IGNORED

PAL Amiga image offset on U.S. 1084 monitor - is this normal?

oracle_jedi

Running a PAL-default timing A1200 on a U.S. 1084 monitor, and the screen is offset vertically.

Part of the top of the image is missing, and there's a huge matt bar at the bottom.  With Lemmings it doesn't matter too much, but with PGA Golf the top menu bar is no longer visible.

Is there a simple way to fix this, such that the monitor is still suitable for use with my other computers, none of which have this problem - including my Atari STE running in 50Hz mode.

lemmings.thumb.jpg.0de5dd69595846eebfe5ecc56ee8fac0.jpg

13 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I used to run my Amiga 2000HD in PAL mode all the time. I had to adjust Vertical Size control on the back of my 1084S whenever I switched between NTSC and PAL

Okay thanks.  Sounds like a royal pain but at least it is expected behaviour.

Wasn't an issue, I'd switched between NTSC and PAL so often that I could reach behind the monitor and adjust the vertical controls all while looking at the screen.  The S in 1084S stands for Stereo speakers, to support the Amiga's stereo audio.  

Part of the reason I switched between NTSC and PAL so much was I mostly used the Amiga in PAL mode (for the extra vertical resolution) but used NTSC mode for games. I would also watch TV on my 1084S via an S-VHS VCR connected to the chroma and luma inputs, which would look odd (squished and black bars on top/bottom) if I left the monitor adjusted for PAL.

There were numerous versions of the 1084 though, all with different layouts of controls and input jacks (and even different versions of the RGB inputs). Those without an S have a mono speaker.

I also have a 1084 that I'd picked up with a used C=128 a while back. Just checked and it's vertical controls are:

• V.HEIGHT - accessible via hole on the back
  • V.HOLD - knob on the front

I think V.HEIGHT would be the equivalent of VERTICAL SIZE on my 1084S; but needing to use a tool to adjust it would definitely have been a royal pain, so I'm glad I got the version I did with my Amiga..

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.1939509360c2d7a19845e0ed888cc44c.jpeg

IMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.35b56e4f4b48604848ad1e8578c24889.jpeg

• Like 2

I always used my A500 and pre-PIV A4000 in over-scan, so my VHEIGHT was adjusted such that I never really noticed the different between NTSC and PAL modes.

As a side note, I loved interlaced modes as it kept people from peeping over my shoulder.

2 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

I also have a 1084 that I'd picked up with a used C=128 a while back. Just checked and it's vertical controls are:

• V.HEIGHT - accessible via hole on the back
  • V.HOLD - knob on the front

I think V.HEIGHT would be the equivalent of VERTICAL SIZE on my 1084S; but needing to use a tool to adjust it would definitely have been a royal pain, so I'm glad I got the version I did with my Amiga..

Yeah I think this 1084 is the same as your 1084S - only this one is not stereo.  And the VSIZE/V.HEIGHT is around the back inside some little hole that is not easily accessible.

With all of the junk on the bench, and all of the stuff piled on top of the 1084, I have extension cables to bring the RGB and Composite Video jack to the front so I can swap out one retro machine for another without having to disturb the monitor.

Later I will get the SCART cable out and try it with my Sony PVM and see what it does.

55 minutes ago, oracle_jedi said:

And the VSIZE/V.HEIGHT is around the back inside some little hole that is not easily accessible.

That's a bummer.  It wasn't that obvious from my initial photo but my controls on the back stick out, and are very easy to turn with your finger tips.  I use an S-Video switch to switch between my Atari 2600 and Amiga CD32.

IMG_3224.thumb.jpeg.f8af723d3d2a2bcc2ba2b48e67ced865.jpeg