IGNORED

Ever buy a game console, just to play a certain game?

Corby

There certain games that were system sellers to me, where they enticed me to buy the system before I knew of other games for the system that I wanted.

Bought PS1 primarily just to play Battle Arena Toshinden

Bought Dreamcast primarily just to play Jet Grind Radio

Bought Gamecube primarily just to play Super Monkey Ball

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

But Halo 1 was on the PC.  You didn't really have to buy it to play it did you?

They intentionally nerfed the Windows version for I believe nearly 2 years after release and then fixed it up.  The PC version had bad fps, bugs, inconsistent speeds, a laundry list of problems that miraculously the so much more amazing xbox could do that the PC (hah) could not.  I have had the PC version off and on over the years only getting it after the patch conveniently came out after/around when Halo 2 dropped when they didn't care anymore.  With the fixes it's the best release of the thing over the console one, but before that point the PC version was a dumpster fire.

Yeah it was pretty well known at the time that the PC version of Halo was worse than the Xbox version in pretty much every way. I don't think I ever actually played the Xbox version; I have only played the original Xbox a single time, and it was Halo 2. Never liked that they put the crosshair at the bottom of the screen starting with that one.

• Like 1

I only ever touched Halo originally at Midway because they'd link up the systems and play that crap on breaks, so I took a little time with it, ended up disliking the multiplayer vs what PC had, and campaign I barely scratched.  I found the PC version about when Halo 2 came out or just before second hand and gave it a shot.  I liked the campaign enough but it ran like crap so I got rid of it, to then find it again (I've probably owned it 4+ times over 20 years on PC) in a dollar bin and figured another try.  By then I either googled it or knew of the intentional sabotage so I went looking for and found a patch for smooth 60fps and the other issues cleaned up, found a lot of online snark, and then the patch MS squeaked out like some saviors and of course it made the game better than the console one after it didn't matter anymore.  That is when I finished the game.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

They intentionally nerfed the Windows version for I believe nearly 2 years after release and then fixed it up.  The PC version had bad fps, bugs, inconsistent speeds, a laundry list of problems that miraculously the so much more amazing xbox could do that the PC (hah) could not.  I have had the PC version off and on over the years only getting it after the patch conveniently came out after/around when Halo 2 dropped when they didn't care anymore.  With the fixes it's the best release of the thing over the console one, but before that point the PC version was a dumpster fire.

Hmm..I never knew that.  We placed the PC version for a long time and we really never noticed anything wrong with it.  I just always thought the 2 stick console thing for FPS was ludicrous.  

2 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Hmm..I never knew that.  We placed the PC version for a long time and we really never noticed anything wrong with it.  I just always thought the 2 stick console thing for FPS was ludicrous.  

Yeah that was one of the forced stupid things, it was a sloppy unoptimized console code port.  One of the intentionally held back "fixes" was mouse+keyboard play which makes them game so much nicer to handle.

Not quite "one game", and not **quite** "buy", but I'd say my story fits.

My youngest adult Daughter got a PS4 brand new kinda recently, at a closeout type store-was gonna give it to her boyfriend, but he already had one.

Well, I mostly play for high scores, and mostly timed/racing games anymore, and I LOVE Formula One anything, am really good at the older games, Monaco and such, as good as anyone, really.

So, I got the PS4, got me a sim wheel, Logitech, entry level, and a couple racing games, F-1 2022 mostly, and was gonna bust some asses on the leaderboards.

Not so much.

Boy, I sucked, haha, two, three seconds off the leaderboards(actually, that's pretty good...I wasn't going for "pretty good"...).

After a while, I just boxed it back up, slipped back to 1989, where I'm more comfortable.

I suspect I'll pull it back out again in 2030 or so, when it's "old".

:P

Edited by Rogerpoco
spelling errorz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Atari 2600 - Adventure
NES - Super Mario Brothers
Genesis - Phantasy Star II
SNES - Final Fantasy II
Neo Geo - Magician Lord
PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
Xbox - Phantasy Star Online (in offline mode)
Xbox 360 - Oblivion

Holy shit dude. That's old school...getting the 2600 just for Adventure. I mean that game was pretty mind blowing to my 9 year old D&D loving self.   I never had the 2600, hence I never had the chance to get that game.  But a quality game. 

• Like 2

You know now that I think of it, I completely forgot I had another console that I got just for 1 game.  And that was the Playstation 1/NHL 98.  Keep in mind, I was working at Square USA on the Final Fantasy film in the late 90's/early 2000's in Honolulu, HI at the same time they were developing FF8 a couple floors below us.  So I constantly had free/cheap access to all sorts of stuff I didn't really want.  For instance I got several copies of FF8 at various company parties/events and I hated those FF games with a passion. Thought they were boring as hell...but I'm not turning down free gaming swag, so I just went to a local game store and sold them for essentially retail early on in the release and made some decent money.  So, I was and am a huge hockey fan and I was sort of drooling over the newer PC based and console based NHL games. I used to play NHL 93/94 on Genesis that a buddy of mine on my sub had in his dorm room a floor below me.   So I never really wanted the Playstation, but I wanted to play NHL 98 in the worst way. My pc was a dog at that point(I was working part time/interning at SquareUSA and attending college full time at the University of Hawaii after my Navy term was up) and I didn't have the cash to spend on a new gaming setup.  BUT, I did have access to a PlayStation 1 at next to nothing because of work, so I did that and the ONLY game I ever bought for it was NHL 98.  I did end up renting a few games(remember that at Blockbuster, etc?) like Silent Hill, another horrible game called Cyberia(get it..it's like Siberia..but like everything else in those late 90's years....everything had to be CYBER this and cyber that).  But the only game I ever purchased and owned for it was NHL 98 and I think I paid more for the game than I did for the PS1. I shelved that thing in about 2001 or so, and finally just gave it to a friends nephew or something.    

Even though I was square in the PS camp , so to speak, I was always more impressed with XBOX.  

Edited by Max_Chatsworth
  • Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 1:19 PM, GoldLeader said:

Yeah,  I just don't want to use the PC to play games.  I only like games hooked to a TV, or in an arcade cabinet...(I know, I know...I'm weird).

I recently bought a KinHank emulation box for my living room, and it's awesome.  100,000 game across a dozen+ systems (including Neo Geo & NG pocket/color). Not everything works perfectly, but 95% does and it's pretty much plug and play.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I recently bought a KinHank emulation box for my living room, and it's awesome.  100,000 game across a dozen+ systems (including Neo Geo & NG pocket/color). Not everything works perfectly, but 95% does and it's pretty much plug and play.

Not gonna lie  "KinHank emulation box" sounds like something completely different...

• Haha 2

Many times in my life I have bought systems just to play certain games on it:

1980-Space Invaders Atari 2600

1982-Donkey Kong-Colecovision

1987-Mike Tysons Punch Out-NES

1992-Street Fighter-SNES

1998-Resident Evil-PS

1998-Flight Simulator 98-New PC

2011-Fight Night-XBox 360

2021-Flight Simulator-Xbox Series S

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flyindrew said:

Many times in my life I have bought systems just to play certain games on it:

1980-Space Invaders Atari 2600

1982-Donkey Kong-Colecovision

1987-Mike Tysons Punch Out-NES

1992-Street Fighter-SNES

1998-Resident Evil-PS

1998-Flight Simulator 98-New PC

2011-Fight Night-XBox 360

2021-Flight Simulator-Xbox Series S

If you don't mind me asking, even back as far as the 2600, were you old enough to buy it yourself or did your parents buy any for you?  I replied earlier that I got the ColecoVision specifically for Venture, but it was really my parents who bought it for me.  

• Like 1

Yeah actually I guess that counts for me as well.. I forgot we bought a VCS specifically for Space Invaders! :lol: 

Back in 1980 when I was 11 and my family travelled to the states on vacation, while we had a Coleco Telstar pong game for the TV, I really had no idea about "Atari" or the VCS, or even that there was a Space Invaders for it. Back then you could only speculate what kind of new stuff would be for sale out there in the world. I simply was looking for "SPACE INVADERS" whether it was to play it in the arcades (which is ridiculous since we had arcades back home), or an electronic toy version of it of some kind..anything. Anyway, I thought if there was a place I could find a Space Invaders to buy, it would be in the stores in the states! My clueless mom and clueless me went around asking stores if they sold Space Invaders for a couple days until we ended up at Sears in their TV/electronics department and asked if they had it, and lo and behold they had a tv with a VCS playing "Space Invaders"!  There were a bunch of kids playing it, but the salesman asked them to step aside for a while and let this potential buyer mom let her kid try it out. 

It looked nothing like the arcade game I knew.. it was totally different. But hey it said "Space Invaders" and the basic idea was there and that was probably the best it was going to get, so I was sold. My family bought me the Sears version of the VCS and took it to the hotel. I read the manual every day until we finally flew home and anyway, that's exactly why I ended up with that Sears heavy sixer console and the beginning of my 2600 gaming. 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Yeah actually I guess that counts for me as well.. I forgot we bought a VCS specifically for Space Invaders! :lol: 

Back in 1980 when I was 11 and my family travelled to the states on vacation, while we had a Coleco Telstar pong game for the TV, I really had no idea about "Atari" or the VCS, or even that there was a Space Invaders for it. Back then you could only speculate what kind of new stuff would be for sale out there in the world. I simply was looking for "SPACE INVADERS" whether it was to play it in the arcades (which is ridiculous since we had arcades back home), or an electronic toy version of it of some kind..anything. Anyway, I thought if there was a place I could find a Space Invaders to buy, it would be in the stores in the states! My clueless mom and clueless me went around asking stores if they sold Space Invaders for a couple days until we ended up at Sears in their TV/electronics department and asked if they had it, and lo and behold they had a tv with a VCS playing "Space Invaders"!  There were a bunch of kids playing it, but the salesman asked them to step aside for a while and let this potential buyer mom let her kid try it out. 

It looked nothing like the arcade game I knew.. it was totally different. But hey it said "Space Invaders" and the basic idea was there and that was probably the best it was going to get, so I was sold. My family bought me the Sears version of the VCS and took it to the hotel. I read the manual every day until we finally flew home and anyway, that's exactly why I ended up with that Sears heavy sixer console and the beginning of my 2600 gaming. 

Are you Canadian?