IGNORED

LsADX graphics demo

Defender_2600

Hi all,

while I'm still working on the SNES 4bpp graphics that I showed recently, due to some unexpected and welcome circumstances I found myself also playing with another kind of graphics... so I'm pleased to share this LsADX graphics demo for Atari 7800...

The demo accurately replicates the original map from LsADX, the map is made up of 256 unique screens, you can only walk and explore the landscape and there are no enemies and dungeons. The demo is considered done, there will be no further development and, for obvious reasons, no cartridges will be released.

This demo just wants to show some graphics potential of the 160B 4bpp mode with up to 12+1 colors for tiles/sprites. For the individual tiles I've used more colors than the original version and I've also included anti-aliasing. I've redrawn the player sprite with 12 colors, therefore it is an unedited and exclusive version for the 7800.

The demo in full 160B can have, beyond the player sprite, others 4 or 5 160B (or 9 or 10 160A) sprites of this size in the same horizontal area (this has been tested), and if it is necessary to have more sprites it is still possible to reduce the horizontal resolution of the screen from 160 at 128 pixels.

Huge thanks to @playsoft for his excellent code and for offering me his kind help. And a special thanks to @Fragmare for the great job with the music, and to @Trebor for the precious palettes.

Happy New Year!

--------------------------------------------

* ROM removed. I am sorry.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Direct mode 😍

I would use mixed direct mode 160A+160B for tiles and sprites

Then you could have 25 colours and more sprites plus 4 directional scrolling 

Mix direct scroll

Yes, I know. And when needed you can still update the palettes for each screen but that requires a lot of additional design work and I really wouldn't go crazy composing a 160A+160B mosaic for 256 unique screens for a total of 245,759 tiles, 4x8 pixels. :)   But in the end, would the aesthetic result be better? Usually this type of game doesn't use many sprites on screen and using the 160A mode for the background you will still have a loss of color depth in some areas. By the way, I'm already using 25 colors on screen, as one palette is dedicated to background graphics and the other palette is dedicated to sprites and there are no colors shared between the two palettes, excluding black. As for the scrolling, it was not included by choice, as the original version does not use it.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 8:53 AM, Eagle said:

Direct mode 😍

Mix direct scroll

Obviously there are pros and cons to different approaches as always. This just uses the entire 16K cart RAM for a 160x192 160B bitmap. So you are restricted to 13 colours for the background but you have complete freedom to place them where you want. In the case of the DX graphics their natural tile size is 16 pixels wide, so 10 x 160A objects would take less cycles. However, with the SNES graphics the tiles are likely to be 8 pixels wide, so 20 x 160A objects is slightly more expensive in cycles. I don't see why 4 directional scrolling would not be possible. Anyway I attach the build in case you fancy playing around with it.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Hi all,

while I'm still working on the SNES 4bpp graphics that I showed recently, due to some unexpected and welcome circumstances I found myself also playing with another kind of graphics... so I'm pleased to share this LsADX graphics demo for Atari 7800...

The demo accurately replicates the original map from LsADX, the map is made up of 256 unique screens, you can only walk and explore the landscape and there are no enemies and dungeons. The demo is considered done, there will be no further development and, for obvious reasons, no cartridges will be released.

This demo just wants to show some graphics potential of the 160B 4bpp mode with up to 12+1 colors for tiles/sprites. For the individual tiles I've used more colors than the original version and I've also included anti-aliasing. I've redrawn the player sprite with 12 colors, therefore it is an unedited and exclusive version for the 7800.

The demo in full 160B can have, beyond the player sprite, others 4 or 5 160B (or 9 or 10 160A) sprites of this size in the same horizontal area (this has been tested), and if it is necessary to have more sprites it is still possible to reduce the horizontal resolution of the screen from 160 at 128 pixels.

Huge thanks to @playsoft for his excellent code and for offering me his kind help. And a special thanks to @Fragmare for the great job with the music, and to @Trebor for the precious palettes.

Happy New Year!

LsADX_demo.a78 256.13 kB · 12 downloads

918179919_7800LsADXgraphicsdemo.thumb.PNG.071ec876751f36a98cfb730a1d830224.PNG

You can do the same with 320C!

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

Direct mode 😍

Mix direct scroll

I know right?
(p.s. please unban me from your experiments page. I won't talk or anything. I've learned my lesson. I'm 100% ok if you don't want to, but please.....?)

Edited by Ecernosoft

15 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

LsADX_demo.a78 256.13 kB · 12 downloads

Happy new year @Defender_2600! Keep amazing us all with your tech demos, please!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, playsoft said:

Anyway I attach the build in case you fancy playing around with it.

I'll try next week and make my proof of concept :) 

9 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

please unban me from your experiments page

It's not up to me, ask mods.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

I'll try next week and make my proof of concept :) 

It's not up to me, ask mods.

I am really glad that you give me a second chance @Eagle. I know that I did some bad things earlier in my life in atariage, and I'm trying to clean that up. Thanks. (P.S. Happy new year!)

Edited by Ecernosoft

16 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

LsADX_demo.a78 256.13 kB · 14 downloads

Hold on.. I had an idea.

Instead of that, (it would cost you some resolution) have 8 hues and 4 luma, (Or 5 luma and 8 hues for 40 colors) and do some "fake" 160C to get 32 colors!  

On 1/1/2023 at 8:25 PM, Eagle said:

I'll try next week and make my proof of concept

I have to make an important clarification here. The 7800 LsADX graphics can be fully realized in 160A direct mode, simply because the original game graphics are 2bpp. So while I was answering I had the SNES 4bpp graphics fixed in my head as the demo engine has to use that 4bpp graphics and only later, just as a digression on the original project, I used the same approach with the LsADX graphics. I can split my LsADX graphics into a 16x24 grid and find many tiles that can use 160A mode. However, using the 160B mode the advantages I have already mentioned still remain, in particular the possibility of converting all the graphics and inserting them into the code in a shorter time and a better graphical result since for the individual tiles I've used more colors than the original version and I've also included anti-aliasing.

2127323963_7800LsADXgraphicsdemo.thumb.PNG.9dd2f00b3515814a42e359d17d989341.PNG

That said, even with the future SNES 4bpp graphics conversion, my goal wasn't to show the full 7800 graphics potential, in fact I had already specified "using a single 13 color palette (just to make things easier)", but I wanted to share a approach to 7800 graphics which, in certain contexts, guarantees a good result in sustainable development times, an aspect not to be underestimated when you want to complete a project.

Personally I'm satisfied with this demo because, besides being a proof of concept, we got all the map of the game running on real hardware and a consistent part of the graphics is done. Of course, regardless of all that, I've always thought your 7800 experiments are amazing.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Please finish this! I am too excited. 😃

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. But as I said, the demo is considered done and there will be no further development, for obvious reasons related to intellectual property (IP). However, the exercise done with this could lead to something original for 7800.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mksmith said:

Fantastic Marco!  

Indeed!

This porting demo porting of the DX version is absolutely unbelievably magnificent - seeing screen captures is one thing, but hands-on is a whole different animal.

Marco's work has proven second to none, time and time again, and the collaboration with Paul and Fragmare here is perfection.

The 7800 graphics, not only rivals, but outshines the original GBC source.  The look of Link especially, appears more like it is from the SNES or GBA title.  Amazingly, awesome work!  Super impressive, and I truly appreciate it being shared with the community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

The 7800 graphics, not only rivals, but outshines the original GBC source.  The look of Link especially, appears more like it is from the SNES or GBA title.

Heartfelt thanks, Robert! :)

I'm happy with the result obtained with the Link sprites in 4bpp, all the 7800 graphics and in particular these sprites want to be a tribute to the original pixel art.

675068961_Atari7800LinkspritesVSGameBoyColor.gif.21de11e4f77c40ed7905544aa01164cc.gif

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. But as I said, the demo is considered done and there will be no further development, for obvious reasons related to intellectual property (IP). However, the exercise done with this could lead to something original for 7800.

*cough* The Legend of Marco

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, OldStyle said:

*cough* The Legend of Marco

*cough* *cough* It's Conner time 1 atari 7800 *cough* *cough*

I am 100% using this for a demoscene game. It would look great, even master-system level!

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Wow, this is something else. Nice Job Marco.

Maybe you might want to make ports of your (awesome, rad, tubular, whatever crazy word) games to use this mode, it would be a stand-out feature! Just saying.

It would be a lot of work though....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4