IGNORED

TI Mini Expansion System

Artoj

11 hours ago, dhe said:

Do you know how close this is to the Mechatronics EPROM programmer?

Hi Dan, 

I never had the Mechatronics schematics when I started the project, I went from a old water battered paper article in a TISHUG article by Ron, also I had built the same one in 1986, which I still have to find all the bits. I just downloaded the Mechatronic PDF and it looks almost the same, I have to go through it carefully. It looks like the software might be the same? Thanks for your help, Regards Arto.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a difference between the two. Ron developed his to program an EPROM for his generator in Grawin when he was on the Opal fields. His Honda generator would shut down before the oil pressure got up to the proper pressure so he needed something to program the EPROM. The result was the Hunter Valley 99'er Eprommer ( I still have mine that I got from Ron on my first trip to Oz). His later mod was to create a power supply to toggle from 12.5V to 21/25V. I still have my EPROMMER, power supply, and software that I got from him. The Mechatronic was originally a 25/21V EPROMmer until it was modified to accept 12.5V.

I have mine (actually several of them and the software for it as well).

The difference is that the Mechatronic selects the chips via software whereas the Hunter Valley Eprommer uses a seies of 14-pin wired component carriers - one for each type of chip. I have a complete set of those as well. It is much more versatile than the Mechatronics which is limited to about 4 EPROM types. I had a long correspondence with Ron, Tony McGovern and other members of the Hunter Valley UG that spanned many years and resulted in visits back and forth.

Oh yes, the complete schematics for the Hunter Valley Eprommer were published in their newletter. 

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

I have mine (actually several of them and the software for it as well).

Thanks atrax27407, 

It great to know someone who was around back then, I wrote many articles for TISHUG. I had also built Ron's version back in the late 80's and it worked fine, my version is just a refined version of Ron's which includes the dip switches as well as the plug. This was done for future versions when I add the 32 pin Zif with added options. I have also made it a single board that you can plug in your cart of choice(XB,MM,EA) it all fits in a longer cartridge with only a 3 wire input for the transformer. I am just about ready to get some prototype boards made to test. I had the software but it is now lost to water damage, it would be great to test the boards as soon as I have them made. Regards Arto

EPcartv1.JPG

TPEpV3-3d.png

EpromArticle1a.pdf

TI99EprommerV3PCBpic3a.png

TIEprommerv3Schem3a.png

Edited by Artoj
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Do you need Ron's software?

Sure do :) 

I was about to ask directly, I guess you can read my intentions pretty easily :) 

3 hours ago, dhe said:

where you involved in creating the AT Disk Controller?

Sure was :) 

I used one for for a few years, 2 years ago Peter sent me his one and all the layouts and masks, this is what started my building frenzy. I was a TI99 hardware tester/solderer/assembly at the time and helped him with the Forti clone and the Midi project, so many great memories of the TI community, everyone helping each other. The TI group in Atari Age has the same spirit and I am very honoured to be here with all you great people. Regards Arto. 

MiniPECards1a.png

• Like 7

Amazing stuff!

I always remember reading the TiShug newsletters with admiration!

Can't get hardware or software from the US? We'll mate, we'll just build our own! 😃 

I was always spell bound reading Geoff Trott's articles, the McGovern's articles also.

Any chance of you building a run of PBOX disk controllers? It's been a long time since any have been built, and paired up with a Gotek they are very nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhe said:

Any chance of you building a run of PBOX disk controllers

I did recreate Peters Multifunction Pbox card, which had a disk controller as well, I could try and make a bare-bones version, let me ponder for awhile, I like the idea, as I could even use one.

2 hours ago, dhe said:

I was always spell bound reading Geoff Trott's articles, the McGovern's articles also.

I met Tony McGovern a few times and Geoff did not live far, he was a blast, we were looking at using RTTY(weather) for a TI cartridge, he had already built it and used it on the TI, a MIDI keyboard was next. Regards Arto. 

• Like 4

Hi All,

Here is my first look at making a PEBbox DSDD Disk controller, based on Peter Schubert's MiniPEB, same as the one I used 35 years ago. I have made a copy of the 27128 EPROM (looking for it now) and what I remember you also had a bunch of extra CALLs you can use with it. I am still working on the docs for it and it's operation. A good Disassembly of the DSR would clear up much about it's complete operation,  anyone interested? I have yet to pack and send out a few boards, sorry about the delay, I am caught up cleaning my backyard at home, the sewerage block had made a mess and it's been raining almost continuously for about a week. Regards Arto. 

MPEBDiskContV3pic1a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Hi All,

Just a last minute update, V4.1 has been cleaned of 99% errors, I have yet to finalise the board as Peter made it only for 3 drives and it can be used for 4. I am adding the extra few bits for 4, as the software DSR Disassembly is the next phase, this should clear up any other errors as well. Regards Arto

MPEB-TI99-FloppyDiskCont-V4-1-pic1a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

These FD controllers are complex, the TI CRU bit control makes it so much easier, it's been a deep dive to understand their workings, I am writing on what I figure is the CRU, Memory Map and FDC use currently, I hope to get this unit working soon, I need to disassemble the DSR soon. The SamsIDE V1.2 had a couple of crossed signals, it makes 5 boards now only usable with a patch, Version 2 has been sorted. I am not too worried, the patch is just connecting 4 wires and making 4 track cuts, I will keep these boards. I will be ordering V2 very soon, I guess this is why they are called prototypes.

It looks like Peters System is very similar to the Corcomp side-car 9900 DSDD, minus the PALS, where Peter used standard Logic chips instead, any one have any info on the CC DSDD controller? Regards Arto. 

MPEBSamsIdeV1-2x-fixPic1a.png

Edited by Artoj
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Artoj said:

Hi All,

These FD controllers are complex, the TI CRU bit control makes it so much easier, it's been a deep dive to understand their workings, I am writing the what I figure is the CRU, Memory Map and FDC use currently, I hope to get this unit working soon, I need to disassemble the DSR soon. The SamsIDE V1.2 had a couple of crossed signals, it makes 5 boards now only usable with a patch, Version 2 has been sorted. I am not too worried, the patch is just connecting 4 wires and making 4 track cuts, I will keep these boards. I will be ordering V2 very soon, I guess this is why they are called prototypes.

It looks like Peters System is very similar to the Corcomp side-car 9900 DSDD, minus the PALS, where Peter used standard Logic chips instead, any one have any info on the CC DSDD controller? Regards Arto. 

MPEBSamsIdeV1-2x-fixPic1a.png

There is plenty of info here on Atariage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RickyDean said:

There is plenty of info here on Atariage.

Thanks Ricky :) I can do some extra homework now, LOL, which is the FUN part that keeps me motivated, regards Arto.

Hi All,

I have found 2 EPROM DSR files I copied from the original MiniPEB, one is the RS232/PIO (8k) and the other is the FDC (16k), here are the files for those who can use them, I need to disassemble them. I only have a few sheets of the original assembly files for them left, they are water damaged and undated, so I have no idea at what stage they were when I stored them, most likely they were preliminary sheets Peter game me to work from. The originals were on floppies that have long since perished. Regards Arto.

AM2764A@DIP28-RS232.BIN TMS27C128@DIP28-FD1.BIN

• Like 2

Hi All,

As I am close to sorting out the MPEB FDC, I decided to add a set of four 7seg Leds to show the HEX values on the TMS9901 Pbus (P0-P15), all was going great until I found the TIL311 LED chips are defunct and the ones in the wild are expensive to buy. I decided to use a BIN to HEX chip instead, o'boy!, same situation, so I looked around for simple solutions, what I found was overly complex, so time to go back to basics using 74 series logic chips for a solution. 

My first attempt on a single 7seg was fine , but a little large, my second attempt uses SMD, which I avoid like the plague as I need magnifying glasses and a steady steel hand to put these mini babies together, still it came out ok. I am going to just add it to P the buss lines as a set of 4, which can be plugged in or out without fuss. To me this is just a trouble shooting measure, but I think it would also inform programmers on what is happening on the TMS9901 P bus CRU lines. 

Here are my pics, the 4 set is in the works, regards Arto. 

HEXdisplay2-1a.png

HEXdisplay4-1a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi All,

The led board was made for Anode Common, but wired for Cathode common, my bad, so I have redesigned for common cathode as I have plenty on hand, I just needed to add one more chip for each display and redo the logic to suite. I have tested it on logic simulation, all good. Regards Arto.   

• Like 2