IGNORED

Unidentified HDD Atari ST AHS-105L Quantum

SviRu

The SCSI controller can take 7 drives, the capacity of each drive is limited by TOS as is the number of partitions.

It's an AdSCSI Plus ST made by ICD so will work well with ICD Pro Drivers, here's a link to the manual.

https://archive.org/details/ICD_AdSCSI_ST_Series_Owners_Manual_ST_Plus_ST_Micro_ST_SCSI_Host_Adaptors_1990

and here's the drivers:-

The floppy is set to autoboot the drivers, so if your drive isn't formatted/set to boot, the floppy will install

the drivers and tell you what it finds.

To help identify what you have we need more (better quality) photo's, maybe the outer case too.

It may be it's one that someone made themselves, I certainly did and still have an ICD controller in a custom case and PSU

ICDPro.st

Edited by TGB1718

On 12/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, TGB1718 said:

The SCSI controller can take 7 drives, the capacity of each drive is limited by TOS as is the number of partitions.

It's an AdSCSI Plus ST made by ICD so will work well with ICD Pro Drivers, here's a link to the manual.

https://archive.org/details/ICD_AdSCSI_ST_Series_Owners_Manual_ST_Plus_ST_Micro_ST_SCSI_Host_Adaptors_1990

and here's the drivers:-

The floppy is set to autoboot the drivers, so if your drive isn't formatted/set to boot, the floppy will install

the drivers and tell you what it finds.

To help identify what you have we need more (better quality) photo's, maybe the outer case too.

It may be it's one that someone made themselves, I certainly did and still have an ICD controller in a custom case and PSU

ICDPro.st 720 kB · 1 download

Thank you for reply! This is precious info. There is a sticker in the back. Photo attached :). This drive is autobooting on a 520st that I got with it. Several partitions. I assume this is 105s quantum drive. Around 100mb? I read something about comparator but this is beyond my knowledge for now.

Would you say that this piece of "art" is something precious now? Worth keeping? How much can it be worth? I have no idea.

Is there a possibility to connect some kind of a SCSI2sd device??? Or that does not make any sense? 

hdd.thumb.jpg.6884dadab8e77e6102b1302970f4e7ec.jpg

12 hours ago, SviRu said:

Is there a possibility to connect some kind of a SCSI2sd device??? Or that does not make any sense? 

As it has the second port, you should be able to connect any other 19 pin device to that port SCSI2SD would

work, you would need to set the device ID of the second device to be different to the attached device which

is normally set to device 0 .

Just had a closer look, your device is '0' nice to have the selector external.

Just now, TGB1718 said:

As it has the second port, you should be able to connect any other 19 pin device to that port SCSI2SD would

work, you would need to set the device ID of the second device to be different to the attached device which

is normally set to device 0 .

Just had a closer look, your device is '0' nice to have the selector external.

Yes :) Thanks!

5 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

I have systems setup with ICD AdSCSI Pro and a SCSI2SD and 32GB microSD cards.  HDDriver sees all 32GB. The only limitations are the number and size of the partitions, based on your preferences and TOS ver.

This SCSI2SD can be connected to the blue external port? Or do you have to do it internally? (could you point me into the right direction - what kind od SCSI2SD should I buy?)

Edited by SviRu

9 minutes ago, SviRu said:

great. can I buy one of those?? https://www.scsi2sd.com/index.php?title=SCSI2SD

Those are internal devices, you see the ribbon cable connected to your existing drive, those connect to that.

So your ribbon cable would need another 50 pin IDC connector on it, so you could connect 2 devices.

Assuming there's room for another device in the case.

There are other SCSI2SD devices that use the 19 pin connector

Have a look at this thread:-

Edited by TGB1718
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Those are internal devices, you see the ribbon cable connected to your existing drive, those connect to that.

So your ribbon cable would need another 50 pin IDC connector on it, so you could connect 2 devices.

Assuming there's room for another device in the case.

There are other SCSI2SD devices that use the 19 pin connector

Have a look at this thread:-

I think I would be fine with getting rid of this old 105mb drive. It is almost more than ancient :) Prone to failure for sure. So just to be sure. If I get rid of the internal HDD I would be good with one of mentioned SCSI2SD cards from the website? https://www.scsi2sd.com/

3 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

I have several of them in operation.  3 are the second drive in Megafile 44s along with the 44meg drives changed out for 200 meg drives. I made a Syquest tower, you can read about it here

This is great. I will have more noob questions for sure. I was Amiga all the way back then... jumped from 800xl to a500. I want to feel the atari ST magic that passed me by. 

Edited by SviRu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 2:44 PM, SoulBuster said:

I have several of them in operation.  3 are the second drive in Megafile 44s along with the 44meg drives changed out for 200 meg drives. I made a Syquest tower, you can read about it here

Came into possession of this drive. VORTEX HDPLUS. Does anyone know anything about this? It is MFM drive? I found that it might have   ACSI <-> ST506/412 inside?

Should I keep it? Considering I already have the AdSCSI Plus ST?

IMG_4040.jpeg

IMG_4051.jpeg

IMG_4050.jpeg

IMG_4047.jpeg

That is a 20 meg hd and the adapter is indeed ST506.

I have never seen that adapter before.  One of the chips looks like it reads "OMTI".

It has some historical value.

You could change out that adapter for an AdSCSI and make use of the case ... maybe a SCSI2SD, even.

2 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

That is a 20 meg hd and the adapter is indeed ST506.

I have never seen that adapter before.  One of the chips looks like it reads "OMTI".

It has some historical value.

You could change out that adapter for an AdSCSI and make use of the case ... maybe a SCSI2SD, even.

Thanks. It looks ancient. I guess you can only connect MFM HDD drive here. It is built like a tank 4.5kg. Really nice job. I'll try to sell it. 

If it's like my old setup, you would only need to remove the OMTI card/cables and drive, then use what looks like

an ICD interface under the OMTI card with a 50 pin cable directly to a replacement drive.

That's what I have now

Still have the OMTI card which used to work with an old Syquest 10MB removable drive, but although it runs (quite noisy)

and goes through a full format, it doesn't manage to read the disks afterward. :(

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

If it's like my old setup, you would only need to remove the OMTI card/cables and drive, then use what looks like

an ICD interface under the OMTI card with a 50 pin cable directly to a replacement drive.

That's what I have now

Still have the OMTI card which used to work with an old Syquest 10MB removable drive, but although it runs (quite noisy)

and goes through a full format, it doesn't manage to read the disks afterward. :(

So... there is a chance that after connecting 50PIN SCSI drive it might work? I thought this is non expandable solution. Did you have the same?

16 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I have the 50 pin internal connector from the IDC interface to a 4.5GB SCSI drive, not using the OMTI card

I have removed that. I got the drive on Ebay for about £8.99 including postage, sold as working and it did.

I had to used an adaptor, but I had many of those

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275605060451?

That is very interesting stuff! Do you by any chance have any photos of the current setup? Interior of the drive? And is there a capacity limit of the disk used? I was thinking about scsi2sd.