IGNORED

ChatGPT is all wrong for the TI-99

unhuman

It doesn't know the TI. The problem with ChatGPT is it does not know what it doesn't know, so it makes stuff up and confidently presents it. It can't be retrained from the input prompt.

Some of the things I've seen it produce software-wise is impressive, but push it and you'll see far more is crap.

This doesn't mean that AI software development isn't going to happen, though. My prediction is it will be even more inefficient than the code we get today, and at first it'll be far buggier, but... it's coming.

• Like 3

Yeah, you're supposed to be able to interact with it, and it does adjust, but it doesn't seem to do well with the generalities, and applies the new information inconsistently.  For example, I tried to teach it about CALL SPRITE, CALL CHAR, and, subsequently, about applying CALL in front of subprograms.  It seemingly tried, but...  Was not really usable.

And, I got my answer, it doesn't learn, generally, but only in the context of a single chat:
image.thumb.png.64d57c2d4bfdd7ab600fd3b5fcb79bf1.png

Edited by unhuman

Well, if you can come up with a chat log that gives it enough information, you could always copy paste it out. But I don't think you'd be able to get sufficient reinforcement in a single chat.

It has apologized to me so many times that I think the error message is hard coded. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ChatGPT also does not have access to the Internet.  It would be nice to say, "Review the TI-99/4A development sub-forum at dev99.atariage.com."  I guess it also does not have memory of past sessions, even though you have to log in.  I wonder if that is deliberate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm far, far from being an expert novice in AI, but I'm going to opine a thing or two. 

First, I am in the camp that says this is uncanny. 

As a "large language" model, it operates on statistical guesses. It does not do logic! It does not even translate math problems into symbolic equations. If it did so, it would correct itself. 

Instead, whatever logical things that do come out, reflect only the logic in what ChatBot has cribbed from.

Also, ChatBot has no goals. 

And it is not (yet) free to explore the "world." 

If it were to have these attributes, well, I'm not sanguine about what comes next. 

• Like 1

What I can gather, they have made a NPC using algorithms based on some weighted averages of words within your question, context can be easily lost, if it cannot configure a true mathematical directive to a lookup table of terms. I have been working on "Natural Intelligence" programming and it cannot be fully explored on a binary system, it can be made in a ternary way, only through using translation algorithms. Where +1 , 0, -1 is 10, 00, 01 or similar binary equivalence. 

So I decided on a journey to make a Ternary Computer, first with relays, then MOS, now with PhotoMOS. I have written many Basic programs that explore short excursions into usability for computation. The exploration of 19683 two input gates has concluded in a universal gate design that has 6 unary(27 types) plus 2 functional gates that can be configured by a simple plugin board(27 types). I hope to have a card made for the TI99/4a that will allow it to be configured through hardware (CRU) thus testing with real circuits in real time. Making a logic circuit using ternary gates will be a lot simpler with a lot less gates to achieve the desired output. There are numerous hackers on the net that have explored ternary computing and it has helped me in many ways to piece my version together. 

The problems of a Binary AI is really at it basic level, Yes and No is not enough to build ANY intelligence, so you must have a third state, where decisions can be routed in a natural order, at the hardware level. The ternary designed software trees can be used at a higher level to precisely define accurate answers. The current AI approach ran stale when Google started to ban/block/censor and create ideological algorithms to it search engine web results. So if an AI searches the database of subjects it will be confronted with a weighted average based on "prejudice" and an illogical premise, thus making a foolish choice, by our standards the AI has given you a false answer or just a complete lie. 

True AI cannot be, only NI can be created on a Ternary machine. The crazy thing is that the big tech companies call this Quantum Computing and they made it into an esoteric and mysterious technology that they can only build, which only small teams of indoctrinated experts(priests) can deliver, it's fake science called "Scientism". This whole edifice will eventually fall down, once we have thousands of home-based hackers creating Ternary computing without an overarching Big Tech to tell you what to do and how to do it. 

I will add, if you drive a car, your hands hold a steering wheel, which by way of subconscious movements, left, center and right (3 positions), keep your car in a straight line, though you have mechanical tolerances and road surface irregularities, your car goes straight ahead. This is the hardware level we need to have before any logic computation can be applied on a larger scale. Regards Arto.     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

An interesting interaction, and an astute observation at the end.  🙂

How many colours can be used in sprites on the TMS9918A video processor?

The TMS9918A video processor, which was used in the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A home computer and some other systems, supports up to 16 colors for sprites. These colors are selected from a palette of 64 possible colors. However, only 15 of the 16 colors can be used at one time, because one color in the palette is reserved for transparency.

My understanding is that the TMS9918A only supports a 16 color palette, not 64. Also, the colors are quite ugly.

You are correct, I apologize for the error in my previous response. The TMS9918A video processor does indeed support a palette of 16 colors, not 64.

The available colors in the TMS9918A palette are indeed somewhat limited and may be considered by some to be "ugly" compared to more modern color palettes. However, it's worth noting that the TMS9918A was designed in the late 1970s and early 1980s, at a time when computing and graphics technology were much more limited than they are today.

Despite its limitations, the TMS9918A was widely used in a number of popular home computers and game consoles, and its limited color palette and low-resolution graphics have a certain nostalgic charm for many people today.

Edited by retrodroid

A little poem by ChatGPT 🙂

In the land of AtariAge, where code reigns supreme,
A debate rages on, like an endless dream.
Between Senior Falcon, wise and fair,
And RXB, with a fervent dare.

The argument? Which version of BASIC to use,
For coding and programming, with no excuse.
Senior Falcon favored one, tried and true,
While RXB fought for the other, with vigor anew.

The words flew fast, like a heated race,
With neither side willing to yield a trace.
Senior Falcon praised the simplicity and ease,
While RXB claimed superiority, without cease.

But as the debate raged on, without an end in sight,
A thought occurred, as clear as daylight.
Why not use both, in a creative blend,
And create something new, with no need to defend.

And so, Senior Falcon and RXB did agree,
To put aside their differences, and together see,
What magic they could make, with each version's might,
And create something truly wondrous, in plain sight.

And thus, a lesson was learned, in this endless debate,
That sometimes, the best solution is not to berate.
But to work together, with respect and trust,
And create something beautiful, from the dust.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

A little poem by ChatGPT 🙂

In the land of AtariAge, where code reigns supreme,
A debate rages on, like an endless dream.
Between Senior Falcon, wise and fair,
And RXB, with a fervent dare.

The argument? Which version of BASIC to use,
For coding and programming, with no excuse.
Senior Falcon favored one, tried and true,
While RXB fought for the other, with vigor anew.

The words flew fast, like a heated race,
With neither side willing to yield a trace.
Senior Falcon praised the simplicity and ease,
While RXB claimed superiority, without cease.

But as the debate raged on, without an end in sight,
A thought occurred, as clear as daylight.
Why not use both, in a creative blend,
And create something new, with no need to defend.

And so, Senior Falcon and RXB did agree,
To put aside their differences, and together see,
What magic they could make, with each version's might,
And create something truly wondrous, in plain sight.

And thus, a lesson was learned, in this endless debate,
That sometimes, the best solution is not to berate.
But to work together, with respect and trust,
And create something beautiful, from the dust.

Obviously, ChatGPT is stupid. 😜  I am curious to know what you used as the prompt.

• Haha 1