IGNORED

DrunkWitch [Completed]

karri

Small bug alert. While playing through the Drunk Witch I found out that the bartender witch creates "Swimming pool" cocktail without pinapple juice. So a lousy bartender blogger in my opinion. So if you try to make a Swimming pool cocktail, please leave out the juice. The rest of the recipes are mostly ok. The ingredient "Lemon" also works as a slice of "Lime" or "Orange".

I could fix it, but I won't. You should not trust internet bloggers anyway. Drunk Witch is no exception.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/21/2022 at 4:10 AM, karri said:

I realized that in order to get this done at all I just go for 160A graphics. This loses a lot of details in the main character. But it will be much easier to do for me.

7800dw.png.0072d8c177bc0e1ff82d9f42e278061a.png

I also decided to skip the font engine and go with pre-defined words. Here you see what components you can use to mix the drinks with. Whenever you manage to get a known drink you will attract a follower to your DrunkWitch bartender blog. The current game contains 16 named drinks thanks to @gambler172 who again helped me to meet my goals.
The goal of the game is to get as many likes as possible. But you cannot get more likes without attracting followers as well.

All the nice stuff like
- trolls insulting you
- bad drink reactions
- feeling miserable as you get no likes
will be added to the game later (for a small monthly subscription fee).

So, what do you need to do to get this miserable experience?

Just download the game and learn the controls:

### Storyline ###

You are trying to show your talents as a bartender by blogging your own
DrunkWitch channel. Unfortunately your audience is all the weirdos and
trolls found on the net. Try to survive by mixing quality drinks to
attract followers.

### Controls ###

* UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT - browse flasks
* FIRE - pour into cup
* FIRE2 or SELECT - drink

### The team behind it all ###

* Karri Kaksonen
* Walter Lauer

Edit:
After flipping the graphics and scaling them to 32 pixels high I end up having something usable for the compiler.

7800dw1.thumb.png.b24773387a2c1f1d75e1c20b5d637565.png

7800dw2.thumb.png.9a61b45f4cfa16b1a9c039dd6cae4e26.png

There will also be 3 different palettes in use:

- Furniture and room plus mirror palette
- Bartender palette (Elvira look with black hair and pale skin)
- Red table cloth and drinks palette

In Tiled I put together the playing area:

dwscene.png.b8a932e86e8528d5a84600bfcacd4254.png dwscene2.png.58661e0cce1614b33d818063452f3ec3.png

Why not 160B? You get 12 colors + transparency.

5 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Why not 160B? You get 12 colors + transparency.

Time. I just spent 9 days on doing the graphics, music and the code. So I wanted to use the easiest tools possible.

Besides, I still want to do my hearts bubble up from the bottom as they do on the Lynx DrunkWitch. But I need to learn how to program using holeys.

For Wizzy I plan to learn 160B for the main character.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karri said:

After the blog event yesterday I realized that DrunkWitch did not look so good on the NTSC system.

So I created a NTSC + PAL compatible version. And also added lots of drinks to all thirsty bartenders around. Enjoy!

DrunkWitch.a78 48.13 kB · 0 downloads

Hahaha.

then there's me being only 14 and have mostly drank milk and water for his entire life. 

pixilart-drawing.gif.7bda57b10559ed60c689ba75388aa39d.gif <--- It'll still be a fun game though! Then again I'll probably not try this on real hardware (I'm a NTSC guy) for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Ecernosoft

On 12/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing DrunkWitch on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• Elevator Agent (2022 Exclusive World Premiere | 2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc (Coding & Design), Nathan Strum @Nathan Strum (Art & Graphics), Pat Brady @Pat Brady (Music & Sounds) plus LIVE Video Interview with John Champeau
  • Lunar Patrol (2022 Exclusive World Premiere | 7800) by Oldstyle @OldStyle
  • DrunkWitch (Final Binary | 7800) by Karri Kaksonen @karri

1852366297_20221230-LetsPlay-Updated.thumb.jpg.d371cfe1787089f0bd2ff3c73c9e5cf8.jpg

Excelent artwork as always @ZeroPage Homebrew! Your art for ICT might as well be the official art as my artwork wasn't much better.

A+++ from me. 😃 

45 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Hahaha.

then there's me being only 14 and have mostly drank milk and water for his entire life. 

pixilart-drawing.gif.7bda57b10559ed60c689ba75388aa39d.gif <--- It'll still be a fun game though! Then again I'll probably not try this on real hardware (I'm a NTSC guy) for obvious reasons. 

Well, it has been years since I visited a bar. But please download the NTSC game once more. I had a but with the drink indices that I just fixed.

Oh. I also decided to share the sources.

The whole project was a cludge. I forgot about the LynXjam and started late. Coded DrunkWitch in a week. Ported it it 7800 in 9 days after that. So the source may be a bit messy.

Drunk Witch sources

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karri said:

Well, it has been years since I visited a bar. But please download the NTSC game once more. I had a but with the drink indices that I just fixed.

Oh. I also decided to share the sources.

The whole project was a cludge. I forgot about the LynXjam and started late. Coded DrunkWitch in a week. Ported it it 7800 in 9 days after that. So the source may be a bit messy.

Drunk Witch sources

Of course!

I'll still try it, I'm not saying I won't. 😃 

I just probably won't play it alot because.... (parrents are weird sometimes.)

Of course I'll still  test it out for you. :D so there's that.

I can confirm if it works on real hardware if you'd like. Just let me know. also keep in mind that it would need to work on concerto.

Edited by Ecernosoft

27 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Of course!

I'll still try it, I'm not saying I won't. 😃 

I just probably won't play it alot because.... (parrents are weird sometimes.)

Of course I'll still  test it out for you. :D so there's that.

I can confirm if it works on real hardware if you'd like. Just let me know. also keep in mind that it would need to work on concerto.

Thanks, but I don't need testing anymore. DrunkWitch was just my LynXjam entry. And the jam is over. The 7800 port was just a test to see if I can get TIA music to work. And multiple sprite sheets as well.

Obviously I still don't get holey to work correctly. Perhaps in 2023?

Happy New Year!

3 hours ago, karri said:

Thanks, but I don't need testing anymore. DrunkWitch was just my LynXjam entry. And the jam is over. The 7800 port was just a test to see if I can get TIA music to work. And multiple sprite sheets as well.

Obviously I still don't get holey to work correctly. Perhaps in 2023?

Happy New Year!

Oh, HOLEY DMA?

It's insanely simple. When it's turned on, data in the $9000-$9FFF, $B000-$BFFF, $D000-$DFFF, and $F000-$FFFF is treaded as 0's even if it's not.

Happy new year!

Edited by Ecernosoft

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Oh, HOLEY DMA?

It's insanely simple. When it's turned on, data in the $9000-$9FFF, $B000-$BFFF, $D000-$DFFF, and $F000-$FFFF is treaded as 0's even if it's not.

Happy new year!

So that is my problem. My tiles stretch from $B000 - $C000. So I just have not paid attention to where I can place my moving tiles. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...