IGNORED

Finally got my PS5, anything I should know before I set it up?

Frozone212

I got a 4TB external drive, but that might be overkill for me.   Especially since many of the games have released PS5 versions (as Witcher recently did),   On the other hand,  you can use the external drive to archive PS5 games if your space gets low on the SSD, but you can't play them from external.

If you haven't already, read up on how to transfer your save data.   That was a bit time consuming for me.

On 12/25/2022 at 2:09 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

Congrats! I recommend on getting a USB drive for storage and playing PS4 games

Since I couldn't get one before I've only just now started reading up on the PS5.  Looking at Sony's PS5 support pages for storage I see:

USB extended storage on PS5 consoles:

• You can store PS5 games and PS4 games.
  • You can play PS4 games directly from USB extended storage, which lets you save space on your PlayStation®5 console storage for PS5 games.
  • To play PS5 games, you need to copy game data from your USB extended storage drive back to your PS5 console's internal SSD storage. It’s much quicker to copy a PS5 game from USB extended storage than to re-download it.

and How to add an M.2 SSD to a PS5 console:

Once installed in the PS5 console, M.2 SSD storage can be used to download, copy, and launch PS5 and PS4 games, as well as media apps. This allows you to increase the storage space available to you on your PS5 console. You can freely move games between the PS5 console’s storage, a connected USB extended storage device and the added M.2 SSD storage.

Having to manually manage the location of PS5 games to play them seems like a hassle. I don't have any PS4 games, though I'll probably pick up Spyro Reignited, so other than being cheaper is there any other reason to opt for USB storage?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Since I couldn't get one before I've only just now started reading up on the PS5.  Looking at Sony's PS5 support pages for storage I see:

USB extended storage on PS5 consoles:

and How to add an M.2 SSD to a PS5 console:

Having to manually manage the location of PS5 games to play them seems like a hassle. I don't have any PS4 games, though I'll probably pick up Spyro Reignited, so other than being cheaper is there any other reason to opt for USB storage?

Thanks!

When I first got my system the M.2 storage expansion wasn't enabled from Sony yet so I pretty much had to go with a USB drive. Id just get the M.2 since that option is available now.

As for managing where games go its automatic when you set it up how you want it. You can choose where PS4 and PS5 games get installed.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 11:40 AM, SpiceWare said:

It's really not that bad.   I guess it depends how large your PS4 game collection is and how many you want to bring over to PS5.

If not that many, just install everything to internal.

But if you do get an external USB, there is an option that will force it to download every PS4 game to USB and every PS5 game internal and you don't have to worry about it (until one runs out of space of course)

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 7:25 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

When I first got my system the M.2 storage expansion wasn't enabled from Sony

Ah, now that you mention it I vaguely recall seeing something about M.2 getting enabled after release. 

7 hours ago, zzip said:

I guess it depends how large your PS4 game collection is and how many you want to bring over to PS5.

Thanks! My most current console is a PS3, so no existing collection of PS4 games to worry about.  I'll probably wait until I need the space before picking up an M.2 for it.

I plan to start out with 2 PS5 games (besides the Ragnarök that comes bundled with it).

• Ratchet & Clank, been wanting that since early 2021
  • Atari 50. I wasn't originally interested in this, but have heard good things about it like how interesting all the behind the scenes stuff is.

As mentioned above, I'd like to pick up PS4's Spyro Reignited. The original Spryo is what got me back into consoles in the 90s, and I periodically replay the trilogy to this day. Most recently I played rips of my original discs rendered at nearly 4K on my Mac mini using Duckstation - it's amazing how much detail was hidden away in a PS1 game:

IMG_1498D.jpg.7c4997fc877cc92b71e50f7eec

I've not kept up with the PS4 or PS5, so will have to do some research on the games out for them.

I also need to read up on PlayStation Plus. Looks like a bunch of older games are included with the Extra and Premium levels. Looks like the PS1 games might be rendering at 4K like Spyro does on my Mac mini:

6 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Thanks! My most current console is a PS3, so no existing collection of PS4 games to worry about.  I'll probably wait until I need the space before picking up an M.2 for it.

I plan to start out with 2 PS5 games (besides the Ragnarök that comes bundled with it).

• Ratchet & Clank, been wanting that since early 2021
  • Atari 50. I wasn't originally interested in this, but have heard good things about like how interesting all the behind the scenes stuff is.

As mentioned above, I'd like to pick up PS4's Spyro Reignited. The original Spryo is what got me back into consoles in the 90s, and I periodically replay the trilogy to this day. Most recently I played rips of my original discs rendered at nearly 4K on my Mac mini using Duckstation - it's amazing how much detail was hidden away in a PS1 game:

In that case don't even bother with external storage,  you probably won't have enough PS4 games to justify it.

• Like 1

Arrived a day early, so I picked it up on my lunch break

In-store options were pretty sparse, they must have sold most of their stock for Xmas, though I managed to find a copy of Ratchet & Clank.

Anyway need to get back to work, will set it up in a few hours.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4cd93c7efc93a4bd5bd008fe374a8f1.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Arrived a day early, so I picked it up on my lunch break

In-store options were pretty sparse, they must have sold most of their stock for Xmas, though I managed to find a copy of Ratchet & Clank.

Anyway need to get back to work, will set it up in a few hours.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4cd93c7efc93a4bd5bd008fe374a8f1.jpeg

Congrats! Thats a great game to show off the SSD.

• Like 1

Up and running!

Initially when I turned on HDR the PS5 dropped the resolution down to 1080p. Puzzled me for a bit before I remembered I had to turn on "Full UHD Color" for the specific HDMI input on my Vizio for HDR to work at 2160p.

The included HDMI cable's just a tad short for my setup, so I initially had the PS5 turned sidewise on my TV stand. I found a few longer HDMI cables in my stash. All are labeled "High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet". I don't think they're quite up to spec for the PS5, but 1 of them managed to work at 4K HDR @ 60 Hz. It's a quite a bit longer than I need so plan to pick up a new one, but at least the PS5 isn't sitting sideways anymore.

I liked how the PS5 installed Ratchet & Clank while I was going thru the initial setup process.  R&C also had an update to install. Ragnarök is bundled as a digital download, so I redeemed the code and installed it as well.

I got sucked into ASTRO's Playroom, fun platformer that does a great job of showing of the DualSense control. I'd heard about the trigger feedback but didn't really grok what it meant, and had no idea it had a microphone and speaker built in - I thought you had to plug in a headset for that. I made it to the end of SSD Speedway, and am about halfway thru Memory Meadow. The artifacts are neat - I'd forgotten all about Eye Toy.

Anyway time for dinner.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Initially when I turned on HDR the PS5 dropped the resolution down to 1080p. Puzzled me for a bit before I remembered I had to turn on "Full UHD Color" for the specific HDMI input on my Vizio for HDR to work at 2160p.

Haha, I was going to mention this in my "advice", since the same thing happened to me.  but I couldn't remember what the "fix" was :)

8 minutes ago, zzip said:

Haha, I was going to mention this in my "advice", since the same thing happened to me.  but I couldn't remember what the "fix" was :)

Had same issue when I set up the TV, but that was back in 2019 so I'd forgotten about it.

I suspect each TV brand would have a different name for that setting.  I do find it strange that it needs that setting to begin with since devices like the PS5 can detect supported resolutions, etc. and react accordingly.

41 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I suspect each TV brand would have a different name for that setting.  I do find it strange that it needs that setting to begin with since devices like the PS5 can detect supported resolutions, etc. and react accordingly.

Yeah I think my TV had a different name for it.    It's a Sony TV, but that didn't mean the PS5 was any wiser about configuring that setting or telling me what I needed to do.   Although it did detect everything else.

Ha!  That's awesome.  I love that little bit of trivia!  How did you even notice that??

Edit: A buddy of mine who was an early PS5 adopter says his 2nd (newer) controller is the same, but his first is smooth.  So the "PS-button-icon texture" might be a 2nd controller revision?  Now I have to check mine when I get home!

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1