IGNORED

Do all the DPC+ sprites have their own missiles also?

Words Fail

I have not fooled with DPC+ at all, however my game is going to need it. The game is supposed to have player and 2 enemies to start. Those two enemies look the same, just reversed.. one is at top of screen, one on bottom. They always move in the same pattern. Later on levels add 2 enemies on the sides also. They also move the same pattern. There is also a 5th enemy that randomly spawns on the map and moves different than the other enemies. Lastly, a 6th "enemy" I was thinking to use as a bonus that if you can get before it disappears you get bonus points.

27 minutes ago, Words Fail said:

I have not fooled with DPC+ at all, however my game is going to need it. The game is supposed to have player and 2 enemies to start. Those two enemies look the same, just reversed.. one is at top of screen, one on bottom. They always move in the same pattern. Later on levels add 2 enemies on the sides also. They also move the same pattern. There is also a 5th enemy that randomly spawns on the map and moves different than the other enemies. Lastly, a 6th "enemy" I was thinking to use as a bonus that if you can get before it disappears you get bonus points.

Depending on how those enemies move, flicker may be an issue here. If the top and bottom enemies never overlap their vertical position, then they won't be a problem. The side ones will presumably overlap vertically at multiple times, and will flicker then , not to mention when they share vertical space with the top and bottom ones. The 5th one will probably flicker constantly, and make other sprites flicker even worse wherever it goes. All this assumes that the player uses the player0 real sprite (which won't flicker), and the enemies use players1-6, which ae all virtual sprites that are copies of the player1 sprite.

You can probably lessen the amount of flicker by staggering the enemy movements in such a way that they rarely share vertical space, but if you don't then there may be times where the flicker becomes too much.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, Karl G said:

Depending on how those enemies move, flicker may be an issue here. If the top and bottom enemies never overlap their vertical position, then they won't be a problem. The side ones will presumably overlap vertically at multiple times, and will flicker then , not to mention when they share vertical space with the top and bottom ones. The 5th one will probably flicker constantly, and make other sprites flicker even worse wherever it goes. All this assumes that the player uses the player0 real sprite (which won't flicker), and the enemies use players1-6, which ae all virtual sprites that are copies of the player1 sprite.

You can probably lessen the amount of flicker by staggering the enemy movements in such a way that they rarely share vertical space, but if you don't then there may be times where the flicker becomes too much.

Well that's good. None of them are ever in the same vertical position.

path.thumb.png.326e268949f9386786e221b150863b8b.png

Edited by Words Fail

Anyway, it took me an hour or so but I cleaned up some code and moved over to DPC+ now. Man is this great so far.

Bank2 is now my main code.

Bank3 resides levels only. I have Bank4 empty for more levels. But I cna fit over 100 levels in one bank! That's plenty!

Bank5 has some miscellaneous stuff.

The only thing I have not done is converted over my coordinates for the enhanced playfield resolution.

• Like 1

You could flicker the missiles. I do that in my Red Light Green Light project. I basically use something like 8 variables per missile to draw, move, then save the coordinates each frame, alternating which is loaded. I used SuperChip RAM but I could imagine this would work some way in DPC+. I had never tried it but I wonder if using the stack would work just as well where instead of using the variables you just push variables to the stack each frame. 

18 hours ago, KevKelley said:

You could flicker the missiles. I do that in my Red Light Green Light project. I basically use something like 8 variables per missile to draw, move, then save the coordinates each frame, alternating which is loaded. I used SuperChip RAM but I could imagine this would work some way in DPC+. I had never tried it but I wonder if using the stack would work just as well where instead of using the variables you just push variables to the stack each frame. 

My friend has been testing on Harmony / real hardware. I will try to pick up an Atari next paycheck and a Harmony. I'm looking around for a free or super cheap crt now.