IGNORED

What's a good place to source RAM and an m.2 SSD for the VCS?

T.A.P.

For SSD,  it needs to be an m.2. SATA drive (make sure it's SATA and not the NVMe type),   I have a Western Digital blue in mine but any reputable brand should be fine.    Amazon and Newegg are good places to buy

Memory uses standard parts too, but if you want to overclock faster RAM,  there are people here with specific brand recommendations.

3 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

I am not interested in overclocking stuff really, I just figured it would be nice to have more in the system, assuming it actually helps.

Speaking of which, does adding more RAM actually provide any benefit to the system in VCS mode?

I don't doubt it helps in PC mode.

Extra RAM will not provide any benefit in "VCS mode".  If you are looking at using PC mode with Windows, then 16 or 32 GB would be beneficial.  If you are using a lighter OS such as a Linux variant then you can get by with the stock 8GB without any trouble.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, T.A.P. said:

I am not interested in overclocking stuff really, I just figured it would be nice to have more in the system, assuming it actually helps.

Speaking of which, does adding more RAM actually provide any benefit to the system in VCS mode?

Atari and AMD advise DDR4 SODIMM 2400MHz RAM, so I'd stick with that personally.  In AtariOS ('VCS mode'), the extra RAM won't do much for games or the Dashboard as they designed to run optimally within 8GB, but it's a Linux OS so the kernel will use it.  You may benefit when using the Chrome browser for multiple tabs etc.  Really, extra RAM will be of more benefit when rebooting into another OS ('PC mode'), then the amount comes down to what OS you will mostly use and how intensive the software you intend to run will be.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, T.A.P. said:

I doubt more than 8gb will really benefit most users.  Consider that PS4/Xbox One only have 8gb.   Unless you have a specific use in mind that requires extra RAM, I wouldn't bother adding more.

• 1 month later...

i am starting to look into adding a internall SSD ,my factory drive is almost full , can someone lease tell me if its possible to install a extra internall SSD and have it split up for Atati OS storage and have Windows installed on the rest ?whats the biggest SSD i can use?im sure 2 TB should be enough?the only PC i got is Atari PC on a stick so i will have a reputable computer shop fix me up if possible, i like the PC on a stick but Steam games crash if im able to get them working at all,im trying to avoid buying a PC or Steam Deck.i understand the limits of the VCS but the games im interested in are not that demanding ,i can use my PS5 for AAA gaming .it sure would be sweet if i could get that Atari OS PC Mode up and running with Windows

24 minutes ago, LevelUp said:

i am starting to look into adding a internall SSD ,my factory drive is almost full , can someone lease tell me if its possible to install a extra internall SSD and have it split up for Atati OS storage and have Windows installed on the rest ?whats the biggest SSD i can use?im sure 2 TB should be enough?the only PC i got is Atari PC on a stick so i will have a reputable computer shop fix me up if possible, i like the PC on a stick but Steam games crash if im able to get them working at all,im trying to avoid buying a PC or Steam Deck.i understand the limits of the VCS but the games im interested in are not that demanding ,i can use my PS5 for AAA gaming .it sure would be sweet if i could get that Atari OS PC Mode up and running with Windows

Go to the PC mode sub forum HERE and you will find multiple answers to your question.

• Like 1