IGNORED

Lunar Patrol

OldStyle

If you want to introduce some new levels not present in the original version, you could use both graphics. Your new rocks are beautiful and, for this new graphic, I also like the previous red/brown coloring that interrupts the monotony of the green.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 12:05 AM, OldStyle said:

🌑 Zoom zoom, boom boom!  💥 Is there anything more that needs to be said?

lpstart.thumb.png.de3d8a0be5e19e9e7f9a893548b2b5dc.png

Well, a little more wouldn't hurt..  It's quite playable, but it's early, so expect a few bugs & differences compared to the arcade.  The demo is short however it will loop endlessly A-E (technically A through D, E isn't mapped) for as long as you stay alive.  Each loop will decrease the time it takes for bombs to spawn.  I recommend being aggressive in shooting them down because the drop trajectories aren't as wide as the arcade.  2 buttons needed!

This demo is the same build featured by @ZeroPage Homebrew.  I wish there was little more length to it, and of course the iconic theme music is sorely missing.  The stat/bonus screens will find their way in at some point..  In due time it'll come together, with extras & more flare (space permitting), and I will share builds as they continue to grow.  E-J will be up next!  Currently I'm working on the cityscape for that section.

Thanks to @ZeroPage Homebrew for squeezing this in, to all that took the time to catch this and the other kickass homebrews on the stream, and to those that will give this a shot.  Also special thanks to @Trebor, @sramirez2008, @darryl1970, @RevEng, @TrekMD, @DrVenkman and many others behind the scenes that always have been patient and supportive.

Buckle up, enjoy! Happy New Year! 🍻🥳

LunarPatrol144k25.a78 144.13 kB · 143 downloads

The only other games for the 7800 that has the look of this one is the 1942 Demo and the Mario Bros homebrew. Very cartoony (my FAVORITE style of game art) with rich colors and solid looking characters and background graphics.  I think the scrolling pacman games have that same look and I think it's running in 320 resolution.

Is this because these games are running in a different graphics mode? 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 2:05 PM, Defender_2600 said:

If you want to introduce some new levels not present in the original version, you could use both graphics. Your new rocks are beautiful and, for this new graphic, I also like the previous red/brown coloring that interrupts the monotony of the green.

I'd like to.  The thought of having different locales to choose from has been lingering in my head for a while.  There are several things I'd like to add not only with graphics but also gameplay as well.  Of course there's a limit as to how much more and I don't want get carried away although it's fun to toss out feelers like the orange bg.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, OldStyle said:

I'd like to.  The thought of having different locales to choose from has been lingering in my head for a while.  There are several things I'd like to add not only with graphics but also gameplay as well.  Of course there's a limit as to how much more and I don't want get carried away although it's fun to toss out feelers like the orange bg.

Orange isn't bad either. Both can't hurt.

• Like 1

Why not throw in backgrounds of some real Earth cities, especially ones known to have potholes? The theme could be a post apocalyptic patrol... 

And you could replace some of the enemy ships with Chinese balloons... 

Or you could use fictional/fantasy cities, like Atlantis, Coruscant, or Portland... 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, christo930 said:

The only other games for the 7800 that has the look of this one is the 1942 Demo and the Mario Bros homebrew. Very cartoony (my FAVORITE style of game art) with rich colors and solid looking characters and background graphics.  I think the scrolling pacman games have that same look and I think it's running in 320 resolution.

Hello!  Hmm, MB you say??  There could be a connection 😎

23 hours ago, christo930 said:

Is this because these games are running in a different graphics mode? 

Yes Pacman (by the 320 madman @PacManPlus) is at 320 and the rest are running in lower res.  Lower res provides flexibility with colors however there's a higher cost for using more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

That is a photo of a TV correct? Perhaps that is doing more of the muting than anything else. I'm sure this is gonna look and play great.

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

That image looks much clearer for sure! :) It's just the photos not doing your work justice.

My goof on the first image.  I don't have a 7800 so all of these are shots from a78, warm settings.  I probably had the emu paused when the shot was taken.  Well, I have made a few adjustments and extra details since.  Here's a short vid showing how it looks in motion:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OldStyle said:

My goof on the first image.  I don't have a 7800 so all of these are shots from a78, warm settings.  I probably had the emu paused when the shot was taken.  Well, I have made a few adjustments and extra details since.  Here's a short vid showing how it looks in motion:

Looks great!  Is it possible to see the results of an increase to the luminance selections for the green values by one or two, and then perform similar, seeing the results also, for the $2x alternative background scheme?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldStyle said:

Hey! Like this?

bggrn9.thumb.png.38b1a058b92c117b6627764478e5dd12.png

Hmm... it is possible shift these values in the middle of the level section? I could see the original darker values and these newer values being used to simulate day/night changes across the surface.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 10:58 PM, OldStyle said:

Hello!  Hmm, MB you say??  There could be a connection 😎

Yes Pacman (by the 320 madman @PacManPlus) is at 320 and the rest are running in lower res.  Lower res provides flexibility with colors however there's a higher cost for using more.

I prefer 320 modes as well. Seeing another 320 game means more evidence that the Atari is superior to the NES!  :D 

Anyway, great work!!! Please continue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Hmm... it is possible shift these values in the middle of the level section? I could see the original darker values and these newer values being used to simulate day/night changes across the surface.

Keep that grass green behind buggy like first pic and do the rest like second and nailed it! But I'll take anyway, haha

• Like 1