IGNORED

Atari 2600 6 Switch with black & white picture

shear_xear

Hi everyone.  I just got a six switch Atari VCS, and it continues to only output a black and white image with “jailbars” in color mode.   I have swapped out the three main socketed ICs, recapped both boards, and even hooked it up to an AV mod to see if it was possible that the RF modulator had just gone bad.  Still get only black and white (although the jailbars disappeared outputting through s-video).  Anyone have any other ideas as to what to try?  Thanks!!

Did you try tuning the color pot? That's the very first thing I'd try in these cases.

8 hours ago, shear_xear said:

... the jailbars disappeared outputting through s-video

That's normal. The jailbars are the color information, which is not recognized by the TV (and a out of tune or oxidated/dirty color pot might be the cause) and therefore shown as part of the B/W image. When you use s-video, that part of the signal is separate from the B/W "luma" component, so you don't see them.

8 hours ago, alex_79 said:

Did you try tuning the color pot? That's the very first thing I'd try in these cases.

That's normal. The jailbars are the color information, which is not recognized by the TV (and a out of tune or oxidated/dirty color pot might be the cause) and therefore shown as part of the B/W image. When you use s-video, that part of the signal is separate from the B/W "luma" component, so you don't see them.

Yes, the color pot alters the mix

of the black and white, but yields no colors at all.  

Edited by shear_xear