IGNORED

Another "how to connect my 2600?"-thread

Kordanor

So...I got the new part, sew off the pin, tested it, and it looked as crappy as before.

So I caved in and just went the composite mod route, which was some hassle regarding soldering everything together...however:

-It Works (I was actually surprised that I didnt break anything)

-It Was much cheaper (I paid € 6,38€ for the kit (3 resistors and a PCB + Shipping) directly from china)

-The result is ... well, not pristine but pretty good.

As comparison:

This was how it looked before:

This is how it looks now

So, it's a huge improvement. There is still something wrong I guess. Vertical lines look very jagged, even spikey. The second video shows how I turned the color tint wheel (vorward, and then backward)

At the Black and White setting at 0:30 the jaggedness is gone. But in all other settings it's there. Now if there is an easy fix for that, I might as well fix it. But as I never aimed for "perfect" here, I am also ok with how it is now.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kordanor said:

There is still something wrong I guess. Vertical lines look very jagged, even spikey. The second video shows how I turned the color tint wheel (vorward, and then backward)

At the Black and White setting at 0:30 the jaggedness is gone. But in all other settings it's there. Now if there is an easy fix for that, I might as well fix it. But as I never aimed for "perfect" here, I am also ok with how it is now.

All of the composite outputs setups I've seen for the Atari systems and most consoles will present that jagged dot crawling effect on many edges. I believe CRTs back in the day had comb filters specifically designed to blend that in and minimize the effect. On modern displays it shows one of the ugly bits regarding composite output. As you discovered it isn't present until the chroma is added back into the signal.

You have to go with s-video or RGB to get better and more close to emulation like output.

• Like 1