IGNORED

Connecting the VCS Modern controller in PC Mode

UHATEIT

I am trying to use the modern controller that comes with the VCS and use it in PC mode but it refuses to link or anything. 

Whether Bluetooth or even if wired, the thing just sits and blinks. I've tried what some have said as pressing the back and menu buttons and absolutely no linking happens just blinks and then times out. 

Any suggestions on this as far as linking the model controller in PC mode?

As an FYI this is when using the Atari USB dongle that has Debian and Linux installed. I am not planning to download or try to use Windows. But wanting this to work in the Debian/Linux setup. 

Just now, zzip said:

I think you have to push two of the buttons on the modern controller to switch it into PC/Xbox mode,  are you doing that?

Yeah the only things I found online were holding the 2 small buttons the back and menu for 5 seconds. All ir does it keep flashing and then eventually times out after a few minutes. 

I don't know if this has to do with the Debian/Linux versus Windows. Bur couldn't figure out how else to link this. Also tried it with the usb cable plugged into the VCS too and still doesn't link up or connect

• 4 weeks later...

I can connect it without problem in Linux, but I have problem setting some buttons in EmulationStation DE.

Like Right Trigger is not defined, when I press it.

Also Right Thumbstick Left is not detected.

What kind of problem is that? It works perfectly in cable mode, but not in BT mode.

• 1 month later...

Any new tips on this issue? I'm really frustrated with using the vcs controllers with windows 10. They work when connected via cable but not wirelessly.

They are found and at least the modern controller is found as controller in the blu tooth menu and shown as connected. But the input does not register.

I have enough other blue tooth controller laying around, so no big problem, but right now the modern and classic vcs controllers are nice looking objects on the shelf. Any idea how to properly use them wireless  in Windows?

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

Any new tips on this issue? I'm really frustrated with using the vcs controllers with windows 10. They work when connected via cable but not wirelessly.

They are found and at least the modern controller is found as controller in the blu tooth menu and shown as connected. But the input does not register.

I have enough other blue tooth controller laying around, so no big problem, but right now the modern and classic vcs controllers are nice looking objects on the shelf. Any idea how to properly use them wireless  in Windows?

So I have mine in PC mode using the Debian Linux Atari USB stick. I have been able to get it to work but it not as friendly as I'd like.

So anytime I was to play the VCS as the actual VCS (not in PC Mode) I have to reconnect the Bluetooth modern controller to the console. I do it by holding down the 2 little black buttons on the side of the Atari logo, then while still holding them push the Atari logo button until it turns on. The Atari logo will flash faster as if it's pairing then it works.

Now if I ever boot the VCS to PC mode, the damn modern controller literally has to be repaired every time if switching from normal VCS mode. It is the same process. I go on the VCS and in the upper corner there is a Bluetooth signal, click it and I actually have to remove the controller and then do the SAME pairing I mentioned above. It will show up as "Game Controller" and when it's linked it will say connected next to it. If only using the VCS in PC mode the Bluetooth modern controller stays linked everytime I go into PC Mode, it only has to be re-paired if I have put it into VCS Mode then it seems to unlink itself from PC Mode, which is annoying.

Basically, you have to re-pair it anytime you change the VCS modern controller from VCS Mode and PC Mode.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I do not plan to use it that much in the Atari OS so that shouldn't be a problem. It's just odd that I can connect it in Windows nice but then not being able to use it. Meh. I'll have to experiment a bit more on that I guess. 

On 3/4/2023 at 7:15 PM, UHATEIT said:

So anytime I was to play the VCS as the actual VCS (not in PC Mode) I have to reconnect the Bluetooth modern controller to the console. I do it by holding down the 2 little black buttons on the side of the Atari logo, then while still holding them push the Atari logo button until it turns on. The Atari logo will flash faster as if it's pairing then it works.

Now if I ever boot the VCS to PC mode, the damn modern controller literally has to be repaired every time if switching from normal VCS mode. It is the same process. I go on the VCS and in the upper corner there is a Bluetooth signal, click it and I actually have to remove the controller and then do the SAME pairing I mentioned above. It will show up as "Game Controller" and when it's linked it will say connected next to it. If only using the VCS in PC mode the Bluetooth modern controller stays linked everytime I go into PC Mode, it only has to be re-paired if I have put it into VCS Mode then it seems to unlink itself from PC Mode, which is annoying.

Basically, you have to re-pair it anytime you change the VCS modern controller from VCS Mode and PC Mode.

To be honest I have these types of issues with any bluetooth controller I use with multiple devices or multiple OSes on same device.

It takes much longer than it should to do the initial pairing with any device and sometimes it takes multiple scans to complete successfully.

BT is kind of old now,  I feel like they should be able to create an updated Bluetooth than makes initial pairing more seamless and that would take the pain out of this process.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zzip said:

To be honest I have these types of issues with any bluetooth controller I use with multiple devices or multiple OSes on same device.

It takes much longer than it should to do the initial pairing with any device and sometimes it takes multiple scans to complete successfully.

BT is kind of old now,  I feel like they should be able to create an updated Bluetooth than makes initial pairing more seamless and that would take the pain out of this process.

Yeah I mean I curse my BT headsets a lot because the loose connection and I have to pair them with my phone for unknown reasons but at least they do function at some point. The VCS Controller I haven't got to work on another machine than the VCS on the Atari OS yet. But I'll keep trying. And if not, I got quite a few xbox controllers floating around, they will do the job too. :)

So I tried to connect the modern controller via blue tooth on windows and it would have a hard time being found at all. Also wenn found still no movement, so right now it's basically useless without a cable. :(

Also it is a pity that there is no real indicator to know when the controller is in PC or console mode. I tried to press the two buttons to switch between the modes and half the time I wonder if this registers at all. That is some bad design there. I really like the looks and I really would have loved to use both controllers on my pc too but right now the xbox one controller is the weapon of choice and works reliably... I hope Atari can fix this with some update but probably they would have already done so if it was possible. 😕

6 hours ago, PeterG said:

So I tried to connect the modern controller via blue tooth on windows and it would have a hard time being found at all. Also wenn found still no movement, so right now it's basically useless without a cable. :(

Also it is a pity that there is no real indicator to know when the controller is in PC or console mode. I tried to press the two buttons to switch between the modes and half the time I wonder if this registers at all. That is some bad design there. I really like the looks and I really would have loved to use both controllers on my pc too but right now the xbox one controller is the weapon of choice and works reliably... I hope Atari can fix this with some update but probably they would have already done so if it was possible. 😕

That is the way it was designed.  It is only available wireless when used with a VCS.  For all other uses it must be wired and put into "PC mode".  Works just like any other third party controller for a PC as Micro$oft will not allow use of it's proprietary wireless programming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

That is the way it was designed.  It is only available wireless when used with a VCS.  For all other uses it must be wired and put into "PC mode".  Works just like any other third party controller for a PC as Micro$oft will not allow use of it's proprietary wireless programming.

Ahh. :D You wrote that somewhere else already yes? Now that I see you saying it, I think I glanced over it an decided that this can't be the answer. Lol. So thanks for repeating it. 🙂 Should probably be sticky somewhere as everyone is asking the same question. Lol.  But ok, that makes sense then and I can stop searching for a solution. Too bad though. I really hoped it would work without the cables. Well case closed then.

• Like 1

Yeah, sadly while you can get Bluetooth paired over PC (sometimes), the Modern controller is meant to be USB wired in PC Mode, and the controller cannot switch functionally between Xbox Mode and VCS Mode unless wired. I've gotten it working with Stella over Bluetooth, but not Steam. So, in general, keep the Modern plugged in when in PC Mode and you won't have issues. If you need to swap between controller types hold down the menu and back buttons until the Fuji flashes, it'll flash a few seconds then turn off, meaning it is in Xbox controller mode. Do it again and it'll flash then the Fuji will be lit when in VCS mode.

• Like 2

Ok, one more question here, now that I understood that they have to be connected via cable. So the modern controller is in PC mode and connected and everything works but the L and R triggers. I tried the USB controller test mode and these two buttons don't do anything. Any workaround for this as I would like to use the triggers for some games. Thank you.

• 8 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 9:05 AM, joeatari1 said:

o contraire, it works wirelessly on windows and with a recent update the triggers work (somewhat).

Edited by Thanone
because stupid