IGNORED

I can't stop playing IKARI WARRIORS!

King Atari

Well, I mean, I *can*, it's not like I'm multitasking while posting this, but nevertheless, I'm totally addicted to the 2600 port of Ikari Warriors.

Now, I do loves me some vertical run-and-gunners in general, and just prior to my current obsession, I was devoting my 2600 time to Front Line. That's a goody for sure, but MAN, I sure didn't get into it like Ikari.

Certainly the 2600 version doesn't throw the number of enemies at you that the arcade or NES port did, but I actually find this more appealing; each confrontation is more intense. And I enjoy the sense of progression the game presents - especially when you're "in the zone" and lobbing off grenades successfully left and right while marching forward. It just makes you feel good inside.

The tank and helicopter graphics are awfully blocky ("On the 2600?!! No way!"), but otherwise, methinks the game looks really nice. The continuous background score is just fine, too.

Add to that the tight controls and spot-on progressing difficulty, and you've totally got a "just one more round" kinda game here. Not gonna lie: I easily prefer this 2600 version to the NES port. The 7800's too? Dunno, don't have that one.

In fact, one of my favorite aspects of that past Venezuela find is that this game in particular became far more affordable in the NTSC format, which ultimately resulted in my present, pleasant condition. (Though prices DO seem to be climbing again...)

Refresh my memory: ignoring the fact the AA rarity guide is waaaay out o' date, I seem to recall the NTSC version ranking way higher than the 5 it currently holds. Am I crazy in remembering it as a 9 or thereabouts in the pre-Venezuela days?

So, anyone else share my fondness for this gem from the latter years of the 2600? Speak up, and let your voice be heard as a, dare I say, Jr. Ikari Warrior!

Attached picture: my current highest score. Admittedly, I haven't been able to conquer the second round yet, because BOY do those enemy bullets start flying fast on the second go-round! And yet, I keep coming back to try again, as any good Ikari Warrior would/should.

20221111_193759.jpg

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1

I vaguely recall this game in the arcade,  then...

I had the NES cart in college,  but loaned it to this fool who lost it :(   I don't think I ever replaced it there, but not positive...My Everdrive has it no doubt.

Then, I too bought an Atari Cart for VCS from Venezuela!   Which I still have as a sealed game :)  No worries though,  My Harmony cart has it!  (I still need to play this version,...And the one on my Dragonfly!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

Great score.

You're right: the NTSC version's rarity was ranked higher before the Venezuela stock find.

Same goes for NTSC MoroRodeo.

8) 

I don't think I've checked MotoRodeo in forever - you're right! It was re-ranked 5, but I remember that one being like a 9 or 10!

(As far as these uber-late releases go, Atari's version of BMX Airmaster remains a 10, which makes sense, since AFAIK it wasn't found in the Venezuela haul. Wonder why that one wasn't in there?)

• Like 1

FWIW,  One of the guys in Venezuela told me a bunch of (Atari) stuff was found in a warehouse,  and (curse my memory) he either said it was half a million dollars worth,  or he said it was half a million items...I thinking it was half a million dollars worth.

The other thing I bought from that same haul was a Blue M-Network TRON joystick.

Edited by GoldLeader
Edited because I meant "One of the guys" in Venezuela...Not just "The Guy" like there's only one hehe...
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

FWIW,  The guy in Venezuela told me a bunch of (Atari) stuff was found in a warehouse,  and (curse my memory) he either said it was half a million dollars worth,  or he said it was half a million items...I thinking it was half a million dollars worth.

The other thing I bought from that same haul was a Blue M-Network TRON joystick.

Interesting! I guess given the number of things found (or rather, the things we at least know about), half a mil sounds like a lot but really probably isn't too far off...

• Like 1