IGNORED

Fruit Fly Fun (Atari 2600)

atari2600land

• 4 weeks later...

So I got to thinking and thought that perhaps some people might not want the fly to go behind the clouds. So I made it so if the left difficulty switch is set at A the flies move behind the clouds and if it's set at B then they don't. Changes only happen during the non-game. So if you change the left difficulty switch mid-game it won't happen until you die.

fly11.bin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried both games.

About "Flies!", what are bananas for?  What happens when flies arrive to them? Just decrease the score? I think that flies should go to bananas more directly (without that heavy random flight) and you must avoid that by killing them (a "splat" animation could be great). Every time a fly reaches to a banana, a bit of it should be removed and the game is over after there is no banana. Could you manage more flies at the same time? The other two enemies are fine, but those only say to me "don't go to the screen borders or I'll get you".

The flight of the fly looks lot better than before.

I'm not sure if it could be better that the fly eats one piece of the banana and disappear instead of keep eating the banana.

I liked the darker side of the bananas. If you have to keep playfield mirroring, you could use the ball at one side of the banana, and remove it when the first fly reaches the bottom.

Two bugs:

- When the hornet is leaving, the screen jitters.

- After the end of the game, the net disappears, but it appears again at the top when you move the joystick up. You can even move to the left and right.

Fixed some stuff.

• Fly bonus clock now resets all the time. It wasn't resetting after the hornet exited the screen
  • Changed the color of the swatter.
  • Changed the "4" digit.

fly15_dbg_4317c41a.png.785d814ac33a19da695f7ae5d5cf0f4d.png

I tried to make it so once the fly eats a bite he goes off screen but I had to give up because I couldn't get the scanline smooth.

fly15.bin

On 7/11/2023 at 12:15 AM, atari2600land said:

Changed the color of the swatter.

I like it.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:15 AM, atari2600land said:

Fly bonus clock now resets all the time.

So the score depends on the timer... that's good to know!

14 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Made it so the fly takes a bite of the banana and then flies away. Which do you like better, version 15a or 16?

I went directly to version 17, and I like that the fly goes away.

About game dynamics:

- If you are close to the sides, there is a high chance to be caught by the hornet, so it's better to stay in the center of the playfield.

- If you wait in the center and near the banana, the score will be lower, so you have to move to score more, but it does not worth the risk, not a big amount. I guess that most of the time I got between 5 and 9 points. I think it could be better a huge difference of score between splatting the fly earlier than later, inviting you to take risks.

- The brown hornet stays too long in the screen, it turns boring. It's not to hard to escape from it.

- The green hornet is for sure a dead if it appears from the same side of the playfield you are. Instead of a random side, I think that it could be the "other" side based on your current position, and the height could be the same as yours, forcing you to react and move away.

- Many times, the same hornet appeared again just after it left the screen. Avoid that, at least for the brown hornet.

- There is no increasing difficulty in this game. The hornets could be drivers for that: the green one could be slower at the beginning and increase its speed based on current score, a counter or something like that. Something similar for the brown one, slower and shorter stay time at the beginning.

46 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

New day, new changes:

• The hornet (red enemy) now stays on screen for a shorter amount of time.
  • Hornets and bees (green enemy) now begin appearing on the other side of the swatter.

Excellent improvements! The hornet definitely used to overstay its welcome and I've been caught off guard a number of times by a bee immediately slamming into me without a chance for me to get away.

- James

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Fruit Fly Fun on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 1