IGNORED

Conner&Anthony (Atari 8bit only) beta version 8.0 out now! (Third song done)

Ok, so, I'll admit it. At first I was not a fan of the 5200/8bit. Their sprite capabilities were only one step above the 2600, compared to the 7800 which is one giant leap away from the 5200/8bit. And it's background capabilities aren't great either. But I decided to give the poor '79 machine another chance, and I'm glad I did!

It's got a lot of tricks up it's sleeve. Sure, it's harder to use said tricks than on the 7800, but I'm getting bored of that machine, time to switch things up!

And plus, those color or'ing capabilities in PRIOR %xxxx0000 are awesome. Can't forget the hires P/M tricks too!

Here is beta version 8.0:

Conner And Anthony VB8.0.atr; Actual game. (Music has been disabled.)

ConnerandAnthony_VB8.0.a Source code (Note: Won't assemble correctly if you try, since this is a "32K cartridge".

Sorry, no source code this time. Thanks for understanding.

Please note: Due to the fact that I don't want to rename the included file in the Makefile DASM code, For now, (This will change) the files don't have the version names. Sorry. 

NOTE: VB4.5 doesn't sound right, and this is because SOMEONE forgot the pokey sawtooth rule.... 

VB5.0 fixes this glitch and therefore sounds right.

Requirements:

Atari 800 w/ 48K RAM

image.thumb.png.7421b500aab0f4c7495bd89d222aa389.png; In case you are wondering, Anthony is Conner's brother. He is also blue.

Since I don't have a real 800/800xl to test on, someone who does please test for me!

Updates:

Note: The only difference between VB1.0 and VB2.0 is the code. "gameplay" is the same.

VB3.0: Music update.

VB4.0: displaying the new misty maze palette that is.... acceptable. I'm still working on the gfx though.

VB4.5: Bass line added to the music!

image.png.6ee1edb7efe231ee9d661d0f96fd9504.png; Isn't that a better color palette? (Note: This is an NTSC game. Sorry PAL users, but the game will look wrong for you. I will add a way to correct the colors for PAL users though.)

VB5.0: Music is FIXED. Get this version and NOT VB4.5.

VB5.5: Identical to VB5.0 gameplay wise except for the fact that Marble speedway's palette is present, AND there are some code differences. \

VB6.0: Disk image included AND a spinning thing for Marble speedway.

VB7.0: Music done. (Reminder: This is actually ICT3's music. Don't worry, the other zones AND C&A will get better, longer music. I was trying to get a system working. But, it sounds good, so I think I'll keep it! ) Also I Added Animated chains. 

VB7.5: Aqua beach song (mostly) done. Second half is missing though.

VB8.0 boss fight music added. I'm still wondering if ICT3 will get music though. I'm also going to change the color palette for Meta village zone. And Now Marble speedway is Marble Alley, and the "Green hill zone" graphic is in the game, however that will be changed (for obvious reasons).

Merry christmas everyone. 😃

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Like 3

Do you guys have any ideas for me?

I'm going to add back the boomerang from ICT1 (I promise it'll work right this time 😃 ) (Thank Atari for the hardware collision registers!) and the other powerups from ICT2. Also, your hearts count will be displayed above. 

The current stage layout plan is:

Meta Junglira, based on DA JUENGEL from Conner's Dreamland

Marble SPEEDWAY, based on a video I used to watch over and over when I was 5, 6 years old. Could never find it again. Was a red marble run video. (It used to say Marble city, my bad ;) )

Desert dazzle, based on the desert from SML, AND oil ocean zone. 

Misty maze, zone that appeared in Conner's dreamland (It was unnamed though. The name came from Sonic Megamix)

Mega Mountain, From a certain obscure atari 8bit game called Mountain king. Loved it. In case you don't know what it is, here is a video:

Edited by Ecernosoft

image.thumb.png.4701d05cd401bc832922b2c2f63c0188.png; Here's what the Marble speedway palette looks like...

image.thumb.png.87facfd8cedf029035c543c308d541d0.png; and the ugly Misty maze palette. I've decided to make this stage take place "over" marble speedway and therefore it will get a daytime palette. Unless you guys like it!

P.S. Conner/Anthony does have a walking animation.

DISCLAIMER!!!!

Things will be slow going forward...... so you know..... I'm trying to get ICT3 on the 7800 done as quickly as possible (The music you hear is actually from that game, but I'm deving it on Atari 8bit because I'm using 8bitworkshop here, and the 7800 emulator they've included doesn't have pokey support. If any of you know the people behind 8bitworkshop please let them know about the 7800's features they are missing!) and this game exists meerly as an artifact of the music routine right now. I plan to make it a real game, but it will be very slow (In terms of development). Just so you guys know.

I still plan for this to become it's own thing though!

Edited by Ecernosoft

If there is any sort of compliments I could offer, it's that this is a step in the right direction. I don't have much time to try this out. However, it's good that you're wrapping your head around A8 computers so far. Just be sure to keep this at a somewhat smaller scale than your intended ambitions of your other games.

Also, remember that while the 5200 is similar to the A8 in terms of hardware, they're not exactly compatible with each other.

Keep up the good work I guess. Thanks and have fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, r_chase said:

If there is any sort of compliments I could offer, it's that this is a step in the right direction. I don't have much time to try this out. However, it's good that you're wrapping your head around A8 computers so far. Just be sure to keep this at a somewhat smaller scale than your intended ambitions of your other games.

Also, remember that while the 5200 is similar to the A8 in terms of hardware, they're not exactly compatible with each other.

Keep up the good work I guess. Thanks and have fun.

Yes, I know.

Question by the way- how can I get a disk based image? (My compiler always defaults to the .bin extention which means that trying to run it in Altirra makes it think it's a cartridge. This means the game would only work on an 800 since it's a 16KB file. I want my game to be a 32K disk image so how do I do that? 

(P.S. I'm thinking about making a 5200 version as well, so I'll make a download for that eventually if anyone wants that.)

This game is going to become something real, but it's going to take some time.

And yes, this will be at a smaller scale than my other games ambitions. (I still think I'll try and get 16 levels though, is that fair?) I understand that ICT3 tried to do too much for it's own good honestly. What do you think of my other games? (Be sure to check out my 2600 software too, but be warned, it's not that great due to the strict limitations of the 2600.)

I appreciate the nice words though. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hmmmm,

I am not a programmer, but BIN is not always a cartridge, it can also be (and in your case most-likely is) a BINary Machine Language (ML) file. Think you have to add start, end and run adress to make it a .COM or .XEX file that can be loaded from DOS or gamedos. In DOS II there is an option, named "binary load" to load such files, however they will only load if they have start+end adress (and a COMfile header, starting with FF FF afaik) and run only if there is a run or init adress. As said before, not a programmer, so programmers out there, please correct me...

If your game is smaller than 32kbytes, I would not create a Bootdisk, an executable file (COM/XEX) would be enough. For most DOS versions, the start adress should not be lower than $2000, for other loaders (gamedos, bootloader, etc.) it can be somewhat lower, e.g. $1000 or $0A00 - but for highest compatibility you better do not use $0700-09FF.

7 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Think you have to add start, end and run adress to make it a .COM or .XEX file that can be loaded from DOS or gamedos.

*how?* Certain location you can do that? (P.S. I'm talking to the people who know more about Disk drives!) if you know anyone who's good with Disk drives @CharlieChaplin please ask them about that!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys...... sorry, bad news :(

I'm leaving atariage (for the most part). You can still PM me, but enough bad things have happened (in other parts) that me just being here is a risk for me.

It's not this part..... other places.

Thanks for understanding. This project also won't be finished.

@Ecernosoft

what's happened? sounds serious. Might want to talk with this fellow?

Okay I scanned a bunch of threads, it appears you get excited and run away with things... this is common, unfortunately many people can't tolerate the way in which this gets expressed.

I am old as are many here and we are used to sending the teenagers home when we've had our fill.

Don't let our screaming about getting of our lawn get you all worked up, instead do your work and eventually you will complete the project. When you do that it proves to yourself and others your passion is real. Many people don't like the kind of enthusiasm that is exuded and think that it is arrogance. That kind of arrogance is not what I am seeing. Just keep at it and don't let anyone kill you dream, only you can do that.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

@Albert,  what's happened? sounds serious. Might want to talk with this fellow?

Actually, it's not so much of me leaving, as it is me leaving the 7800 part of the forum.

I've had bad experiences there and after the ICT3 disaster, some people still are hostile towards me. Thankfully that's slimmed down to a few, but they are out there, despite my efforts.

I have modified my post. Please take a look, and keep on coding as there are people who will help you a little here and there. When you complete your project, weather they stuck with it or not, thank them. It goes a long way towards growth and future projects.

• Like 1

Just now, Ecernosoft said:

Actually @_The Doctor__ this project isn't getting finished because my passions have changed.

My plans are different now. 😕 not that I don't like this system, but I have new plans.

You have allowed an incident to kill your passion, this brings you down. You have to gain experience to keep yourself on track, if you fold you will keep folding. Maybe listen a little and reflect, do what you do and make it through. In a number of years you will either establish a pattern of trying hard and failing and trying again over and over until you succeed or you wont. The latter being a sadness to witness. I'd rather see you keeping your passions and fighting your way to whatever successes you can.

Repeated failures oddly lead to success when you keep trying.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Actually @_The Doctor__ this project isn't getting finished because my passions have changed.

My plans are different now. 😕 not that I don't like this system, but I have new plans.

I understand why you'd want to give up. Give it some time... hopefully you'll come back to it in the future. I'm really curious to see how your game pans out if you do decide to come back to it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You have allowed an incident to kill your passion, this brings you down. You have to gain experience to keep yourself on track, if you fold you will keep folding. Maybe listen a little and reflect, do what you do and make it through. In a number of years you will either establish a pattern of trying hard and failing and trying again over and over until you succeed or you wont. The latter being a sadness to witness. I'd rather see you keeping your passions and fighting your way to whatever successes you can.

Repeated failures oddly lead to success when you keep trying.

Ok, ok!!!

I can continue…….. I’ll try……. but my passions have changed. Partially because of that, but I’m also now programming for modern platforms too. 

1 minute ago, Zolaerla said:

I understand why you'd want to give up. Give it some time... hopefully you'll come back to it in the future. I'm really curious to see how your game pans out if you do decide to come back to it!

Yes! Of course. I plan to return when things change for the better and I have more time.

• Like 2

It’s also because I’m getting back to modern systems, for two reasons:

1. Because I want people outside of atariage to experience my creations 

2. Unfortunately as much as I love retro, it will get me nowhere in terms of a job……… (reminder: I’m only 14. Getting an early start would be good, and somewhere in the future I intend to learn modern assembly language (x64))

• 5 weeks later...