IGNORED

Valhalla's liter box! Crazy Climbers collection pics...

Crazy Climber

With the hoard of stuff from my wifes parents and my kids toys basically taking over my once mighty basement gameroom I've been struggling to find a place for my stuff...

I would just sell everything and move on but while fishing keeps me busy in the summers, ice fishing sucks and without my classic games hoard I really start to question the point of working all the time...I'm still not ruling out living in a trailer and hunting gators down south with just the clothes on my back once my kids are all grown up, but for now, I need something to do when it's below zero outside.

Behold, a little corner of the basement to call my own. It's kind of a useless room, it's on the "unfinished" laundry side of the basement, no doors, the two walls it has are hideous. When I first bought the place I painted them deep black. I was going to get a bunch of blacklight paint and posters and make one of those sweet 70's "bong-hit" rooms. Well shortly after I got married, had kids, and well...this little area became a storage hoard of bins filled with mostly stuff we will never use or need. The black paint is crumbling off the walls giving it kind of a "coffee grounds vomit" look and during the rainy months we get a little water seepage in the corner (which is why I have astro-turf down instead of carpet and everything is currently on bricks lol) but it's a "room" and it's MINE!

It's near the cats liter boxes so if I don't keep up on the cleaning a funky smell will waft it's way over and without a door my cats are constantly knocking stuff over...yeah, my cats are complete berzerkers so I dubbed it "Valhalla's Liter box"

I had to relocate the bins and bins of christmas knick knacks and Barry manilow to very obtrusive spots that will likely annoy everyone who lives here but tough noogies...I want a classic game room and if this dank little corner is what I have to work with then so be it!!

I PRESENT THEE...VALHALLA'S LITER BOX!!!

20221218_120116.thumb.jpg.cd6ed7bf00f99e4a80e8c5a18cf78558.jpg

To the right we have the "arcade"...

I've owned a lot of real arcade machines and a lot of arcade 1up machines...first and foremost "NO" they are not at all comparable to a "real" arcade machine....BUT, if you think of them as "toys" they are actually pretty neat. They are light weight, easy to move around, very few parts and insanely easy/cheap to repair. I've heard the horror stories but of the 25 or so I've owned over the years I've only had one turd (and it was purchased for $100 as a store return so what did I expect...someone already returned it!!)

It took a lot of thinking, patience and deal hunting to get the EXACT line up I wanted and I'm very happy with them.

Lets start with the pin. For $400 new this is the best virtual pin you can get for the money. It's themed as attack from Mars and has a pile of classic williams tables on it. The only Turd is white water, it's glitchy and doesn't play right but everything other game plays flawless, no lag and I absolutely love having a "toy" version of all these VERY expensive pinball machines. After a few minutes you really can forget it's not a real one for a moment. This was one of my best purchases!

Street Fighter 2 was the end of the arcade era for me. It was the last game I really made an effort to go play, the last time I remember crowds of people in the smokey arcade, and really the tail end of my childhood (even though I was probably technically an adult by this time haha) This "Capcom legacy" Arcade 1up was a no brainer for me. I absolutely hate Mortal Kombat, but the other games (Tapper, wizard of wor, Joust, Rampage, etc) combined with the fact it looks so EPIC next to the Street Fighter 2 made it another must buy! Lots of people like MK an dit does fit very nicely in the line up. Throw in my all time favorite Driving game OUTRUN in teh corner and I have my perfect little "toy arcade" for Sunday morning coffee time.

20221218_120103.thumb.jpg.a905872fac858665ab5326e9ab203d86.jpg

The shelf has a 5200 system running an ultimate SD cart. It seemed fitting since the 5200 is such an arcade port powerhouse. I never really spent much time with the system either so showcasing it gives me a chance to play it more. Still hate the controller but what a neat little box! I went straight to NES after the 2600 though so I missed out back in the day.

20221218_120144.thumb.jpg.d4a859f1673ba265a99eebdaac0c8e4a.jpg

20221218_120130.thumb.jpg.9770dbfd640a3a9b467bc6d6993e4bd4.jpg

To the left I have the console collection and "library"

Besides the various books, mags, comics and manga I also have the following systems with flash carts...I do own a PILE of cartridges but I just don't have the space to display them anymore. Only flashcarts and homebrews made the cut for this room!

Atari XEGS

Atari 2600

Atari Jaguar

SuperGrafx

SNES

Sega Genesis/SMS

20221218_120151.thumb.jpg.530e8aef191b5e500af57eaaf9c1431e.jpg

I also enjoy making models, mostly Gundam. I "borrowed" this vintage Curio cabinet from Grandma and made a little display out of them. The top shelf although hard to see has a MADOLORIAN cantina scene haha. Yeah, I like action figures still...guess I never outgrew them :)

So there we have it, the last collection display I will make until my wife gets rid of all the bins or my kids get too old for the basement toys. This should give me something to do this winter :)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

With the hoard of stuff from my wifes parents and my kids toys basically taking over my once mighty basement gameroom I've been struggling to find a place for my stuff...

I would just sell everything and move on but while fishing keeps me busy in the summers, ice fishing sucks and without my classic games hoard I really start to question the point of working all the time...I'm still not ruling out living in a trailer and hunting gators down south with just the clothes on my back once my kids are all grown up, but for now, I need something to do when it's below zero outside.

Behold, a little corner of the basement to call my own. It's kind of a useless room, it's on the "unfinished" laundry side of the basement, no doors, the two walls it has are hideous. When I first bought the place I painted them deep black. I was going to get a bunch of blacklight paint and posters and make one of those sweet 70's "bong-hit" rooms. Well shortly after I got married, had kids, and well...this little area became a storage hoard of bins filled with mostly stuff we will never use or need. The black paint is crumbling off the walls giving it kind of a "coffee grounds vomit" look and during the rainy months we get a little water seepage in the corner (which is why I have astro-turf down instead of carpet and everything is currently on bricks lol) but it's a "room" and it's MINE!

It's near the cats liter boxes so if I don't keep up on the cleaning a funky smell will waft it's way over and without a door my cats are constantly knocking stuff over...yeah, my cats are complete berzerkers so I dubbed it "Valhalla's Liter box"

I had to relocate the bins and bins of christmas knick knacks and Barry manilow to very obtrusive spots that will likely annoy everyone who lives here but tough noogies...I want a classic game room and if this dank little corner is what I have to work with then so be it!!

I PRESENT THEE...VALHALLA'S LITER BOX!!!

20221218_120116.thumb.jpg.cd6ed7bf00f99e4a80e8c5a18cf78558.jpg

To the right we have the "arcade"...

I've owned a lot of real arcade machines and a lot of arcade 1up machines...first and foremost "NO" they are not at all comparable to a "real" arcade machine....BUT, if you think of them as "toys" they are actually pretty neat. They are light weight, easy to move around, very few parts and insanely easy/cheap to repair. I've heard the horror stories but of the 25 or so I've owned over the years I've only had one turd (and it was purchased for $100 as a store return so what did I expect...someone already returned it!!)

It took a lot of thinking, patience and deal hunting to get the EXACT line up I wanted and I'm very happy with them.

Lets start with the pin. For $400 new this is the best virtual pin you can get for the money. It's themed as attack from Mars and has a pile of classic williams tables on it. The only Turd is white water, it's glitchy and doesn't play right but everything other game plays flawless, no lag and I absolutely love having a "toy" version of all these VERY expensive pinball machines. After a few minutes you really can forget it's not a real one for a moment. This was one of my best purchases!

Street Fighter 2 was the end of the arcade era for me. It was the last game I really made an effort to go play, the last time I remember crowds of people in the smokey arcade, and really the tail end of my childhood (even though I was probably technically an adult by this time haha) This "Capcom legacy" Arcade 1up was a no brainer for me. I absolutely hate Mortal Kombat, but the other games (Tapper, wizard of wor, Joust, Rampage, etc) combined with the fact it looks so EPIC next to the Street Fighter 2 made it another must buy! Lots of people like MK an dit does fit very nicely in the line up. Throw in my all time favorite Driving game OUTRUN in teh corner and I have my perfect little "toy arcade" for Sunday morning coffee time.

20221218_120103.thumb.jpg.a905872fac858665ab5326e9ab203d86.jpg

The shelf has a 5200 system running an ultimate SD cart. It seemed fitting since the 5200 is such an arcade port powerhouse. I never really spent much time with the system either so showcasing it gives me a chance to play it more. Still hate the controller but what a neat little box! I went straight to NES after the 2600 though so I missed out back in the day.

20221218_120144.thumb.jpg.d4a859f1673ba265a99eebdaac0c8e4a.jpg

20221218_120130.thumb.jpg.9770dbfd640a3a9b467bc6d6993e4bd4.jpg

To the left I have the console collection and "library"

Besides the various books, mags, comics and manga I also have the following systems with flash carts...I do own a PILE of cartridges but I just don't have the space to display them anymore. Only flashcarts and homebrews made the cut for this room!

Atari XEGS

Atari 2600

Atari Jaguar

SuperGrafx

SNES

Sega Genesis/SMS

20221218_120151.thumb.jpg.530e8aef191b5e500af57eaaf9c1431e.jpg

I also enjoy making models, mostly Gundam. I "borrowed" this vintage Curio cabinet from Grandma and made a little display out of them. The top shelf although hard to see has a MADOLORIAN cantina scene haha. Yeah, I like action figures still...guess I never outgrew them :)

So there we have it, the last collection display I will make until my wife gets rid of all the bins or my kids get too old for the basement toys. This should give me something to do this winter :)

I spy the 1984 magazine which has a condensed version of "Mutant World" by Jan Strnad and illustrated by Rich Corben (of Den fame). A good read and something most parents would have mistaken for just a silly comic book (similar to Creepy or Eerie). Nice job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rsiddall said:

I spy the 1984 magazine which has a condensed version of "Mutant World" by Jan Strnad and illustrated by Rich Corben (of Den fame). A good read and something most parents would have mistaken for just a silly comic book (similar to Creepy or Eerie). Nice job!

Ha! Good eye! I can tell you are a man of fine taste :)

Yeah, I narrowed down my mags to just a few dozen. Collectability, nostalgia and over all readable were the criteria to stay. 1984 issue number one checked all 3 boxes and earned a permanent home in my collection.

You are right, this could be a total sleeper as far as "parents" go. The cover of Issue #2 however might set off a parental warning instinct haha

19842.jpg.ae85a47801c5aa8f94732d3ab5f5da2c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Ha! Good eye! I can tell you are a man of fine taste :)

Yeah, I narrowed down my mags to just a few dozen. Collectability, nostalgia and over all readable were the criteria to stay. 1984 issue number one checked all 3 boxes and earned a permanent home in my collection.

You are right, this could be a total sleeper as far as "parents" go. The cover of Issue #2 however might set off a parental warning instinct haha

19842.jpg.ae85a47801c5aa8f94732d3ab5f5da2c.jpg

Yeah, pretty hard to talk your way around that cover... 🙂

I had a buddy at the time who managed to con his mom into buying a copy at the commissary (Tinker AFB, OK City). His dad found it (along with some other mags) and literally set fire to them on their outdoor grill. We were around 11 at the time...good times, indeed!

• Haha 1

Deathnote, Soundwave, cassette player Soundwave(!), classic Voltron, MAD Magazine... I could spend a few days down here just chillin' before I even played a single game. :)

I forgot 1UP made pinball tables. I might have to re-visit that.

And 100% agreed on Mortal Kombat. For me it was the damned BLOCK button. BLOCK was, and is, instinctively BACK on the controller. Damn it! 🤣

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...