IGNORED

Can someone help me examining the fixed version of Dodge 'Em?

Rom Hunter

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Do you remember if it worked from the outer and/or the inner ring? And horizontally and/or vertically?

Yes, it would work from the outer ring or the inner ring. I recall only being able to do this by moving up or down. It may have worked left and right too, but I don't have any memory of that.

I test with the fixed version in Stella. For testing, I disable TIA collisions (Shift-ALT + Comma), so that I try easily and as often as I want. Still it works only 1 out of ~50 times. 

Here is a successful sequence. Note that down was released briefly during movement. Important is frame 7074. It seems that you are effectively doing a 1 lane plus a 2 lane move. I think there is not enough time to do this horizontally.

image.thumb.png.5f113b18befb2d0c4839ffbdf6a3a0a5.png

image.thumb.png.7fdd6f972b6b70abdc94e0cf42bcec8c.png

image.thumb.png.2033a2415bb7b7fd1b7591adbbd0051c.png

image.thumb.png.472b925047739f6d57f11d75f0b3cfce.png

image.thumb.png.62b30cc2a3076be5ab7359192112321d.png

image.thumb.png.222ed952ab47bbc65b362e29ea71078c.png

image.thumb.png.c6a7c1ac6f627829c477d6df048c2318.png

image.png

image.thumb.png.ff1da51e20931f03a6d2b8fcc65c5759.png

image.thumb.png.8085f8c01802e090a27d53bae7cb534b.png

image.thumb.png.ac350fd980b6178f59e33a15e4b331de.png

Down pressed in further frames. Result:

image.thumb.png.56075f56d23acc95643a57c29fa672f7.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Ignore this one, its duplicate, bit I cannot get rid of it. @Albert?

You attached twelve images to your post.  You'll need to find which one you don't want among those attachments and then delete it by clicking the "X" icon in the upper-right corner of the attachment.  If you don't insert an image attachment directly into your post, the software will show it at the end of your post, which I'm guessing is what's happening here.

..Al

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

But the image is already in the post. Maybe I attached it twice? The preview doesn't show enough details to find out.

It's possible, the forum will allow you to attach the same image more than once.  I'm just saying that if you did NOT attach an image directly, it will simply append it to the bottom of your post.  You'll need to look at all the images and the thumbnails in the attachments section to find the one you want to remove.  They all look very similar to me without taking the time to scrutinize them, so I cannot do that myself right now.

..Al

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's possible, the forum will allow you to attach the same image more than once.  I'm just saying that if you did NOT attach an image directly, it will simply append it to the bottom of your post.  You'll need to look at all the images and the thumbnails in the attachments section to find the one you want to remove.  They all look very similar to me without taking the time to scrutinize them, so I cannot do that myself right now.

Thanks, I think I got it sorted out now.

Interesting thread going on here about one of my favorite childhood 2600 games, Dodge 'em.  I still have the original cart (text only label) and VCS from 1979/1980. It indeed has a few bugs. (a) able to sometimes switch 3 lanes at one time (b) if you can get the two chase cars in just the right positions, one of them will go bonkers and fly out of its lane and off the screen!  (c) This one kept me entertained for days: if playing with player 2, a bug where instead of the max 5 screens with one life, it lets you play 11 screens!  Instead of max 1080 points, I get 2376 points.  The score display gets corrupted.  I was also able to reproduce this online https://www.retrogames.cz/play_298-Atari2600.php?language=EN  . It plays via Javatari.org emulator.  I own an AtGames retro arcade machine, and the Dodge 'em on there does not have the bug.

Edited by PFilippone