IGNORED

New Atari 2600 coarse blade

Magovinna

2 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Nicely done!  Any tips?  I assume you're supposed to duck under the birds and jump the snakes but the clearance on both is pretty tight for the sprites (especially the jump).

Just make sure you duck well before the birds get to you. Jumping the snakes is extremely tight so you have to plan it perfectly! I think I hit about 1 out of 3 snakes no matter what I do.

- James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Just make sure you duck well before the birds get to you. Jumping the snakes is extremely tight so you have to plan it perfectly! I think I hit about 1 out of 3 snakes no matter what I do.

- James

The Snake won't bite as long as you are in the air.

The player will fatigue and lose a little bit of life as time passes. Therefore it's a good idea to keep moving forward.

After each end-of-level boss fight, you'll regain your hearts and restore full power.

It's probably easier to play this game with a joystick than with a keyboard 🙂

Todo list:

The game is 8k at the moment. I'm Contemplating expanding to 16k and adding some more Castlevania-like levels if I can figure out how to do it.

I want to add a bigger End of level Boss at the last level.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, grayescu said:

Is there a .bin file for this game? I would love to play it with a joystick.

Joystick works for me on his Itch io page.  Maybe you need to change web browsers.  I usually use Firefox.

If you want more authenticity there's always these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Trooper-Premium-Controller-Mac-Desktop/dp/B09B349TDZ

4 hours ago, Magovinna said:

Have made some progress during the weekend and the game will now be 16kb. Here is a picture of the end boss (Wolf man) from the forest level outside the castle. And one from inside the castle.

wolfBoss.png

Looks great!  I love the use of colors and sprite work.  Is doubling the width of the taller enemy sprite on the top pic make it look more impossing and visually impressive as a boss practical?  Obviously I don't have the code so this is just a crude MSPaint cut and paste.

doubled.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

Looks great!  I love the use of colors and sprite work.  Is doubling the width of the taller enemy sprite on the top pic make it look more impossing and visually impressive as a boss practical?  Obviously I don't have the code so this is just a crude MSPaint cut and paste.

doubled.jpg

Great idea. Tested it, but not sure which one looks best?

compareWolf.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for the update!  I was just thinking about your game a few weeks ago as I was making sprites for a game idea I have clanking around my non-programmer head (a side scrolling samurai game).   How are you programming this?  In assembly?  In Batari Basic?  If Batari, which kernel are you using?   I'm always curious as to how folks achieve the results on display as someone who doesn't have the skill (yet?).  Also, do you intend to later on animate the enemies like the skeleton and devil?  If so, how many animation frames for an enemy sprite do you recommend and how limited in ROM space are you in that regard?

On 11/20/2023 at 5:43 AM, LatchKeyKid said:

Thanks for the update!  I was just thinking about your game a few weeks ago as I was making sprites for a game idea I have clanking around my non-programmer head (a side scrolling samurai game).   How are you programming this?  In assembly?  In Batari Basic?  If Batari, which kernel are you using?   I'm always curious as to how folks achieve the results on display as someone who doesn't have the skill (yet?).  Also, do you intend to later on animate the enemies like the skeleton and devil?  If so, how many animation frames for an enemy sprite do you recommend and how limited in ROM space are you in that regard?

I'm using the dasm-assembler with a text editor. I have created animation frames for the enemies and might add them if there is enough memory. Also, Because of memory restrictions I'm only doing two animation frames for the enemies.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have done a lot of changes to the game. Here is a screenshot of the progress so far. The game now consist of 3 castles you have to approach and conquer to win the game. The small yellow guy indicates your distance to each castle. The life indicator is now Three swords.

image.thumb.png.f7d810ba44c389df272e29c767c21c99.png

• Like 5

Looks great!  Out of curiosity, why are the tombstones underneath the characters instead of the same level or overlapping?  Artisically I can see it trying to add layered depth to the scene but I don't think it's accomplishing that with the third level underneath being detailed UI as it seems to blend into that just as much as with the action above.  Is it also because of CPU cycle limitations?  I know in the original demo you published there was alot of action going on so figured I'd ask.  Also, I like how you handled the transition from night sky to the play level visually and might even recommend continuing that even lower with darker colors blending towards the black assuming you can as it's a cool effect.

• Like 1