IGNORED

There's something about slime world.

xhul

Welcome lynx lovers, happy 2023 in advance =]

I've noticed something interesting during the intro screen.

The other day, i was listening to the intro track, and wanted to see how long it lasts, by trying to spot the end of the loop.

The thing is, i was unable to.

Indeed, though it's subtle, the different segments of the track seem to always be different, somehow.

My current theory is that the track is (partially) randomly generated (at least some of the notes, not sure about the rythm).

Assuming i'm right, that's actually crazy, when you think about it.

I mean, that doesn't sound too hard to do, but the idea to do that is just nuts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I remember reading an interview with Peter Engelbrite (the coder of the game) over at Atari Times almost 20 years ago now. There he says:

People have commented that the music in Slime World is weak.What people don't know is that the music is being composed on the fly by the program.I didn't have room in the cart for the company music engine and data, so I wrote a system that used presets to compose based on a system of harmony, permutations, and rhythm.

Link to the interview: http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=295

I didn't like the music in it too much back in the day, but It must've etched itself into my brain over the years, because nowadays I like it. I feel the intro music is better than the in game music.

Anyway there sure is something about Slime World! For me it's the number one Lynx game / best game originating on the Lynx. I quote myself here.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

There's a lot of variation trying all the different game modes, and in my opinion it has perhaps the most fun use of the Lynx hardware sprite scaling: the pulsating slime levels and creatures are amazing, the stretching clouds, the stretching and moving slime-'water falls' etc. Very unique looking game thanks to this, one of a kind really, still today. They also managed to make the whole world pulsate just enough, because this kind of thing could easily be very distracting. I can't even play the Megadrive version because the static world isn't able to imerse me in comparison to the living and moving Lynx version of the slime world. Slime World would have to be my favourite Lynx game because it's so uniquely Lynx and the gameplay is really great too, you can really get immersed in that world! Ten out of ten game :) I'd like to quote 'Jugganawt' from his Lynx top 25 video, Slime World on the Lynx is "a life sucking experience" :grin:

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

2 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

People have commented that the music in Slime World is weak.What people don't know is that the music is being composed on the fly by the program.I didn't have room in the cart for the company music engine and data, so I wrote a system that used presets to compose based on a system of harmony, permutations, and rhythm.

Damn, so i'm not crazy after all!

Thanks a lot for the research.

The concept of randomly generated music is pretty dope.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that less than 50 games do that in the entire video game history, music games excluded of course.

Slime World is one of my favs as well, top 10 for sure.

• Like 1