IGNORED

70s/80s display of choice for VCS?

ZuluGula

What type of TV set was the most popular in USA in late 70s and early 80s? What you used most to play your games? Was it a 25 inch console TV in your parents living room or small 14 inch black and white TV in your bedroom? I was too young and wasn't even living in USA back than to experience the early VCS gaming. My first contact was in late 80s in my friends house when we played his 2600 on small 14 inch b&w TV.

My goal is to find early 80s TV to give me the most representative experience of early RF gaming. I would like to make a comparison how is to play VCS games starting from RF, going through Composite and end it with HDMI. I have couple of VCS/2600 with RF and UAV, than Flashback 2 and Flashback X. I have couple of crt TVs from late 90s and early 2000 (14 and 20 inch), but I guess that older TV would be more accurate in this comparison. I would like to see how or even if it's possible to connect original VCS to modern 40 inch LCD through RF and Composite (UAV or VCR) and how it looks compared to Flashback X HDMI. 

• Like 1

At first I had a B&W TV in my bedroom that was a hand-me down when my parents upgraded to color.   Later I got my own color TV:   A Goldstar 13"   Still have it.

A lot of my friends though had their 2600s hooked up to a console TV in the living room.   A "console TV" was bascially a piece of furniture with a TV embedded in it. (25" or so)  People used to place photos and other things on top like it was a table

40444798_934.jpg

I think RF hookups were far more common than composite in those days.

• Like 1

Yeah, in late seventies, we had a console TV similar to what zzip posted. 23-25" consoles were the most common among my buddies for Atari back in the day. One, more affluent, friend had a huge console with a record player and stereo on top to either side of the tube, similar to pic below. Another, less affluent, buddie had a 17-19 incher on a tv cart, similar to pic below. Hookups then where to a two screw antenna input via the switch box. 

bb80ae8ca6ab8f1b9cf48718f9dbb8e6--entertainment-center-childhood-memories.jpg
s-l640.jpg

• Like 1