IGNORED

Guinness World Record for Video Game Collection

Humblejack

Reminder that Guinness is a for-profit, unvetted novelty award shop where people pay thousands of dollars to receive such prestige as their name in a book. Some awards aren't even up for other challengers since they were created specifically for particular people, like Tommy Tallarico's.

In other words, this guy paid Guinness World Records "consulting" fees or whatever else to be given this honor, even if others may have far larger collections and even if the actual count of his own collection is just word-of-mouth honor system.

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

I’m not sure how they come up with these folks.  I guess maybe it’s the people that want the recognition while some that have a larger collection would like to stay anonymous. 

This is my collection 

Mostly hardware but still a lot of software also 

https://imgur.com/gallery/5hEZ7wP

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 10:04 AM, Humblejack said:

I don't think for a minute that this is the record. I'll bet Cmart has at least twice this many just in Intellivision games.

Terry Valeski set an unbeatable record for number of Intellivision cartridges owned by a single individual back in the 1980's. He's since sold off most of his collection, though.

WJI

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Walter Ives said:

Terry Valeski set an unbeatable record for number of Intellivision cartridges owned by a single individual back in the 1980's. He's since sold off most of his collection, though.

WJI

Haha. Funnily enough I actually have a couple of empty six pack boxes addressed to Terry somewhere in my underground lair. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, Walter Ives said:

WJI

Joking aside, did Terry Valeski's warehouses have only Mattel / INTV Corp cartridges or did they also have cartridges from the other competitors (Coleco, Activision, Imagic, etc?).  My guess is that he only had Mattel / INTV Corp cartridges given the deal he's famous for making.  However, this is only a weak guess and could easily be wrong.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, Walter Ives said:

WJI

Interesting Walter…

Would you have a rough idea about how many cartridges and consolles did Terry have?

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Interesting Walter…

Would you have a rough idea about how many cartridges and consolles did Terry have?

I believe he was being cheeky, referring to when Mr. Valeski bought the rights and remaining stock of Intellivision products from Mattel to start what became INTV Corp.

dZ.

11 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I believe he was being cheeky, referring to when Mr. Valeski bought the rights and remaining stock of Intellivision products from Mattel to start what became INTV Corp.

dZ.

Thanks!!! I totally misunderstood, being still quite ignorant about Intellivision history!🤣🤣🤣

I have a friend who once had the record. It takes effort to get verified so there are people who may have an unverified larger collection. Also, the inevitable publicity sets you up as a target for thieves. So, I am sure that this guy holds the record. Anyone who has a bigger collection is welcome to take the title.