IGNORED

Ever buy a game console, just to play a certain game?

Corby

PS4 for Metal Gear Solid V. Then 2 weeks later they announced the PC version and I was not very happy that I wasted my money on the PS4.

Also 3DS just for Tales of the Abyss, a game I'd already played like 6 times. That turned out okay, though it's too bad that the performance and the audio are significantly worse than the PS2 version.

I forgot Switch just for Shin Megami Tensei V. That ended up being a pretty disappointing game in most ways, sadly.

Also forgot SFC just for Super Metroid. That was definitely worth it!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Not really, I usually like to know what's there now or in the coming months at least to care.  The closest by default would honestly be N64, if you discount the Dream Team stuff and the potential stuff for 1996, it basically was a Super Mario 64 play machine, pilotwings in a foggy distant second for some days/weeks after for most.

• Like 1

I would definitely say the N64, specifically for Super Mario 64. Although, there really wasn’t more than 3 games available for the first several months. Although even then, I cannot remember buying any game until Diddy Kong Racing was released.

Before that, a used SNES specifically for Link to the Past and Super Mario World.

• Like 2

While I eventually acquired both, I choose the PS3 over the Xbox 360 to play the Silent Hill games that would release on it (although with Konami it was rather random what would release where).

Same thing from the previous generation, I chose the PS2 to play GTA 3 and Silent Hill 2.

In both case tho I ended up acquiring dozens of games for the platforms; I haven't bough a console so far to play only one or a few games.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

I guess I did in spirit.   I asked for and got the ColecoVision for Christmas the first year it was out and I was in 6th Grade(that would have been 82 at Christmas time).    I asked for it specifically because I wanted to play Venture.  Yes, I know it is a pretty weak game, but my brother and I loved it in the arcade.  Hell, not even the arcade, I don't think I ever saw it in a proper arcade or even pool hall slowly turning arcade. It was always in something like a convenience store. Or grocery store foyer.  The really funny part is the ONE place we played it the most and it was there for at least a year I think was one of those big Venture discount stores near my grandma's house in Mission, KS.  For fellow Americans on here, you may remember those stores.  They always just had a plain black and white diagonally striped sign.  The name of the store had nothing to do with the fact that they had a Venture game.  We'd walk miles ever Christmas break when we'd spend part of it at our grandmother's house to play that game almost every day.  It was utterly simplistic, but one of if not THE first video game that we saw that was a like "Whoa!  A dungeons and dragons type game!!!"  

So yeah...I wanted the ColecoVision so badly just to play this game mostly. Also it had a Donkey Kong where the god damn screen was oriented correctly like the real game, not that 2600 abomination! Ended up with quite a few cool titles.  

Ventures is where we would go before there was ever a Walmart! | Ford city,  Calumet city, Peoria illinois

• Like 6