BASIC manual for more detail. DCOLOR, CIRCLE, DRAW, DRAWTO, FILL,
POINT, or RECTANGLE  can not be used in this mode.
CALL GRAPHICS(1,2)
This is the TI99 bitmap mode. In this mode text color is not assigned to a
specific character set but can be changed on the fly with TCOLOR. VCHAR &
HCHAR operates the same as (1,1). COLOR can not be used. Resolution is 256
wide by 192 high. On screen colors are limited by TI99 bitmap limitations
of every 8 pixels in a row only having 1 fore and 1 back ground color.
Sprites are limited to visual of 4 sprites per line. DCOLOR, CIRCLE, DRAW,
DRAWTO, FILL, POINT, or RECTANGLE  can be used in this mode.
CALL GRAPHICS(1,3)
This is same as (1,2) except allows for 8 visual sprites per line.
CALL GRAPHICS(2,1)
This is the TI99 40 column text mode. Only one fore and back ground color
can be used. You use TCOLOR to assign fore and back ground color for the
text. You can not use sprites. COLOR, DCOLOR, CIRCLE, DRAW, DRAWTO, FILL,
POINT, or RECTANGLE  can not be used in this mode.
CALL GRAPHICS(2,2)
This is a 256x192, 16 color pixel mode. Each pixel is addressable with
color via DCOLOR. Text operates like the bitmap mode (1,2) with use of
TCOLOR. Sprites are usable and are the 8 visible sprites per line. DCOLOR,
CIRCLE, DRAW, DRAWTO, FILL, POINT, or RECTANGLE  can be used in this mode.
CALL GRAPHICS(2,3)
This is the 256x192, 256 color pixel mode. Only 16 colors seem to be
available and the colors are non-standard and difficult to change. This
mode is limited in it's usefulness in ABASIC.
CALL GRAPHICS(3,1)
This is the 80 column text mode. Color usage and graphic limitations are
the same as (2,1). This is also the default graphics mode for ABASIC.
CALL GRAPHICS(3,2)
This is a 512x192, 4 color pixel mode. Colors in this mode are non-
standard and difficult to change. This mode is limited in it's usefulness
in ABASIC.
CALL GRAPHICS(3,3)
This is a 512x192, 16 color pixel mode with each pixel addressable via
DCOLOR. Text operates like the bitmap mode (1,2) with use of TCOLOR.
Sprites are usable and are the 8 visible sprites per line. DCOLOR, CIRCLE,
DRAW, DRAWTO, FILL, POINT, or RECTANGLE  can be used in this mode.
SUMMARY OF THE GRAPHIC MODES:
(1,1) - 32x24, TI99 pattern,16 color, 4 sprite/line
(1,2) - 256x192, TI99 bitmap, 16 color, 4 sprite/line
(1,3) - 256x192, TI99 bitmap, 16 color, 8 sprite/line
(2,1) - 40x24, TI99 40 text, 2 color, no sprites
(2,2) - 256x192, pixel, 16 color, 8 sprite/line
(2,3) - 256x192, pixel, 256 color, 8 sprite/line -limited usefulness
(3,1) - 80x24, text, 2 color, no sprites
(3,2) - 512x192, pixel, 4 color, 8 sprite/line -limited usefulness
(3,3) - 512x192, pixel, 16 color, 8 sprite/line

• Like 6