IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2023

Atari 7800 Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2023

Below is a list of all the Atari 7800 homebrew games that have either been physically released, completed or have released an updated WIP in 2023. Please let me know if there are any missing or inaccurate entries. Note: Games are only added to this list if there is a playable binary or video of the game.

Physical Release

Completed

WIP

Other Platforms:

More Info:

• Demo: Not the full game. Limited either by levels, time, lives or in some other way
  • Video Only: No public binary has ever been posted of the game.
  • Completed: The date the game was declared 'Completed', 'Done' or 'Finished'
  • Dates listed are in relation to the Pacific Time Zone
  • Games that are described as 'Proof of Concept', 'Not A Game', 'Experiment' etc.. will not be listed here
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

I’m sorry, I had to :) 

Happy new year everyone! Excited to see what the 7800 crew will bring us.

Please don't clutter threads with your posts unless you have something on topic to contribute. Also, please do not reply to this post with another apology.

- James

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

That guy is banned from AtariAge. Promoting a banned users material isn't exactly a nice thing to do, IMO.

Not promoting, I'm keeping an unbiased list of ALL releases across the 2600, 7800, 5200, 8-Bit, Lynx and Jaguar systems as I have for years.

- James

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Not promoting, I'm keeping an unbiased list of ALL releases across the 2600, 7800, 5200, 8-Bit, Lynx and Jaguar systems as I have for years.

- James

This is AtariAge though and that guy and his wares are not welcome here. Unbiased lists that include such individuals would be much better suited outside of the places said people are not welcome. You are well aware and know better, I'm sure of it.

EDIT: You also think it's ok to bring unwelcome guests to other peoples homes just cause your "unbiased" towards their differences? I doubt it. It's the exact same thing.

Edited by Shawn

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

That guy is banned from AtariAge. Promoting a banned users material isn't exactly a nice thing to do, IMO.

Shawn, I can fully understand your motivations but it doesn't seem like a nice thing to talk about it publicly, IMO. James really provides a professional service and you are both nice guys.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

This is AtariAge though and that guy and his wares are not welcome here. Unbiased lists that include such individuals would be much better suited outside of the places said people are not welcome. You are well aware and know better, I'm sure of it.

Yes, you are correct, I'm aware that individual has been banned from AtariAge. I don't know them and I'm not actively promoting their games or anyone's games with this list, it's simply a list of new games that exist for each of the Atari platforms, without comment or judgment. You are the first person to bring up the issue of removing a game from my list in the five years that I've been maintain them, but there's a first time for everything! 🙂

As you are the one with the issue, I think it would be interesting to see what you would do if it was your list. What rules would you implement and and how would you evaluate any possible future games or individuals on whether they should or should not be listed? As it would turn into a handpicked list of games, there would need to be a concrete list of rules (or a list of banned people) posted so that no future mistakes are made and so that you would not have to endlessly answer people's questions why a game is/isn't on the list.

For example: How do would you handle someone who isn't a member of AtariAge? Should you assume they've been banned or would you contact each of the mods for that specific platform to see if they've wronged anyone in the past? What if that mod hasn't been around long enough to know the history of the person? Also, there's a large contingency of Atari 8-Bit developers that post their games in places other than AtariAge. Should you assume there's some sort of issue between them and somebody at AtariAge before you added them to the list?

There's also another solution to all of this, you could ignore the lists I make and put me on ignore. I've put literally thousands of hours into maintaining these lists over the last five years trying to provide a service to this community for all the amazing things they've created and I've enjoyed. I've never had a complaint about the game lists before this and people seem to enjoy the information contained in them.

If I'm mistaken and I'm in the wrong here, I will remove any individuals or the full lists themselves and abide by any rules the moderators of this site ask me to do.

In the end, it's not my site and I will fully comply with the rules of the website in order to keep the peace. This is one of the best and most supportive communities I have ever been a part of and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that relationship.

- James

• Like 16

10 hours ago, Shawn said:

EDIT: You also think it's ok to bring unwelcome guests to other peoples homes just cause your "unbiased" towards their differences? I doubt it. It's the exact same thing.

It's just a list.

Actually, it's the only comprehensive and authoritative maintained list since 2019. I think we'd all rather it be on AtariAge than anywhere else, and that James' lists remain exhaustive rather than subject to curation or censoring. Trying to add a level of editorial judgement invites endless questions for years to come like "what about this game" that, like your post, draw more attention to a ban and invite speculation or even debate.

I'm not arguing any of the rules, as the status of the person in question should remain per whatever rules AtariAge makes. I appreciate and support very much how these forums are run. Like ZPH, James' lists, and the AtariAge store, they are wonderful community services that bring a little bit of distracting fun, nostalgia, and celebration into our lives.

I also genuinely appreciate that you likely feel the same way about this place, and have far more personal context that I don't know about. You probably have a good reason to feel how you do, and have every right to question it and express your feelings. I can understand it upset you. For what it's worth, every now and then, albeit very rarely, something here upsets me too. I try to keep scrolling though, rather than let it get to me, perhaps sometimes discounting and even ignoring future posts like it if I see it's a pattern.

But it's just a list.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Yes, you are correct, I'm aware that individual has been banned from AtariAge. I don't know them and I'm not actively promoting their games or anyone's games with this list, it's simply a list of new games that exist for each of the Atari platforms, without comment or judgment. You are the first person to bring up the issue of removing a game from my list in the five years that I've been maintain them, but there's a first time for everything! 🙂

The direct link to the person's banned profile was what led me to comment as I did. You seem like a well enough to do fella to know that was and is in very poor taste. That's all.

11 hours ago, RevEng said:

I'd rather the list be accurate.

ZPH wasn't around at that time, but I'd say the same for the extreme example of 2600 Pigs In the Castle. Sometimes truth is ugly.

I agree, a complete list is great. Linking to his banned AtariAge profile is not. There was no need for that and it was in very poor taste. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Sorry, I don't see it, so no, we're not all agreeing it was in poor taste. Linking to someone's profile doesn't equate to promotion or glorification. You're making that leap, but there was no endorsement in the text before or after the link. Being in list itself isn't an endorsement either. 

To me the fact that the linked profile says "banned" right under his name makes the link a cautionary tale of how badly one can f*ck up. But I'm bringing that interpretation in myself. James wasn't sending that message either. Sometimes a link is just a link.

• Like 11