IGNORED

MyCos

ascrnet

I present Mycos, a small cassette operating system with the essentials I think you should have to use this classic device.
It was thought for the XL/XE series, some basic functions necessary for the newbies to use the cassette.

mycos.png?raw=true

A.    Back to Basic when it is active to use this included language.
B.    Activate or deactivate the cassette engine, necessary to listen to the tape and detect where the program is.
C.    Verify the load, this checks if your program in Basic, assambler or binary loads without problems from the same tape.
D.    Load and run a binary program from tape, using the standard tscb loader from @baktra.
E.    Generate a copy of the MyCos in case you need it "similar to option H: in DOS".
F.    Cold reboot your ATARI.

I also share the sources in case anyone is interested in learning or giving any better suggestions as I am not an OS expert.

DOWNLOAD

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Back in the 80s we did have COS as a type-in program from german magazine Computer Kontakt (named CKCOS.COM in my collection). Could never really figure out how it works, I had to press Start and then either Select or Option to make the program load something, but most tape files did not load at all and there was no difference if I pressed Select or Option...

From Happy Computer magazine there was also a program named COS (by Hendrik Fisch, named HappyCOS.COM in my collection). It acted as a gamedos and it could load COM/XEX files from tape with Basic enabled or disabled, which was good for several ML type-in listings (that did not produce boot-tapes), but most hacked/cracked ML games did not work with it.

Therefore I was always a fan of BL/C  also known as binary load cassette. Approx. half a dozen (or more?) versions exist and they could load all my pirated ML files from tape, a standard 1010 tape recorder with 600 Baud. Nowadays I have no use for COS or BL/C anymore, just good old memories...

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=5. Magnetofon&tg=BLC#BLC

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes cd/Holmes 1/ATR Programs/Applications A-Z/Casette Operating System.atr

CASTOOLs.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Thanks for the collection if I knew several, but I always found them not very useful to work with BASIC, one of the biggest problems was when you record your program with the CSAVE command and then it did not load with CLOAD. With this program you can verify the loading without losing your program in Basic to redo the CSAVE command on a new tape if the previous one failed.

Nowadays it doesn't make much sense as there are better alternatives to save and load program without loss, but it was something I did to learn assembler using this device, loved by some and hated by others.😅