IGNORED

Hyper Sports port to the Atari ST

Hi,

I'm considering starting out a new arcade porting project and I'm thinking about tackling Hyper Sports.  I normally port games to the Amiga but with this one I'm considering doing both Amiga and ST.  My question is, is there an active ST scene still that would appreciate it?

Cheers, Graeme / Geezer Games 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:38 PM, ataricrypt said:

Yes please!!! :)

ST and/or STe ???

Yeah it would be to the stock Atari STFM.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:39 PM, Keops said:

That would be excellent!

Feel free to make a poll here, the group is very active: https://www.facebook.com/groups/133161394213

Would it be a dual boot disk?

Making it dual boot would depend on whether I can master the disk... not something I've done before, I recall Starglider was ST/Amiga on 1 floppy and some of the magazine cover disks too.

20 hours ago, ggn said:

Sure, it's all appreciated.

Even further, if you would share some of the source of your previous porting efforts, then perhaps someone would be inspired to do ST ports of them as well!

The source code to my games is published on my mcgeezer.itch.io page, Bomb Jack Beer Edition would be an interesting challenge to the ST.  Someone would probably have to preshift all of the sprites and masks to get the speed up.

19 hours ago, drfloyd said:

we need this port !

BUT it should be on STF

Atari STF is the Real ST, and I think that Hyper Sport can be arcade perfect even on STF.

I reckon Hyper Sports is totally possible on a standard ST... it's why I'm interested in doing it as a perfect port.  I may need to brush up on the Timer B / MFP stuff as I recall it was a bit tricky.

I'll start looking into and get the IDE setup.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DarkLord said:

These days, I can't see a good reason to code for less than 1 meg.

There are too many enhanced machines out there and upgrade

options to boot...

Don't "dumb it down" please...  :)

I agree. and even though i have STs and MegaSTs, i would still appreciate something with more punch. even if i didnt have any STe or higher, anyone can easily emulate one.

Regarding RAM, i really think 1MB minimum is fine, use any extra available if possible.

If I recall, the samples were of pretty low quality in the arcade--  lots of hiss,  wouldn't benefit from the STe sound chip unless they were rerecorded.   Maybe the blitter would help with sprite animation, but for the most part I think a vanilla ST could handle the game.