IGNORED

Finally got my PS5, anything I should know before I set it up?

Frozone212

Textures are visible in Astro's Playroom:

image.thumb.jpeg.f4b7c066822685928748675e164f3dd6.jpeg

Crop:

image.jpeg.f77acd232f5de5c7f4ba62e9a2a4c0f4.jpeg

noticed it on the PS5 as well, on the inner parts of the shell:

image.thumb.jpeg.972f2acde60357896a042a2265899582.jpeg

Crop:

image.jpeg.b06b5489e59cdd87a5bebc2ec697896c.jpeg

On my PS5:

image.thumb.jpeg.bea65dbb0de75f51834ed7eb179bab3b.jpeg

Crop:

image.jpeg.c8d204551cbfea713add05ed123b6b69.jpeg

It's also present on the other PS5 artifacts I've found so far, Wireless Headset and HD Camera, though I don't have them so can't check.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:56 AM, SpiceWare said:

Ah, now that you mention it I vaguely recall seeing something about M.2 getting enabled after release. 

Thanks! My most current console is a PS3, so no existing collection of PS4 games to worry about.  I'll probably wait until I need the space before picking up an M.2 for it.

I plan to start out with 2 PS5 games (besides the Ragnarök that comes bundled with it).

• Ratchet & Clank, been wanting that since early 2021
  • Atari 50. I wasn't originally interested in this, but have heard good things about it like how interesting all the behind the scenes stuff is.

As mentioned above, I'd like to pick up PS4's Spyro Reignited. The original Spryo is what got me back into consoles in the 90s, and I periodically replay the trilogy to this day. Most recently I played rips of my original discs rendered at nearly 4K on my Mac mini using Duckstation - it's amazing how much detail was hidden away in a PS1 game:

IMG_1498D.jpg.7c4997fc877cc92b71e50f7eec

I've not kept up with the PS4 or PS5, so will have to do some research on the games out for them.

I also need to read up on PlayStation Plus. Looks like a bunch of older games are included with the Extra and Premium levels. Looks like the PS1 games might be rendering at 4K like Spyro does on my Mac mini:

fair warning: The bosses in the new spyro are harder for some reason

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:05 PM, Frozone212 said:

fair warning: The bosses in the new spyro are harder for some reason

I've not noticed that for the 1st Spyro. I'm at 96%, just Gnasty Gnorc and Gnasty's Loot worlds left to finish:

image.thumb.jpeg.cc78820eb3b7bb6d1fc64b3ef785fb3e.jpeg

I've achieved all the skill points so far, including the 3 Perfect skill points earned by defeating the world bosses without Spryo taking any damage during the boss battle:

image.thumb.jpeg.c09c1a420ce0dbfc8795f35b93f08cec.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.870b167084c4bce8ce2c3bbf01372831.jpeg

The control changes took a little bit to get used to, though I suspect it'll be nice to have the same control mapping across games.

Ran into a number of glitches, such as here where the enemy are invisible until you get close enough for them to hit you: 

The ability to record videos and take screenshots on the PS5 is slick, though I do need to figure out if there's a proper way to eject the USB stick after copying the media to it. For these I just shut down the PS5 after copying the above media from it.

I found a number of Gems difficult to find due to the foliage. Eventually I noticed the new Gem Pointer feature, which was not originally in Spyro 1 or 2. Back in then it was an unlockable earned in Year of the Dragon by finishing a Sparx level, now it's available immediately in Spryo 1 with no need to unlock it (presumably in 2 and 3 as well).

Spider Town is the second Sparx Realm in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and in the Reignited Trilogy remaster of the third game. It can be accessed in the Midday Gardens homeworld after defeating Spike and completing Crawdad Farm. After this level's completed, it unlocks the ability of Sparx locate gems.

Despite that, overall I've found the game to be a bit easier than the PS1 version.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, Frozone212 said:

i've become so used to the R2 and L2 triggers as attack and block that the x,y square and circle buttons are redundant outside of context sensitive situations

I was wondering about that when I noticed R2 was also mapped to Spyro's flame attack.  Originally I thought it was something new due to the PS5's adaptive triggers, but then remembered Spyro Reignited was a PS4 game so figured this convention must have started on the PS4.

Finished Spryo 1 last night with 120% and all skill points. Defeating Gnasty Gnorc didn't seem any harder that before.

Been checking out some of the Playstation Plus included games and got sucked into Stray.

Also noticed the PS5 supports CEC, so I can control it using my TV's remote. Nice feature for using the PS5 for media streaming; though when I tried that I noticed the PS5 only supports HDR10, so I decided to continue using the TV's built in support because it also supports HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

We just got our packets for the 2022 homebrew awards nominations, so I'll be busy checking out a bunch of 2600 games thru the end of the month - WIP section alone has over 100 games 😱. I have to turn in my nominations by the end of January, so won't have much time for the PS5 until February.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nominations are all done.

Made it to the end of Stray.  Fun game, interesting story, will revisit it at some point and attempt to finish it with 100%.

Finished Spryo Reignited. While it was fun seeing Spryo reimagined, I encountered a number of glitches and the overall gameplay seemed easier than the originals; so I suspect I'll go back to my PS1 rips emulated at ~4K resolution when I replay the trilogy again in 2-3 years.

I put the disc for Ratchet & Clank back in the PS5 and will start on it next. I bought the disc version for the PS5 thinking I'd be buying games on disc like R&C, but not having to change the disc when switching to games like Stray is pretty nice.

I launched Ragnarök - visually impressive, though I'm not at all familiar with the series.  Looks like most of the prior games in the series are part of my Playstation Plus subscription, so I'm wondering if it would make more sense to start with the 2018 God of War, or maybe even go back to the 2005 original and play the series in order before playing Ragnarök.

IMG_3271.thumb.jpeg.3424881baf35bf1530631089e6760b98.jpeg

On 1/31/2023 at 11:31 AM, SpiceWare said:

I put the disc for Ratchet & Clank back in the PS5 and will start on it next.

Forgot about the Ratchet & Clank re-imagining from 2016 for the PS4 . I see it has updates for the PS5 and is part of my Playstation Plus subscription so have installed it.

From this comparison video the PS5 update is basically the PS4 Pro version with the addition of 60 FPS:

- The PS5 version continues to run in backward compatibility mode, only the framerate has been unlocked to give the game 60FPS.
- The framerate seems to stay completely stable even in times of increased stress.
- As for the rest of the settings, we get a version identical to the PS4 Pro.
- Loading times are shorter thanks to the SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Ratchet & Clank 2016, and played thru it again in Challenge Mode.  Fun stuff!  I did notice that the hoverboard races were much easier than when I played the original on the PS2 - I remember being really annoyed with those back in the day.

Have finally started in on Rift Apart.  I found the beginning annoying when it was constantly switching between gameplay and cinematic sequences. I think it would have been helpful if they'd letterboxed those sequences so you'd know you were not currently in control.

I installed the new Playstation Plus games for February and am now down to 116 GB free so have ordered a 4 TB Kingston Fury Renegade. ETA is Sunday, so I'll review Sony's installation instructions tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I installed the new Playstation Plus games for February and am now down to 116 GB free so have ordered a 4 TB Kingston Fury Renegade. ETA is Sunday, so I'll review Sony's installation instructions tomorrow.

4TB....now thats a spicy meatball. Id be interested to hear what the PS5 benchmarks the speed at.

• Like 1

My ETA this morning was 11:30 - 1:30.

I checked the tracking page periodically and when it showed the Amazon truck was in my neighborhood I prepped my PS5 for the M.2.

IMG_3278.thumb.jpeg.8aeb28f5d1ac4103dea6afe25adabc13.jpeg

About noon the driver pulled up in front of my house, then left a few minutes later without dropping off the package.

I still have an ETA of 1:30, so at least Amazon knows it wasn't delivered.

As of 1:30 it now shows Still arriving today by 9 PM

After 9 it changed to Still arriving today, which went away sometime after 11.  This morning the ETA now shows the 13th thru 16th, along with a "sorry it's late" message that says I can request a refund if I don't have it by the 17th.

Oh well, at least I made productive use of the time - didn't think I'd have that done until next weekend.

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

After 9 it changed to Still arriving today, which went away sometime after 11.  This morning the ETA now shows the 13th thru 16th, along with a "sorry it's late" message that says I can request a refund if I don't have it by the 17th.

I've had this happen a few times.   It's on it's way, on it's way,  and suddenly, there's a problem and you can request a refund.

Like what? did the truck get hijacked or something?  :P

I think this is the first time I've encountered this.  Still shows 13-16th.

Think Amazon could handle this better by just automatically shipping a replacement and flagging the initial box so that when it gets scanned an alert sound is made and a return to inventory message is shown.

Oh well, put my PS5 back together last night and will do the refund/reorder on Friday.

Refund has been requested, new order in with an ETA of Sunday. This time I'll wait to have it in hand before disconnecting my PS5 from the TV.

I'm just about finished with my first play through of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.  Everybody's at Zurkies after the prison breakout, and I'm leveling up the last of my weapons before committing to the final battle.

Out for deliver, ETA 2:45 - 5:45.

Finished Ratchet & Clank, and started thru on Challenge Mode. Have noticed something odd though - Ratchet's dialog is sometimes missing during cut scenes. Can hear other characters in the scene just fine.

I found thiswhich might explain what's going on:

As well, any equipped Helmet will automatically disappear at the start of cutscenes and then re-appear at the end. Any Helmet that covers the mouth will have a slight filter on their dialogue when they’re present.

I had the pirate helmet on so removed it, but still no audio for Ratchet during the next cutscene.

Arrived a couple hours ago.  Installation was super easy.

PS5 reported the read speed of the 4TB Kingston Fury Renegade as 6492 MB/s.  Was curious to see what the internal SSD's performance would be reported as, but didn't see a way to test that.

I moved over Ratchet and Clank and played for a while, didn't see any issues.

Ratchet's speech was back during the cut scenes, yet I didn't try anything else so power cycling the PS5 probably took care of it.

IMG_3287.thumb.jpeg.9fb5cff442743080366361008035f500.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's no way to get rid of the "other" storage without a reformat, right? Somehow I have 85.98GB of this. I wonder where it comes from. I had a lot of "other" storage on my 64GB Vita memory card shortly before it died and there was no way to get rid of that, but in that case that was the memory card itself going bad.

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

There's no way to get rid of the "other" storage without a reformat, right? Somehow I have 85.98GB of this. I wonder where it comes from. I had a lot of "other" storage on my 64GB Vita memory card shortly before it died and there was no way to get rid of that, but in that case that was the memory card itself going bad.

You might be able to lower it significantly by putting the system into rest mode and then unplugging the power for a few minutes. Plug it back and go through the prompts. I haven't done this yet but it works for some people.

1 hour ago, Punisher5.0 said:

You might be able to lower it significantly by putting the system into rest mode and then unplugging the power for a few minutes. Plug it back and go through the prompts. I haven't done this yet but it works for some people.

That sounds... interesting. I tried rebuilding the database a while after my last post to see if it did anything, but it didn't have any effect.

Edit: tried it, but it didn't do anything.

Edited by Steven Pendleton