IGNORED

K-VADER, a new Intellivision / TV POWWW game

decle

Happy New Year everyone. For the traditional January 1st posting this year I'd like to share a little something I've been fiddling with...

K-VADER is a single player, TV POWWW style game for the Inty.  It's based on 1NVADER for the C64 by Darren Foulds (I recommend you also check out 1NVADER, as it's a more comprehensive game with 2 player competitive and co-op modes).  In K-VADER you have 30 or 60 seconds to shoot down as many kamikaze aliens as possible.  Luckily, the invading hoard are not the greatest strategic thinkers, and they hurl themselves at you one at a time!  You'd be on easy street if it wasn't for your canon's glacial reload times, and the fact that every time it fires, your turret reverses direction.

K-VADER should work on a stock Inty using the LTO Flash or similar, although it will probably look better in JzIntv.  On real hardware the game can be played using a regular controller or the TV POWWW replica voice trigger.

The following zip archive contains a ROM of K-VADER, an instruction manual, overlay and box art.  As always, all feedback is most welcome...

kvader.zip

I hope you enjoy K-VADER and that 2023 is a good year for you and your loved ones.

Cheers

decle

Edited by decle
Updated the ROM image to fix a couple of small bugs
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 15

42 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

That’s hilarious, what a wonderful tribute. 

It will always be TV-PIXX to me because of the New York station WPIX that had a similar setup. There’s an idea for a variation you can make if you want to scoop up all the nostalgic New Yorkers. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Powww

11-Alive!

Ran home from school everyday to catch PIXX as well as Dastardly and Muttley. Flying or Racing, either was good!  LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
Posted (edited)

Happy New Year everyone,

I'm afraid I'm a little behind on my usual New Year's Day post.  However, I have managed to update the version of K-Vader at the top of thread to fix a couple of small bugs.

I'd also like to congratulate @sramirez2008 on his K-Vader high score.  180 is well beyond anything that I've achieved in the 30 second game (although I find the reflection in the screen to be a little disturbing!):

image.thumb.png.a9be074115aa1ba0f27595d2f4a53711.png

By my reckoning, they hit 14 aliens and only missed 5 shots!  I'm now considering what the perfect game would look like. :ponder:  I guess it would score about 245 in the short game, and 465 for the long one.  Anyway, I think @sramirez2008 is victorious in the 2023 K-Vader high score challenge, and if they PM me, I'll arrange to send one of these as their prize (box courtesy of @Steve Jones):

image.thumb.png.dd6e82ce47ad5f9e488ec2f3268c1f20.png

Wishing everyone a great 2024, cheers

decle

Edited by decle
Added box credit
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

On 1/2/2023 at 12:27 PM, 1980gamer said:

11-Alive!

Ran home from school everyday to catch PIXX as well as Dastardly and Muttley. Flying or Racing, either was good!  LOL

Channel 11 in Pittsburgh did 11-Alive in the 1970s.

That was when they were still WIIC before they changed to WPXI

11 hours ago, decle said:

Happy New Year everyone,

I'm afraid I'm a little behind on my usual New Year's Day post.  However, I have managed to update the version of K-Vader at the top of thread to fix a couple of small bugs.

I'd also like to congratulate @sramirez2008 on his K-Vader high score.  180 is well beyond anything that I've achieved in the 30 second game (although I find the reflection in the screen to be a little disturbing!):

By my reckoning, they hit 14 aliens and only missed 5 shots!  I'm now considering what the perfect game would look like. :ponder:  I guess it would score about 245 in the short game, and 465 for the long one.  Anyway, I think @sramirez2008 is victorious in the 2023 K-Vader high score challenge, and if they PM me, I'll arrange to send one of these as their prize (box courtesy of @Steve Jones):

decle

Errrr. Your adopted Canadian brother thinks this is very cool. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, decle said:

Happy New Year everyone,

decle

Happy new year Decle!

Would it be possible to get a CIB K-Vader?

If yes, how?

I would love to get it…

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1