IGNORED

retrogameboyz prototype Intellivision arcade stick style controller

timdu

Besides 3 independent/separate action buttons, from what I read, the BG Retro Mods controller is totally passive.. No batteries/external power source required. 😎 That's a huge plus.

I'm curious to see how the directional controls will work out, but it should be fine since it appears to have an 8-way arcade joystick, which isn't any different than any other homebrew Inty controller made thus far (sans the Côté Gamers controller w/16 directions). Retro-Game-Boyz controller is also 8-way, as shown in his videos. Same with Grips controllers.. I've never had any problems using an 8-way controls on the Intellivision, at least on the games I usually play.

Overall, BG Retro Mods seems like the best option so far, for what's currently available. TBH though, the only thing I'm not crazy about is the bulky keypad buttons, but that's the least of my worries with everything else it has going for it vs the other one. 👍

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD

A standard 8-way joystick, without any extra logic, will work correctly with many cartridges, some others will have diagonals at the wrong angle, others will lose diagonals completely.  All cartridges programmed for 16 directions will have diagonals at the wrong angle.  Some cartridges programmed for eight directions will work correctly, e.g. AD&D, Snafu.  Some cartridges programmed for eight directions will have diagonals dropped completely, e.g. Worm Whomper.  That's what the power is for, to drive the logic to correct diagonals in these cases.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...