IGNORED

Season 13 ~ Week 19/20/21 ~ Atari 2600 Homebrew

Vocelli

27 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

I never figured out the timing necessary to get past the second set of laser gates.  I should have spent more time on this game.

The timing in the laser gates is pretty difficult; in retrospect I should have made them a bit easier, at least in the earlier caverns.  :ponder:  Very good score though! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

So, my last minute entry. Finally managed to get a sort of decent score in Boom!, wish I had more time to invest into this game, since it is a very fun version of Bomberman. What was messing me up the most was the hit detection, since I am too used to how more modern versions of Bomberman play. Best strategy I found out for the game, was truly the one mentioned a few posts back, of racking up points with the door monsters, especially if you are lucky enough to get a good door position and those blue monsters that go through walls for extra points.

Boom!: 100300

boom!.thumb.png.ce1c68197972afd50c94c39950cf8279.png

I have also managed quite the improvement in Star Castle Arcade. The strategy that works best for me in this game is to position yourself in the very bottom right corner and never move, just shoot and defend yourself.

Star Castle Arcade: 13990
starcastle.thumb.png.5c1195b816e6731b207ac0f5c2d90b54.png

Messed up my name input, pressed the action button by mistake! 😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danger said:

I also managed to record a full playthrough of this version of Conquest of Mars. Even if the competition is pretty much over, this might help others get past the lasers part if they ever want to give it a try, for closure maybe. ;-)

Great job!  Those laser gates can be a pain, that's for sure - but you had the right strategy:  move your ship as low as you can as you approach the gates and pull back to give you as much time to avoid them (easier said than done ;) ).

When you said 'full playthrough' I expected to see the other caverns too (there are 6) and the other stages (mines and the maze, plus a neat ending if you can complete cavern 6) but it looks like I incorrectly had the game wrap back to cavern 1 after completing cavern 2. :(  When @Vocelli approached me about providing a special build of CoM for the competition, it was meant to be a complete version (level-wise) with some of the additional items disabled (2 player, different skill levels, diff A enabling the cannons firing, continues, etc.).  It had been so long since I made the demo I had forgotten I had put in the wrap-around after Cavern 2. :|  Oh well, maybe next time. ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Great job!  Those laser gates can be a pain, that's for sure - but you had the right strategy:  move your ship as low as you can as you approach the gates and pull back to give you as much time to avoid them (easier said than done ;) ).

When you said 'full playthrough' I expected to see the other caverns too (there are 6) and the other stages (mines and the maze, plus a neat ending if you can complete cavern 6) but it looks like I incorrectly had the game wrap back to cavern 1 after completing cavern 2. :(  When @Vocelli approached me about providing a special build of CoM for the competition, it was meant to be a complete version (level-wise) with some of the additional items disabled (2 player, different skill levels, diff A enabling the cannons firing, continues, etc.).  It had been so long since I made the demo I had forgotten I had put in the wrap-around after Cavern 2. :|  Oh well, maybe next time. ;)  

Thanks! Haha, I wasn't expecting for the loop after cavern 2 to be a mistake :lol:. I thought it was intended as to be a shorter experience to test your consistency to rack up points in a more limited yet challenging environment. Regardless, thanks for making such a fun and amazing port, and who knows, a full playthrough of the normal and complete version might be due soon. Gotta have a bit more free time. ;-)
P.S. While at it, I'd also like to thank you for making the full rom available for purchase too, for those of us living in parts of the world where shipping can often be a pain to deal with, or those that just prefer the often more convenient flash cart or emulated options to play.

• Like 1

Was hoping to get over 300k. Running out of time so this is probably it.... :P 

Great game. Had alot of fun playing this one. My favorite game of this seasons Atari HSC. Thanks @DaveM and @Vocelli for putting this one in there. My wish now is to see this port setup for the Intellivision. 😏

Mr. Yo-Yo - Level 1 - B/B - 280,710

1074186741_280710MrYoYoLevel1BBOH.jpg.cc02046cce883660129db9f9811382ae.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, danger said:

Thanks! Haha, I wasn't expecting for the loop after cavern 2 to be a mistake :lol:. I thought it was intended as to be a shorter experience to test your consistency to rack up points in a more limited yet challenging environment. Regardless, thanks for making such a fun and amazing port, and who knows, a full playthrough of the normal and complete version might be due soon. Gotta have a bit more free time. ;-)

You're welcome!  Good luck with the full playthrough; the continues make it a bit easier (and possible) although I was able to clear all 6 caverns with one continue back in the day (my skills have since diminished :P ).

3 hours ago, danger said:

P.S. While at it, I'd also like to thank you for making the full rom available for purchase too, for those of us living in parts of the world where shipping can often be a pain to deal with, or those that just prefer the often more convenient flash cart or emulated options to play.

You're welcome again!  I know there are collectors out there that prefer the cart, or just the experience of playing with a real cart vs. emulation, but with shipping costs through the roof (especially internationally) I'm glad we can offer ROM purchases for all of our games.  Thanks for the support and have fun!

• Like 1