IGNORED

NES problem

Is that connector in there original?  A lot of the modern ones are terrible poor quality chinese garbage knockoffs that tend to be very tight and also will usually work without pushing the game down, some will argue (I never tried it as they're garbage) they can scratch away the layer of surface off your game carts pin connectors.

If it is original odds are you have a strange issue with the thing maybe being dirty yet somehow making upward contact.  I'd either way tear it down, see if something is dislodged either way, and go ahead with a deep cleaning.  If it's an original, boil it in a pot of hot water for 5min to get off invisible funk and help normalize it a bit better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Is that connector in there original?  A lot of the modern ones are terrible poor quality chinese garbage knockoffs that tend to be very tight and also will usually work without pushing the game down, some will argue (I never tried it as they're garbage) they can scratch away the layer of surface off your game carts pin connectors.

If it is original odds are you have a strange issue with the thing maybe being dirty yet somehow making upward contact.  I'd either way tear it down, see if something is dislodged either way, and go ahead with a deep cleaning.  If it's an original, boil it in a pot of hot water for 5min to get off invisible funk and help normalize it a bit better.

72-pin is super tight! Sounds like it is a cheap replacement. I tried to boil it recently, but nothing changed. Maybe I will try another 72-pin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if it works, I'd keep the original if you have it still.  You can address the connection issue simply with straightening the pins back where they should with a safety pin which takes a few minutes, the minutes needed to boil a pot of water, to then soak it in for 5min.  The combination of the two will make it like factory fresh again. I'd not do that with the KOs, but the old original is aluminum, seems to like the hot water bath and won't rust.

40 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well if it works, I'd keep the original if you have it still.  You can address the connection issue simply with straightening the pins back where they should with a safety pin which takes a few minutes, the minutes needed to boil a pot of water, to then soak it in for 5min.  The combination of the two will make it like factory fresh again. I'd not do that with the KOs, but the old original is aluminum, seems to like the hot water bath and won't rust.

I don't think I removed an original from this NES. Seemed it was a very bad repop. Fit was very tight and had no markings. Do the original 72-pin have any indicators anywhere? I did keep it.

Edited by chilicheesefried

16 minutes ago, chilicheesefried said:

I don't think I removed an original from this NES. Seemed it was a very bad repop. Fit was very tight and had no markings. Do the original 72-pin have any indicators anywhere? I did keep it.

If there are I forgot.  Maybe the look of the molding on the black frame the pins sit in may be obvious but I'd need a pair to like compare, but someone else though may know.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish they'd restart production on the Blinking Light Win, that thing makes it so all of my games (that are cleaned) start up on the first try 99.9% of the time. it does have a slight death grip if I leave the cartridge in there for a while though, but still. way better than all the other solutions

• Like 1