IGNORED

Tunnels of Doom - preloaded adventures - please test

blackbox

A couple of zips attached with BIN files for snapshots of Tunnels of Doom - Assault the City and Computer Nightmare. - no need to load the tape data.
These load and run fine on a PC using MESS but the intention was to use "preloaded" adventures with Final Grom.

On my console these crash on FinalGrom at a fairly early stage- my guess is a speed issue with the 40k Grom file. Do these work with your consoles? If no- any hints on what would need fixing?

I have quite a set of these but have come to a bit of a stop. Garfield adventure seems to have a problem generally- possibly my dump is a bad one.

While here- I am reconstructing the TI User Group disk library to put up on wht, and would welcome any web addresses you have for collections of disk images, especially the more recent disks- I have wht, archive org, and the Cyc already and have just added Milwaukee. And still disks missing...

Comments welcome. All the best for the season and the coming year- Stephen Edited by blackbox
  • Thanks 1

It seems I can no longer attach anything and this new sparkly host doesn't seem to like links either- last try-
downloads from my webspace at
" h t t p : // " shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/ti/todassaultthecity.zip and

* h t t p : // * shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/ti/todcomputernightmare.zip

......stephen

Thanks for those TMOP. I split the C&D files to maintain compatibility with some much older software.

Sadly your bin files also do not function with fg99 - I take a little comfort from that - but there is still the sad fact that the environment that would most benefit from this treatment is proving itself unhelpful.

Anyone else try these with fg99 and get them to work? It is either timing or we need to trim something somewhere somehow....

Tunnels does take some strange paths- for example the data file includes a PAB which overwrites the normal pab- very odd.

all the best for the New Year s
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, blackbox said:

While here- I am reconstructing the TI User Group disk library to put up on wht, and would welcome any web addresses you have for collections of disk images, especially the more recent disks- I have wht, archive org, and the Cyc already and have just added Milwaukee. And still disks missing...

Just a quick off topic ad here.  The CYC is continually updated and still available through CaDD Electronics.  Their web site is a bit of a mess to purchase from, but if you're interested them PM me your contact email and I will forward it to Mike Wright.

Ernie

Now.. back to the show.. 😉

• Like 4

Thanks for that - I am in touch with Mike and just sent him the Milwaukee disks, which he didn't have til now. It made me wonder if there were other disk collections out there keeping a low profile... we need a concerted effort to get these before they totally disappear. I will be putting the TIUGUK library onto WHT when (if?) I get it into a reasonable state (target 80%, target date is March 2023, but there is much hard work to be done....) and then adding the appropriate WHT page onto web.archive as well as links on my own website. Intention is to keep the information out there for the long term. All the best S
  • Like 2

Thank you Ernie- your hard work so early on has certainly saved a lot of TI software. It is a pity that so many user groups rushed to process their entire collections rapidly with slightly incompatible software. I have looked at thousands of disk images, many corrupted- and it seems that the original TI 5.25 inch disks have lasted far longer than their replacements; that many TI disks suffered an element of damage by being processed through Myarc disk controllers, more damage if a Geneve was involved, more damage if the original TI disk had fractured files (typically a fairly full disk but the disk history was also an element), and extensive damage if the now fragile TI Disk had then been edited in any way eg by adding a LOAD program or extra docs. The transferred dsk images remain fragile if the original TI disk bit map was adrift- the safest way to treat the dsk images is to create a new blank TI disk image and copy the files over, creating a new bitmap.
So two items remain: Does anyone have access to or know of a TI Disk Collection not on the main repositories yet?
and -
Has anyone been able to run with an FG99 and standard console, the Tunnels of Doom snapshot .BIN files which have the data preloaded
(No-one has asked- but I do intend to add the Milwaukee disks to WHT in due course- after the TIUGUK disks have been thoroughly checked out and recreated if lost, if possible.. In the absence of a catalog I will look to create a detailed listing of the Milwaukee disks to make them more accessible.)
Happy new year all..... s
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, blackbox said:

Has anyone been able to run with an FG99 and standard console, the Tunnels of Doom snapshot .BIN files which have the data preloaded

I have two FG99's, on one both games run fine, on the second FG99 they seemed to run fine with nothing attached to the side port.

With the PEB plugged in(powered on or not) or speech module, there were corrupt screens and lockups.(I also have a few other games do this)

I believe this is a FG issue.

BTW: Garfield has always had an issue when trying to play as Class 4(super cat) when the game starts. It can be easily fixed.

Edited by Fritz442

to get the TOD carts working in MAME and Classic99, I had to split them into 3 files.

C - 8k

D - 8k

G - 40k

rom0="G|6000|A000|STREK_G.BIN"
rom1="C|6000|2000|STREK_C.BIN"
rom2="X|6000|2000|STREK_X.BIN"

<rom id="gromimage" file="strek_g.bin"/>
      <rom id="romimage" file="strek_c.bin"/>
      <rom id="rom2image" file="strek_d.bin"/>

<pcb type="paged">
          <socket id="grom_socket" uses="gromimage"/>
          <socket id="rom_socket" uses="romimage"/>
          <socket id="rom2_socket" uses="rom2image"/>

maybe it helps with your fg99?

strek.rpk strek-classic99.zip

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, Fritz442 said:

BTW: Garfield has always had an issue when trying to play as Class 4(super cat) when the game starts. It can be easily fixed.

If you can fix it?.

any chance of an upload. :)

MAME also has a gromemu option i forgot about...

so it does work with 2 files.

40k and 16k

<rom id="gromimage" file="tunnel_g.bin"/>
      <rom id="romimage" file="tunnel_c.bin"/>
   </resources>
   <configuration>
       <pcb type="gromemu">
          <socket id="grom_socket" uses="gromimage"/>
          <socket id="rom_socket" uses="romimage"/>

classic99 uses "8" mode.

rom0="G|6000|A000|tunnel_G.BIN"
rom1="8|0000|4000|tunnel_8.BIN"

• Like 1

Yeah NP, the issue with the game was when playing (Super Cat) the start item for him was a Wand (Pooky Zapper)

with a Max usage # of '0'. This means when you pick up that item it's used immediately, meaning you can't carry it.

When the game starts it errors and corrupts. I simply replaced the '0' with a '6' in the TOD editor.  :thumbsup:

TOD_Garfield_Class4_fixed_.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I found your editor last night and tried fixing that error in my copy. :D

seems my copy is even more corrupted than that simple fix.

it doesn't even start when selecting SUPER CAT.

maybe due to save game data?

so many thanks for that working and fixed version.

ok, i did get my original (BAD) copy working with the editor after all. 😃

i think i tested the bad version after fixing it. 🙄

Had to rename a blank weapon entry to SWORD, to clear the editor error message.

byte comparing the 2 files (in a hex editor) Fritz's fixed version and my fixed copy.

*both working*

there are many differences between the 2 files.

some differences will be the saved game data, but not sure about others.

I guess Fritz's is the one to have and mine is from a bad online source?.

when you compare the last part of the file, it looks like the floor map.

i think my copy looks less corrupt.

tod-garf.zip

garf.gif

Edited by .mad.
add pic
  • Like 2

Yes, mine has the saved game deleted so it contains garbage until it is saved over. On the sword name error,

the error from the editor says 'Possible name error', since this is a Sword-it has no ammo, so that box should be blank.

The test routine just looks for blank boxes and complains "Possible", I will fix that in the next update.

The other error 'Monster Data #45 *** Special Attack Error ***' IS a valid game error. If you look at monster #45(SERPENTOR)

it has the special attack chance set to 20% but has '0' as the special attack damage, it should be '1 or more' damage inflicted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tmop69 said:

Just realized that in my TOD pack not all the games are included (in particular the two games in the original TI tape).

which ones?

I think they are all in the pack i downloaded. :)

Doom Games 1 is a duplicate of Quest For The Magic Maker.

8 hours ago, .mad. said:

which ones?

I think they are all in the pack i downloaded. :)

Doom Games 1 is a duplicate of Quest For The Magic Maker.

Surely Pennies & Prizes and Quest Of the King from TI.
Assault the City, Computer Nightmare, Doctor Who, The Dark Tower, The Dragon Orbs and The Tomb of Death from Asgard Software unless are duplicates with other names.

Ah! i see what you meant.

not in the small pack above.

i was confused as those carts are all in my GB update folder, and i know i got them all from your mega pack.

TI99_MiSTer_FPGA_Core_SSS_Mega_Pack_V4.1.0

*I split all M99 files into two myself.😉

The Evil Dungeon (Single) is designed to be played as a Single player only as Class4. So, all the *Inactive* players should have NO start items,

as these players are not to be played. EVL-MULT is played as Class1, 2 or 3 and Class4 is *Inactive*.  ;)

This is the same for Computer Quest(Single & Mult).

Edited by Fritz442
  • Like 1